Public Internet Access
Last Updated: December 9, 2013 @ 7:54 pm
Next Review Date: 01/01/2014
Service Manager: William C Green
Governance Group: IT Architecture & Infrastructure
Document Status: Published
- Wireless core availability: 99.9%
- 802.1x wireless authentication systems: 99.9%
- Accounting (access to bandwidth usage and purchases): 99%
- Edge devices (individual wireless access points): As available
This document defines the service level agreement for Public Internet Access.
The Public Network provides authenticated access to the university's networks and the Internet. Default allocation of bandwidth are provided with the option to purchase increased amounts of bandwidth.
Public Internet Access can be used by students, faculty, staff, official visitors, and some affiliated workers.
Supported computing environment
The wireless Public Network supports 802.11g, and possibly 802.11a/ac/n depending on the location, and TCP/IP version 4 (except multicast). Authentication via 802.1x (PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2 and TTLS) is required for access by students, faculty, staff and official visitors.
Tier 1 technical support is available during Help Desk hours. Tier 2 is available during normal business hours. Routine requests are typically addressed within one business day.
End users should start with Tier 1 technical support. Any user can call the ITS Help Desk at 512-475-9400. Users with a departmental Technical Support Contact (TSC) should contact that individual.
Departmental support staff and the ITS Help Desk may escalate issues to Tier 2.
ITS will notify customers about both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues. Services may not be available during the maintenance periods.
Wireless maintenance will tend to take place outside business hours when classes are not in session.
Campus-wide scheduled maintenance may occur Sunday mornings from 8 to 11 a.m., during or close to semester inter-sessions (fall, winter, summer). To the maximum extent possible, installation of service, application, and security updates will be performed during scheduled maintenance.
Building-wide maintenance for edge devices may be scheduled with local IT support personnel at any time, and may take place during business hours.
Unscheduled campus-wide maintenance tasks that require service downtime will be announced as soon as possible on the ITS Services Status page. When possible these are scheduled outside business hours.
ITS will notify customers using the ITS Services Status page of service availability and service delivery issues for Public Internet Access.
Subscribers (users) of the service and identified owners/administrators agree to be aware of and adhere to the university's Acceptable Use Policy.
Public Internet Access subscribers agree to:
- Contact their local IT support staff to report network problems with specific location and time information. If they do not know who their local support staff are, they should contact the ITS Help Desk.
- Adhere to authentication and security policies and not share their access privileges.
- Manage and conserve bandwidth resources.
In addition to the items listed above, departmental IT support staff agrees to:
- Adhere to the Network Operations Manual [TBD]
- Contact ITS Networking to report outages and seek assistance
- Work with ITS Networking to achieve desired Public Network service levels for their buildings
Cost of Service
Cost information for this service can be found on the Public Internet Access web site.