The University of Texas at Austin

Services & Solutions

ITS Billing Help

Annual Bill

What is the Core Billing charge?

The charge is $500 times the total number of Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) employees per budget group.

How is an FTE defined?

Full-time and part-time appointments are measured by the same standard. The FTE is computed using appointment period (beginning and end date), percent of appointment time, and basis (either 9 or 12 month salary spread).

(Length of Appointment / Basis of Appointment) X Percent of Appointment Time = FTE

When are the FTEs determined?

The FTE count for the FY 2014-2015 annual bill is based on FTEs appointed from 9/1/2013 through 6/30/2014. Changes in FTEs after June 30, 2014 will not be reflected in the FY 2014-2015 annual bill, and cannot be adjusted for in the initial Core Billing. Departments may process a VT6 to make any account changes.

How is the account determined and how can it be changed?

The account is determined by the accounts to which your FTEs are appointed. We cannot make changes to the accounts that are billed; however, a department may process a VT6 to make any necessary account changes.

Why are some of my budget groups not assessed the Core Billing charge?

  • Centrally funded and E&G accounts are not assessed the fee directly; Information Technology Services receives central funding to offset billing the department directly.
  • Sponsored Projects (26s) are assessed overhead which covers the Core Billing charge.
  • An EID with an FTE of less than 0.05 is not assessed the fee.

What services are included in the Core Billing charge?

For a list of included services, please go to

Monthly Services Bill

Why does the bill include both trip and order charges? Aren’t they the same thing?

They are not the same. The order charge is a processing fee that is assessed per order. The trip charge is assessed when a technician is sent out into the field to work on an order. Please note that even when you cancel a work request, the order charge will still be assessed.

I did not order Caller ID; can I remove it?

Current phone models are equipped automatically with caller ID. You can remove the service, but doing so may limit the features on your phone.

The bill includes a charge for a work order, but we paid that work order last month. What is this charge for?

Labor is assessed and closed monthly. You may see charges for a work order on multiple bills if the labor is assessed over time and if the work order is completed in a separate month.

Who authorized this work order? Can I get a copy?

Yes, as long as you are an authorized contact or signer on the account charged, we can provide you a copy of the original work order.

This statement should come to me but the contact listed is Joe Smith, Can you change that?

No, the statement is sent to the individual who is designated as the accounting contact in DEFINE GG5. Whoever is in charge of your DEFINE desks can change the accounting contact for you.

This location (office, etc.) is no longer occupied by us. Is this charge ours?

If you have vacated a location and a charge for it still appears on your bill, there are two ways to remove it.

  1. During the 30-day period after the annual bill you may designate lines, phones, and other services to be removed from your account. We will suspend the services and then disconnect them.
  2. If another department is using the line and/or equipment, the charges can be moved to another account. We will need an authorized signer of the destination account to provide the account number and the approval to move the items to it.

If the change occurs during another portion of the fiscal year, you can fill out an ITS Telephone Service Request form and we will disconnect or move lines, numbers, and other items.

Why does the bill include two charges for a particular phone number: one for a line and one for a M9616 or other phone model? Is that a duplicate charge?

The line, physical phone unit, SmartVoice, and class package all appear as separate line items on your bill. You may see the same phone number associated with a variety of itemized charges because of this, but it is not necessarily duplication. If you believe duplicate charges exist, please contact the ITS Business Office by sending an e-mail message to or call (512) 471-5800, and we will correct items as necessary.

If I change the account number to which a phone is charged, what happens to the money that was paid from the original account on the annual bill?

Once an item changes to a new account number, the new account number will be charged from that point onward. It does not change money that has already been assessed. Since we do not have access to your DEFINE accounts, you will need to complete a VT6 to move those funds.

What are the 1RP and 2RP charges?

Items with designations like 1RP and 2RP refer to data circuits in your area, usually Ethernet connections.

Trouble viewing the documents available on this page? Download the Adobe PDF Reader.

We Can Help

Get help from an expert:

* ITS Help and Service Desk

* Call us at 512-475-9400

* Submit a help request online

We also have a walk-in service in the first floor lobby of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Stop by and let us help you!