Beware of the Grinch - Protecting Yourself From Theft
Each year during the weeks before winter break, The University of Texas Police Department (UTPD) reports a marked increase in on-campus theft of laptops and other personal electronic devices.
Remember that laptops, cell phones, iPhones, iPods, iPads and other electronic devices are prime targets for thieves during the holidays. Follow these suggestions to protect the physical safety of your university and personal property:
- Lock the door when you leave your desk or office, even for a short period of time.
- Use a computer security cable to lock your computer to your desk or workstation.
- Lock your laptop in a desk drawer when you aren’t using it.
- Don't leave your laptop or other devices unattended in a public area, even the restroom.
- Pay attention when unknown people enter your area. Ask them to identify themselves or offer identification.
While these suggestions won’t stop criminals, they will reduce your chances of becoming a victim and minimize loss or damage if you are.
If you fall prey to crime or witness a suspicious activity, please contact the UTPD at 471-4441.