Project: vDesk Virtual Desktops
vDesk Project Overview
4/3/2013 - vDesk services will cease operation as a campus-cooperative after the current semester on May 15th, 2013.
Aggregating this type of service, namely disk i/o limitations for several hundred concurrent sessions from a common SAN proved problematic. Industry has offered more scalable and affordable solutions and various CSUs will continue to offer various next generation implementations of this service.
- School of Nursing
- Jackson School of Geosciences
- School of Social Work
- School of Law
The goals of Phase III are to:
- Recommend a cost model for governance committee approval.
- Assess the feasibility of administrative desktops.
- Gather trending, forecasting statistics and create oversubscription model.
- Define a sustainable support model for vDesk infrastructure devices
- Create a case study of a 50 desktop lab desktop versus vDesk cost assessment.
- Continue outreach to prospective customers of vDesk.
The scope of the vDesk Phase III includes:
- Meeting with the AIC governance committee to approve charges for vDesk services.
- Getting vDesk rates approved by the Office of the CFO.
- Developing a trending, monitoring, and forecasting methodology.
- Evaluating and onboarding additional vDesk customers.
- Investigate additional VDI technology as appropriate.
- Engage new and potential vDesk customers as appropriate.