• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Campus & Community

Free minds

By Mason Jones
    Published: May 30, 2008

The Free Minds Project provides adults living on low incomes with a chance to fulfill their intellectual potential and jumpstart their education. In this two-semester humanities class, students explore new ways of thinking about themselves and their world by studying important works of literature, history, philosophy, and theater. Books, tuition and child care are provided by the program. Successful participants earn college credit from Austin Community College.

In this video, meet some students and faculty and learn how Free Minds helps adults open a new chapter in their lives.

Applications for the 2011-12 class will be available in April. For more information visit the Free Minds Project Web site.

Viola Dace said on May 22, 2012 at 9:42 p.m.
      There are things about Texas which have made me ashamed of my homeland as I travel the world in recent years. Our death penalty, our politicians, our shriveling public education system. This program makes me proud to be a Texan.
      MarchLa'Rina Davis said on March 22, 2012 at 8:15 a.m.
      I read about this program in passing looking for opportunities to work with non-traditional students because I am one. I wanted to share my obstacles and creative ways I overcame them. I searched indeed.com and a program for this position was in plan view. This program I wish was about of Arizona State University and offered to people in surrounding under-resourced communities. I received a response from the Director of this program then decided to look at the above video. Wow! I was suddenly speechless when I heard the poem at the end! I had to leave a comment! Although the individuals from the video do not know me, I am empowered and honored that you are in the program!!!! The opportunities to come are LIMITLESS! Peacefully...
      Chris Gray said on Feb. 3, 2012 at 10:07 a.m.
      Aaliyah Noble was a close friend of our daughter's during middle school. She was often in our home, and I remember her as a bright, interesting, engaging girl. I'm thankful for a program that helped her to find her way What a loss it would have been if she had continued ---in her words---to distance herself from her education and from her own self.
      monserrat said on April 3, 2011 at 3:52 p.m.
      necesito informacion sobre las licenciaturas q tiene la universidad y q requisitos devo tener para ingresar
      Bonnie Leggat said on March 17, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.
      Fantastic Program…so proud of my university. Making me think how to apply this somehow in my community.
      Maricela Oliva said on March 17, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.
      I watched your video and, as an alumnus, could not be more proud of what you are doing with this program. Kudos to everyone who came up with the idea and made it work for these adult learners. Again, I am so, so proud. You truly are changing the world.
      Stephanie Wright said on March 8, 2011 at 4:47 p.m.
      It's great to see something so positive being done by a major university. This is what education is supposed to be about. It's inspiring as a professor to see students so engaged and taking advantage of the opportunity. Continued success.
      Janis Frazier said on March 24, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
      One of my co-workers has just been accepted and THIS IS CHANGING HER WHOLE WORLD. Thank you for making this program avaialble!

Download: Save as .mp4 | Podcast (iTunes)