University Data Center
Data Center Updates
This e-mail list provides periodic updates about what's going on at the University Data Center (UDC). It is open to anyone at the university with an interest in the data center, and all customers have been automatically subscribed. To subscribe or update your subscription, please visit the UT Lists page.
New Data Hall Space
Construction on the East Hall of the University Data Center (UDC) was complete and the new space was ready to house computing equipment in February.
This expansion enables the Data Center to meet the increasing needs of researchers, colleges and schools, and administrative units by adding more physical capacity and improving our customers’ ability to move large amounts of data at high speeds. This investment also supports the campus-wide initiative to virtualize and relocate physical servers to the UDC to increase campus information security. With the dramatically reduced co-location rates, many on campus are choosing co-location in the UDC as the safest, most resilient and affordable solution for their stand-alone servers.
The $2 million build out of the East Hall enabled us to install new rows of cabinets, and the power and cooling infrastructure to accommodate future demand. Every network connection in the East Hall is 10 gigabit-per-second (Gbps).
Hardware Replacement Made Easier
The UDC is pleased to offer improved support for customers to manage hardware replacement, from RAM and hard drives to surplussing servers. The UDC can:
- Receive new equipment directly from shippers.
- Return to vendors equipment swapped under return material authorizations.
- Ensure sensitive data is removed from hard drives using our degausser prior to the drives leaving the facility.
- Facilitate servers going to Surplus, including hard drive destruction and pickup by Surplus.
- Coordinate with inventory contacts for appropriate tagging and updating of inventory information.
The hard drive destruction service uses the same vendor that supports the Hard Drive Destruction service available at the Flawn Academic Center (FAC) for the rest of campus.
More Hardware News
Dell offers two standard rack mount server configurations for UT Austin at discounted prices, available through the UT Market. Each model meets the UDC systems standards. Find out more on the UDC wiki.
Tours of the University Data Center (UDC) are available for UT Austin faculty and staff on the third Friday of each month from 9-10 a.m.
To schedule a tour, submit a request to email@example.com.
We are pleased to welcome these new customers in 2013.
- Imaging Research Center (IRC)
- Center for Transportation Research (CTR)
- Texas Advanced Computing Center
- Recreational Sports
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Communication
- College of Education
- College of Chemistry
- Office of the Dean of Students
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- University of Texas System