• Tower shines orange tonight

Published: Aug. 24, 2010
    Tower

The Tower at The University of Texas at Austin will be lighted orange tonight (Tuesday, Aug. 24) in celebration of Gone to Texas, the annual event welcoming new students to campus.

The Gone to Texas program — on the evening before classes start on Aug. 25 — highlights what it means to be a Longhorn and the academic mission of the university. It will include special guest speakers, live performances and a finale featuring the Longhorn Band. The university’s schools and colleges also have scheduled programs earlier in the evening to welcome their new students and introduce them to fellow students, faculty and staff.

Gone to Texas introduces new students, including incoming freshmen, transfer, graduate and law students, to the traditions of the institution and core purpose, values and honor code of the university.

The theme is based on a chapter in the history of the migration to Texas. More than 200 years ago, as adventurers pulled up stakes seeking a fresh start, three letters etched on homestead doors revealed their destination. “GTT” was written on the doors of people indicating they had “Gone to Texas.”

Gone to Texas begins at 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 24, on the university’s Main Mall. A list of the pre-event activities by schools and colleges is online.

grant said on Aug. 25, 2010 at 10:27 a.m.
      I wish I could have had the opportunity to go to this school. My daughter attended last year, and the whole time she was there, I was amazed what both this state and this college had to offer. For those of you entering and transfering, please live this dream out to its fullest, your college experience will be over before you know it, & your lives will fully be yours. Best wishes, and UT what a tradition and school you have all created. God bless, and Hook em' horns.
      Janis said on Aug. 24, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.
      Congratulations! Our son is also experiencing this breath-taking campus for the first time this year. We wish each of you a successful year at UT. Hopefully you will cross paths one day. Hook em' Horns!
      Shelbi Bishop said on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:38 p.m.
      The University of Texas has been the greatest passion in my life since I was old enough to walk. This is my first year and I am literally living my dream just by walking around this breath-taking campus. Seeing the Tower shine burnt orange tonight will be the mark of a new beginning, not just for a die-hard longhorn like me, but for every student who plans to live out their dreams through one of the greatest universities in the world. Hook em' Horns.