Backing up computer data to a secure offsite location is a critical function of computer systems management because it protects against data loss. UTBackup provides an enterprise-level, centralized, and automated digital data backup solution for the UT Austin campus. For end users, UTBackup assures peace of mind that their data is being backed up safely and securely. For computer administrators, UTBackup allows for greater data security and integrity, and reduced technical support and infrastructure costs. UTBackup is available for current UT faculty and staff who have departmental technical support.
- Cross-platform: UTBackup supports Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms
- Provides limited open file backup support
- Allows for federated control of client devices at the departmental level via a self-managed organizational hierarchy of campus units
- Allows for data restoration from any computer with a network connection and internet browser
- Includes maintenance of physical network storage devices and all necessary infrastructure
- Physical storage devices are housed in a secure location and monitored 24/7
Faculty and Staff Service
UT Austin faculty and staff may use UTBackup services at no cost, subject to the following terms:
- Faculty and staff subsidy applies only to ITS UTBackup services which shall be administered by departmental Information Technology support staff.
- UTBackup software licensing and maintenance is provided for faculty and staff computers used for university business.
- 100GB (faculty) and 20GB (staff) of compressed, de-duplicated backup storage quota is provided per device per year.
- General support is provided by the ITS Help and Service Desk in addition to the support provided by departmental IT support staff.
- Storage cost: $0.35/Gb/year.