2010 Year-End Project Updates
Here are some quick year-end updates on Information Technology Services (ITS) projects:
- Central Data Storage – ITS is working to add significant data storage capacity during the spring 2011 semester. The economies of scalle will reduce the rate per GB. Several colleges and units have already expressed interest in taking advantage of this expanded data storage capability to address future needs at less cost.The next Customer Steering Committee is scheduled for January 13, 2011.
- Mainframe Replacement – Purchase orders have been placed for the new mainframe and mainframe disk storage. Delivery of both to the new data center is expected before the end of the year. Installation, configuration, migration of data, and testing will begin in January 2011. The hot cut-over from the current machine in the old data center will most likely occur in February/March 2011.
- Student Email –Contract negotiations are well underway and a project charter for the student email implementation is being created. An implementation project steering committee will be established to confirm and oversee the implementation approach, including provisioning, migration strategy, service offerings, etc. The goal is to start work mid-January, and have the new email service available in the April/May 2011 timeframe.
- Virtual Desktops (vDesk) for computer labs on campus – The next phase of the vDesk initiative, which focuses on the feasibility of extending vDesk as a sustained service for campus usage, is underway. Results will be presented to IT Governance during the spring 2011 semester.
- University Data Center – The biggest moves into the new University Data Center will take place over Winter Break. Final preparations to move ~300 customer and ITS-managed devices between now and the start of the spring 2011 semester are being refines and finalized. Anyone planning to use any ITS services during the break should remember to check the UDC site to confirm availability.