• Veteran builds Heroes Wall in HRSC

By Cindy Posey
    Cindy Posey
    Published: May 28, 2010
    Veteran
    Henry Klipple, a staff member in the Human Resource Service Center, has been gathering photos of colleagues and their loved ones who have served in the military.

Henry Klipple has been gathering photos of colleagues and their loved ones for nearly a year.

A staff member in the Human Resource Service Center (HRSC), Klipple is collecting the photos for a “Heroes Wall,” a wall to thank and remember those who have served our country and worked in the military.

Klipple started the project in 2009, and has since gathered photographs that represent more than 100 years of service. The wall features his grandfather in a photo dated from 1897, as well as his father-in-law A.P. St. John who served in the Navy in 1918, and who has served as the inspiration for the project. The wall also features more recent members of the armed forces, and photos of family members who have lost their lives during combat.

One photograph has special meaning to Klipple and many members of the HRSC family. It is a photo of Staff Sergeant Brian S. McElroy, United States Air Force, KIA (killed in action), the son of Jim McElroy, director of the Human Resource Service Center. Brian McElroy was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) on Jan. 22, 2006 while serving in Iraq.

“Many, many years and tears of sacrifice and service are depicted on this wall. We want to remember every one,” said Klipple, who served 20 years in the Navy. “It is also great to see employees we work with from their service ‘back in the day,’ as well as pictures of their family members and loved ones who proudly served or are currently serving our country to protect the freedoms we hold so dear.”

To schedule a guided tour of the Heroes Wall, which is located in the HRSC offices on the second floor of North Office Building A (NOA), e-mail Jim McElroy at jim.mcelroy@austin.utexas.edu.

bob said on July 7, 2011 at 2:04 a.m.
      awesome!
      cheap jewelry online said on Feb. 17, 2011 at 3:45 a.m.
      I am proud and honored that you would take the time and energy to do this to honor veterans. While we may not have recognized it at the time of our service it is the right you have to do this that we serve to preserve.
      The men and women who have served and given their lives deserve honor such as this. I think this is great and I commend this man for his desire to remember these heros.
      goojie said on Feb. 17, 2011 at 3:44 a.m.
      If you have a couple minutes in your day you should jump at the opportunity to take a tour. This wall is a perfect example of the tradition that is exemplified in this great country of ours. We live in the land of the free because of the brave. Thank you Mr Klipple.
      ForestWander said on Aug. 26, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.
      Mike Hayes said on June 10, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.
      Mr. Klipple: having served in the Navy, preceded by my father, his two brothers (both in the Army) and my grandfather (Army in WW1 and Navy in WWII) I am proud and honored that you would take the time and energy to do this to honor veterans. While we may not have recognized it at the time of our service it is the right you have to do this that we serve to preserve.
      Erika said on June 10, 2010 at 12:53 p.m.
      What a great experience! I met with Mr Klipple and Mr Mcelroy and had a wonderful time taking a tour of the wall. Both gentlemen were an absolute pleasure and they were more than willing to share stories about each individual picture and what it means to them. There were pictures back from the Spanish-American war and World War I!, along with many pictures of current active duty soldiers. If you have a couple minutes in your day you should jump at the opportunity to take a tour. This wall is a perfect example of the tradition that is exemplified in this great country of ours. We live in the land of the free because of the brave. Thank you Mr Klipple.
      Freshman Mom said on June 10, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.
      Mr. Klipple, You are a hero and at this very moment - YOU ARE MY HERO! You give me PEACE at this very moment when I am in fear! I am in fear for the future of my country and I am in fear for my daughter's future - immediate and forthcoming. I am sending my daugther to UT Austin in the Fall with *** GREAT RESERVATION ***. I have heard the stories about Austin . . . you know the stories. Anti-American professors . . . anti-American students . . . anti-American CITY COUNCIL! I have raised my daughter to love her country and appreciate those who have served and who are serving. She will attend Austin because it is the best school for her academically. I have to trust that the patriotism that has been instilled in her by her family will remain intact. I trust the goodness of people like Mr. Klipple will shine in Austin for the next four years! Thank you again Mr. Klipple for giving me a moment of PEACE! Mr. McElroy - You are in our hearts and prayers. Bless you and your family for your son's sacrifice and service.
      grateful said on June 10, 2010 at 10:27 a.m.
      Thank you Henry! What a thoughtful idea, thank you for all your hard work.
      John Morris said on June 10, 2010 at 9:54 a.m.
      Mr. Klipple: Bravo, sir, Bravo! What a wonderful project to undertake on behalf of these brave American men and women who sacrificed much for our liberty. My father served in the US Navy during WWII and Korea, then served the State of Texas for 37 years with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety. I urge other readers to contact Jim Boon, exec. director of the Texas Exes, and urge the Texas Exes to feature Henry's "wall" in an upcoming edition of Alcalde magazine. More need to know about the heroics of our UT family in this country's struggles to keep freedom and liberty alive and well, both here and abroad.
      CMSgt Armando Blanco, USAFR (ret) said on June 10, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.
      Thank you for doing such a wonderful thing and for honoring our men and women of the military. As a retired Air Force veteran, I feel that our brave men and women do not get enough respect for what they do and it is people like you who do and make it better for all of us. Respectfully yours
      W. Meehleib said on June 10, 2010 at 5:29 a.m.
      Great job Henry. The University has numerous alumni who have served in the armed forces of the United States of America protecting the freedoms that many take for granted. The vets have untold stories of bravery and sacrifice that we can all be proud of as Texas-Exs, Texans and Americans. We'd like to see your work expanded on and made permanent. You've done a great service for the veterans, The University of Texas and America. Perhaps the Alcade Magazine will pick up on your theme and print an issue dedicated to The University Vets. That would be great. God bless you, The University of Texas and the U.S.A. Keep up the good work.
      Ron Golenski said on June 6, 2010 at 5:26 p.m.
      God Bless the USA and all who have and are serving it, especially those in our UT Family
      Lana Pettit said on June 2, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.
      Mr. Klipple, Thank you so much for honoring the men and women and their families who serve and have sacrificed for our country. My father who recently passed away served 30 years in the USAF and I am a very proud "military brat". Thank you for your service to our country.
      Judy Gilbert said on June 1, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.
      Way to go Henry.....GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!! Very proud that you took the time to do all of this. Would love to see it all one day. Take care. Judy
      FLO THOMPSON said on June 1, 2010 at 1:04 a.m.
      Henry, What a wonderful thing to honor the men and women of our Armied Forces. My husband served in the Nanvy during World War II in GUAM. Way to go Henry keep up the GOOD WORKS. Flo
      diane moore said on May 29, 2010 at 7:37 p.m.
      Things like this make me so proud of our servicemen and women and makes me proud to be an American. The blood sweat and tears they have poured out, by each and everyone of them. ONE NATION UNDER GOD! Thank you! Each and every single one of you. Thank you!