Microsoft Windows 7 is the latest Windows operating system. Two versions are available from the Campus Computer Store: Windows Vista Enterprise (for departments only) and Windows Vista Ultimate (for students and work-at-home faculty and staff).
- Significant performance improvements allow Windows 7 to sleep and resume more quickly and use a smaller memory footprint.
- Full support for 64-bit processors, allowing Windows 7 to handle larger amounts of RAM.
- Includes improvements to built-in security features such as BitLocker drive encryption, file system encryption, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and more.
Microsoft has published specifications for Windows 7 Capable PCs. The following are the minimum requirements:
- 1 GHz processor or faster
- 1 GB of RAM or greater
- 16 GB available hard disk or greater
- A graphics card or chip capable of DirectX 9 graphics
When running Windows 7, it is important to note that the more RAM that is available, the better the experience will be. Also, an additional 1 GB of RAM and 15 GB of available hard drive space is required for Windows XP mode, which makes Windows 7 backwards-compatible with Windows XP software.
There are several purchasing options for Windows 7. Refer to the Purchasing page for more information about different options and how much they cost.