Austin Exchange Messaging Service
Last Updated: April 14, 2014 @ 3:43 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2015
Service Manager: Glen M Martin
Governance Group: None
Document Status: Published
- Availability : 99.0%
This document defines the service level agreement for the Austin Exchange Messaging Service (AEMS).
The Austin Exchange Messaging Service (AEMS) is a collaborative e-mail, and calendaring service based on Microsoft Exchange. The AEMS environment is currently a hybrid of on-premise Exchange 2010 and cloud-based Office 365 Exchange Online (Wave 15). On-premise AEMS provides regular and automatic back up of e-mail and calendar entries, increased e-mail security, and enterprise-level architecture. Exchange Online provides geographic redundancy and a scalable enterprise architecture.
Austin Exchange Messaging Service can be used by faculty and staff.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system and client software requirements are:
Windows Vista, Windows 2003, Windows 7
- Outlook 2010 (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Outlook 2013 or later
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Outlook Web App using current or previous version of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.
OS X (10.3+)
- Outlook:mac 2011 (Service Pack 3 or later)
- Apple Mail
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Outlook Web App using current or previous version of Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.
- ActiveSync-capable devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, or BlackBerry 10 devices)
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Departmental support staff and the ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs weekly on Sundays from midnight until 6 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance. Non-disruptive maintenance can also take place at any time outside of regular business hours.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
Problem reporting and change notification
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for the Austin Exchange Messaging Service. https://www.utexas.edu/its/sla/editor/edit.php?id=1095
Mailbox subscriptions may be canceled for any of the following circumstances:
- Users may cancel their own subscriptions.
- Departmental sponsors may cancel a subscription if the account no longer has a current University affiliation.
- Individual is no longer eligible for a subscription (i.e. has departed the university).
Mailboxes with a security or related issue are deleted immediately if the Information Security Office (ISO) requests it.
When an AEMS mailbox subscription is explicitly canceled, the mailbox is immediately deleted. If the account becomes no longer eligible for an AEMS mailbox (no UT affiliation and the AEMS subscription not being present in a departmental TRAC group), the mailbox is deleted after 30 days. After deletion, the mailbox is retained in a disconnected state for 90 days if it is an on-premise mailbox, or 30 days for cloud mailboxes. After the retention period has expired, the mailbox content cannot be retrieved.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
AEMS subscribers agree to:
- Read the AEMS documentation.
- Patch desktop as recommended by vendor.
- Use supported Exchange client software
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
In addition to the items listed above, departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Provide ITS with contact information for departmental TSC through your ITS contact, and notify ITS of changes.
- Designate at least one secondary TSC for each department.
- Maintain knowledge of current Exchange client software releases.
- Provide Tier 1 support for subscribers in the supported department.
Cost of Service
AEMS is currently provided at no cost to eligible users.