• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Health & Wellness

Living with diabetes

By csmurrey
    Published: Dec. 17, 2009

According to a recent study by Dr. Mary Steinhardt, professor in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, type 2 diabetes is becoming the most prevalent health problem in the U.S., affecting more than 20.8 million people at an estimated cost of $132 billion annually.

In her study titled “A Resilience Intervention in African American Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Study of Efficacy,” Steinhardt worked with members of the Diabetes Coaching Program. The program is devoted to resilience education, diabetes self-management and biweekly support group meetings. She found that minority groups are affected at higher rates, with African Americans 1.8 times as likely to have diabetes as non-Hispanic whites.

Richard Holmes has been living with type 2 diabetes for 10 years. For the past 23 years he has worked as a driver for the Texas State Library Records Management Division. Follow Holmes as he goes to work and his support group.

Tom Pherma said on Nov. 19, 2011 at 8:33 p.m.
      I'm a borderline type 2 diabetes. I was 220 pounds. Not through dieting but just eating less, I was able to get my weight down to 188 pounds. I first bout with diabetes was when I noticed my frequent urination and being very thirsty. I was going to the bathroom almost every hour. At fist I thought I had gall bladder disease. I went and purchase a Contour Meter and a box of test strips. I'm now controlling my diabetes through proper eating, eating lots of apples, almonds and Cinnamon extracts. So far so good. I enjoyed listening to Richard Holmes inspirational story. Now I got to do the 10,000 steps as per his story. Tomp
      PCO Licence said on July 4, 2011 at 3:56 a.m.
      I agree that diabetes is becoming more prevalent and as I am overweight it is something that I am worried about in the futture. I need to start managing my weight so that I can cut down my chances.
      hgvlgv training said on April 12, 2010 at 7:15 a.m.
      Here in the UK diabetes is also becoming a serious problem. I personally know of many members of my family who now have type 2. Diet, exercise and looking after yourself are the key ingredients to keep diabetes away or in check. We live in a world that gives us too much fat, sugar and salt.
      Joe - Managing diabetes said on April 6, 2010 at 12:42 p.m.
      This is such a heartening story and confirms my belief that education is the key to managing diabetes. I'm a type 1 diabetic in the UK, but I think there are still similarities between my and Richard's life. Knowing what you're eating and how it can affect your diabetes is paramount to looking after yourself. Richard doesn't mention whether he takes insulin or not in the film (though up to 40% of type 2s apparently go on to need it), but I know how delicate the balances are between a good and a bad day of control. Understanding the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load of foods is surely crucial to any diabetic. Learning and self-management are definitely the keys to long term control. And I'm sure that investment in diabetic education programmes will pay serious dividends in the near future. I've heard that a study has shown that education programmes don't significantly reduce people's HbA1c numbers, but I'm skeptical. (If that's true, then surely we have to question what patients are being taught!) I think we should remember that there's more to diabetics than HbA1c readings - education can change people's lives. Surely raising the quality of life is one of the main goals when treating diabetes?

Related Links