Microsoft SQL Server
Last Updated: October 27, 2015 @ 11:45 am
Next Review Date: 01/01/2016
Service Manager: Christopher T Owan
Governance Group: None
Document Status: Published
- Availability: 99.52%
- Routine work request acknowledgment response time: 1 business day
- Review and response to pending open requests: 5 business days
This document summarizes some of the service level agreement items that are specific for Microsoft SQL Server. Please refer to our general ITS Database SLA for detailed information.
SQL Server is an enterprise level database solution. The ITS Systems Database team offers standards-based professionally managed database systems including hardware, software, and system administration to University of Texas at Austin customers for Microsoft SQL Server. This service provides three database environments, Development, Quality Assurance (QA), and Production. This service includes database/system administration, database backups and recovery, and monitoring.
Microsoft SQL Server can be used by faculty, staff, and students sponsored by a faculty or staff member.
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. External users should send an email message to the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, which will create a support ticket. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual. The Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2 staff.
Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Internal users may send an email message to email@example.com for service requests that do not require immediate attention to reach Tier 2 support directly.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs on the first Wednesday of every month from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for Microsoft SQL Server.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
Microsoft SQL Server subscribers agree to:
- Read the online documentation at http://www.utexas.edu/its/sqlserver.
- Regularly check email for service announcements.
- Provide and maintain contact information for primary and secondary departmental TSCs along with other contact information as defined in the ITS Database SLA.
- Patch desktops as recommended by the vendor.
- Use supported client software.
- Provide critical information within four hours of receiving a request from ITS seeking to resolve a subscriber issue.
In addition to the items listed above, departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Provide ITS with contact information for departmental TSC through your ITS contact, and notify ITS of changes.
- Designate at least one secondary TSC for each department.
- Provide information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
- Provide Tier 1 support for subscribers in the supported department.
Cost of Service
Cost information for this service can be found on the Microsoft SQL Server web site.