• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Business & Economy

Student volunteers provide free tax services

By Christopher Palmer
    Christopher Palmer
    Published: Aug. 4, 2009

At the McCombs School of Business, Brian Lendecky teaches his students accounting skills through hands-on community volunteerism. His students use their in-depth tax knowledge to get low-income families the most out of their tax returns.

Ara said on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:51 p.m.
      Volunteering is a great way to meet members of the community. Students who volunteer to provide free tax services may meet others in practice doing the same. This is a great way to network and to demonstrate your other good qualities to potential employers.
      Ara Haddadian said on Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.
      Voluntering is a great way to get some valuable tax experience while helping the community. It also provides the opportunity to interact and get to know other professionals who work in public accounting and to develop a professional relationship with them. It could really help during the job search process to have an inside look at the potential firms that one may be interviewing with. I was a VITA volunteer and it helped me get my first job in public accounting. I encourage all accounting students specially those who are interested in tax to participate in some form of community outreach program to help prepare taxes for those who qualify.
      Ara Haddadian said on Sept. 9, 2011 at 4:35 p.m.
      When I was studying accounting and tax at Cal State Northridge, I participated in VITA which stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. It was a great way to develop my tax skills and interact with my community. I got the chance to work side by side with staff members of several local accounting firms who also participated in the program. The relationships I developed with those staff members eventually lead to several job opportunities. In today's competitive economy students should look to develop these types of relationships through volunteering in their community with local accounting firm staff to increase their chances of getting hired.
      Marjorie Simoens said on March 18, 2010 at 8:53 a.m.
      Visit the Foundation Communities Web site for more information on dates, times and qualifications - www.foundcom.org/get-financially-stable/get-your-taxes-done.
      Marlene Adriano said on March 17, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.
      I need help with my income tax. Is this service still available? Please let me know which day/time and address. Thank you very much. Marlene
      gary tilley said on Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.
      I need to make sure how safe this is and what do I need to do.
      martha mandujano said on Feb. 11, 2010 at 9:53 p.m.
      need tax assistance. Is this program still available?

Download: Save as .mp4 | Podcast (iTunes)