University Wiki Service
Last Updated: August 2, 2013 @ 2:53 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2014
Service Manager: Wiley P Koepp
Governance Group: None
Document Status: Published
- Availability: 99%
This document defines the service level agreement for Wikis.
The Wiki Service supports the educational and administrative activities of the University and serves as one means of communication and collaboration by and among users. Wikis details provides additional service information.
Wikis can be used by faculty and staff. Wikis can be created for individuals, groups, projects or departments.
Supported computing environment
The minimum recommended operating system and client software requirements are:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher for Windows
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0 or higher
- Safari 4.0 or higher for Macintosh
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
The ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2 support.
- Tier 2 support is provided by the Web Operations Team and is available during normal business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).
- Routine requests (for example creating a new wiki for a project) are typically addressed within three business days.
End users always start with Tier 1, which is basic support. Tier 2 is the second support level and is reserved for more complex issues. ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance occurs the third Tuesday of the month from 10 p.m. - 2 a.m. To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for Wikis.
Personal wikis (based on EID) will remain active for six months after departure from the university.
Wikis created for departments, teams, projects or work groups will be subject to deletion after one year of inactivity.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
Wiki subscribers agree to:
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
- Use Wikis on a manner consistent with UT Austin’s educational goals, as well as comply with local, state and federal laws and university policies.
- Be accountable to UT Austin and fellow wiki collaborators. A login is therefore required to add or change content. Configuring a wiki with anonymous writing permissions is not allowed. Therefore, do not set permissions for ANONYMOUS edit privileges.
- Prevent confidential from being contained in a publicly viewable wiki space.
- Be a good common-good citizen and keep data storage usage to a minimum by monitoring and limiting attachments.
Cost of Service
Cost information for this service can be found on the Wikis web site.
There is currently no additional charge for excessive data storage usage, but Wiki Administrators will monitor and counsel users as appropriate.