Project: UT Web Infrastructure
UT Web Infrastructure Project Overview
8/12/2014 - UT Web, the university’s new shared web hosting platform, deployment has been rescheduled. Previously targeted to be available in late August 2014 prior to the start of fall semester classes, UT Web is now scheduled to be available in early October to avoid the ‘fall rush.’ This decision was made in collaboration with the project team and the UT Web customer steering committee.
In the meantime, customers are welcome to request early access to the UT Web environment to begin testing their own web applications and code by contacting the project manager, David Moss email@example.com, 512-471-9066. Currently, there are nearly a dozen colleges, schools and units actively testing.
On behalf of the project team, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your support in this important campus initiative.
This project will gather existing Web hosting requirements, perform analysis and establish a set of recommended policies, procedures and guidelines for UT's next generation Web hosting needs. The project team will also work with campus stakeholders to conduct an evaluation to identify alternatives, including possible cloud-based, outsourced or managed service offerings. Once a recommendation is made and approved, deployment of the new service offering and migration of existing Web sites will be completed.
The goals of this project are to:
- Define requirements and complete a gap analysis.
- Conduct evaluation to determine the best option for the UT environment.
- Deploy the new service as well as associated policies and procedures.
- Migrate existing Web sites to the new service.
- Emergency Web hosting solution implemented - Complete
- Approved project charter - Complete
- Develop project plan and timeline (initial phases) - Complete
- Request for Qualifications (RFQ) - Complete
- Define requirements - Complete
- Design service - Complete
- Build service - Spring 2014
- Test migration (e.g., ITS Web sites) and training and documentation - Spring 2014
- Production deployment - Summer 2014
- Migration of existing Websites - Summer 2014+
Note: This is an estimated timeline and subject to change as the project progresses.