Web Publishing on Unix
Web publishing on UNIX is available for departments that need to create websites that require UNIX-based technologies such as PHP or CGI scripting. This service, which you access via the uts.cc.utexas.edu infrastructure, provides access to the university's Web Central Web publishing environment (www.utexas.edu) as well as the Custom Web Hosting UNIX environment.
If a shared UNIX hosting solution does not meet your needs, you may be interested in the ITS Virtual Servers service, which can supply you with a fully-fledged operating system completely customized for your individual needs.
ITS implements and maintains the servers and technical environment for UNIX-based shared Web hosting, uts.cc.utexas.edu. The standard technology stack is Solaris, Apache and PHP 5 in Safe Mode. The Custom Web Hosting service employs both Solaris and RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL5) environments, with RHEL5 being the default for new custom sites.
- Supports flat HTML as well as CGI and PHP scripting
- Includes @uts.cc.utexas.edu and @www.utexas.edu email addresses
- Allows secure file uploading, downloading and storage.
- Provides UNIX user accounts and ownership groups for shared content editing
- Provides a system-level identity which allows users to run processes, including cron jobs
- Supports secure (https) Web access to content and applications via SSL
- Supports UT EID logon authentication (see Accessing EID Data)
Web publishing on UNIX (uts.cc.utexas.edu) is available to university departments at no cost.