Austin Exchange Messaging Service
Last Updated: September 24, 2010 @ 2:37 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2013
Service Manager: Glen M Martin
Governance Group: None
Document Status: Published
- Availability : 99.0%
This document defines the service level agreement for the Austin Exchange Messaging Service (AEMS).
The Austin Exchange Messaging Service (AEMS) is a collaborative e-mail, calendaring, and file sharing service based on Microsoft Exchange. AEMS provides regular and automatic back up of e-mail and calendar entries, increased e-mail security, and enterprise-level architecture.
Austin Exchange Messaging Service can be used by faculty and staff.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system and client software requirements are:
Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 7
- Outlook 2003 or better (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended)
- Outlook Web Access in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6+
- Outlook Web Access Light in Internet Explorer 5.5+ or Mozilla Firefox 1.0+
OS X (10.3+)
- Entourage 2004 SP2 (included with Microsoft Office 2004 SP2 for Mac OS X) (Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition recommended)
- "Snow Leopard" version (10.6) or better of Mail.app, iCal, Address Book
- Outlook Web Access Light in Safari 2 _, Firefox 1.0_ Linux (Kernel 2.4+)
- Outlook Web Access Light in Firefox 1.0+
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad)
- Smartphones or PocketPCs running Windows Mobile 2003 or later
- Palm Treo 650 or later
- BlackBerry device running BlackBerry OS version 4.0 or later
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Departmental support staff and the ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs weekly on Sundays from midnight until 6 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
Problem reporting and change notification
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for the Austin Exchange Messaging Service. https://www.utexas.edu/its/sla/editor/edit.php?id=1095
Mailbox subscriptions may be canceled for any of the following circumstances:
- Users may cancel their own subscriptions.
- Departmental sponsors may cancel a subscription.
- Subscriptions may be canceled automatically due to non-payment.
- Individual is no longer eligible for a subscription (i.e. has departed the university).
Mailboxes with a security or related issue are deleted immediately if the Information Security Office (ISO) requests it.
When an AEMS mailbox subscription is canceled, the mailbox is disabled, the entry for the mailbox in the Exchange Global Address List (GAL) is hidden, and the mailbox enters a 90 day retention period. During the retention period the mailbox physically exists, but the user will be unable to access it. After 90 days, the mailbox will be deleted.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
AEMS subscribers agree to:
- Read the AEMS documentation.
- Patch desktop as recommended by vendor.
- Use supported Exchange client software
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
In addition to the items listed above, departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Provide ITS with contact information for departmental TSC through your ITS contact, and notify ITS of changes.
- Designate at least one secondary TSC for each department.
- Maintain knowledge of current Exchange client software releases.
- Provide Tier 1 support for subscribers in the supported department.
Cost of Service
Cost information for this service can be found on the AEMS Web site.