Twelve current and former Longhorn student-athletes earned medals at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Twenty-two Longhorn athletes earned spots on their respective countries’ Olympic team and a total of 27 athletes and coaches represented their countries during the summer games Aug. 8-24. Longhorn athletes earned 10 gold, two silver and two bronze medals at the games in swimming, track and field, softball and baseball.
LONGHORN OLYMPIANS WHO MEDALED IN BEIJING
- Ricky Berens, Swimming, 800-meter freestyle relay
- Ian Crocker, Swimming, 400-meter medley relay
- Brendan Hansen, Swimming, 400-meter medley relay
- Aaron Peirsol, Swimming, 100-meter backstroke, 400-meter medley relay
- Sanya Richards, Track and Field, 1600-meter relay
- Melaine Walker, Track and Field, 400-meter hurdles
- Dave Walters, Swimming, 800-meter freestyle relay
- Garrett Weber-Gale, Swimming, 400-meter freestyle relay, 400-meter medley relay
- Cat Osterman, Softball
- Aaron Peirsol, Swimming, 200-meter backstroke
- Sanya Richards, Track and Field, 400 meters
- Taylor Teagarden, Baseball
For more information go to http://www.texassports.com/ot/tex-olympians.html and http://www.utexas.edu/features/2008/08/11/olympics-2/.