University Wiki Service
Last Updated: June 2, 2016 @ 1:35 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2017
Service Manager: Farhad H Fatahalian
Governance Group: IT Architecture & Infrastructure
Document Status: Published
- Availability: 99%
This document defines the service level agreement for Wikis.
The University Wiki Service (Wikis) supports the educational and administrative activities of the university and serves as a means of communication by and among users. Its intended use is to support university-affiliated groups, departments, and organizations. Wiki spaces can be created for individual use, but collaboration is the service's primary purpose.
Wiki spaces can be created for faculty and staff to create content and enable collaboration. Additionally, users can create personal wiki spaces for individual use.
Supported computing environment
The minimum requirement to use the University Wiki Service is any device running a university-supported Web browser.
Both Tier 1 and Tier 2 technical support is available during normal business hours. Routine requests (for example, creating a new wiki space for a project) are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400.
Tier 1 may escalate issues to Tier 2 support.
- Tier 2 support is provided by the ITS Help Desk team and is available during normal business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.).
End users always start with Tier 1, which is basic support. Tier 2 is the second support level and is reserved for more complex issues. Tier 2 may escalate issues to the University Wiki Service stewardship team.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Scheduled maintenance may occur every Tuesday from 06:00PM to 8:00 PM.
Additional maintenance events (MySQL database and Operating System Upgrades) will also be scheduled and listed in the ITS Events Calendar page.
Specific times are reliant upon service providers and will be published 5 business days prior on the ITS Events Calendar page. Service may be unavailable during these times to facilitate changes.
To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Unscheduled maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page.
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for Wikis.
Account & User Management
Personal wikis (based on EID) will be subject to deletion 6 months after departure from the university.
Wikis created for departments, teams, projects or work groups will be subject to deletion after one year of inactivity.
Wikis Space and Personal Space Trash will be purged automatically once a quarter. If Trash content should be retained, your specific space administrator will be able to restore the content.
Wikis access will be disabled once a quarter for users whose UT EID status is "Inactive - Account locked for non-use".
Wikis access will be disabled once a quarter for users that have not logged into the service in 2 or more years.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
Wiki subscribers agree to:
- Provide critical information to ITS in a timely manner when requested for purposes of resolving subscriber issues.
- Use Wikis on a manner consistent with UT Austin’s educational goals, as well as comply with local, state and federal laws and university policies.
- Be accountable to UT Austin and fellow wiki collaborators. A login is therefore required to add or change content. Configuring a wiki with anonymous writing permissions is not allowed. Therefore, do not set permissions for ANONYMOUS edit privileges.
- Per Information Security Office (ISO), Configuring a wiki with confluence-users group with more than View privileges, requires ISO approval.
- Prevent confidential information from being contained in a publicly viewable wiki space.
- For the benefit of all wiki users, keep data storage usage to a minimum by monitoring and limiting attachments.
As a wiki user with Space Administrator privileges, you are responsible for the content and administration of your space. This includes ensuring the user/group/anonymous lists are assigned proper permission (i.e., for sensitive personal information) at all times.
Cost of Service
Cost information for this service can be found on the Wikis overview page.
There is currently no additional charge for excessive data storage usage, but Wiki Administrators will monitor and counsel users as appropriate.