Project: Secure Message Upgrade
Secure Message Upgrade Project
9/8/2014 - The project is close to completing the Build phase. We are working with the vendor and the Identity and Access Management team to implement authorization and authentication for secure messaging. We expect to complete this task in September, at which point we will begin testing the solution end-to-end. Deployment is scheduled for October, 2014.
The Secure Message System provides authorized employees in The University of Texas System with a way to transmit sensitive messages and data securely to anyone who can log in to UT Direct using a UT EID and password. In addition to being available only to authorized recipients, these secure messages expire after a specified period of time, so that old sensitive information does not remain available indefinitely. The Secure Message System was designed primarily to safeguard the personal information of people or entities doing business with the UT System. Sensitive personal information may be required for some official transactions - paying tuition or fees, for example.
The existing Secure Message System is difficult to use and lacks many features desired by the users of the system. Therefore, an upgrade of the Secure Messaging System was recommended by the Administrative IT Leaders group.
The Customer Steering Committee for the Secure Message System Upgrade project has approved the selection of Cisco/Ironport Email Encryption with Data Loss Prevention as the replacement for the current Secure Message System.
Goals of this project include the following:
- Enhance the user experience related to sending and reading secure messages.
- Enhance the features provided by the system, including, but not limited to:
- Enhancing allowed message formatting to include HTML and other generally acceptable message formats.
- Increasing the number of recipients allowed per message.
- Making it easier to send and read messages.
- Adding secure "reply to" functionality.
- Enhancing tracking and reporting functionality.
- Develop support processes for maintenance of the system.
- Ensure that solution meets all accessibility, legal and security requirements.