• Go mobile with a new version of UT’s Mobile Web

By Glenda Sims, Information Technology Services
    Glenda Sims, Information Technology Services
    Published: Sept. 16, 2010
    Go

As part of the university’s Web Refresh project, a new version of the UT Mobile Web was introduced today at m.utexas.edu. Get information and services you need when you are on the go, including:

• Alerts & Safety: Learn about any emergencies on campus, and get one-click access to campus police, medical services and other emergency phone numbers.
    • Academics: Access Mobile Blackboard, eGradebook, MOCA course polls, course-instructor survey and mobile/full sites for colleges/schools.
    • Athletics: See news, scores, schedule and rosters for UT sports teams.
    • Calendar & Events: View UT holiday calendar. Find out what’s going on around campus. See event listings by date.
    • Campus Life:
      • Bevo Bucks: View your Bevo Bucks balance and transactions. See a list of BevoBucks merchants.
      • Dining: Find locations, hours and menus for dining on campus.
      • Housing: Access your student housing account, submit a housing maintenance request and read news and alerts.
      • Landmarks: Learn about the sculptures around campus through audio and written descriptions.
      • Wildflower Center: Learn about native plants, browse the image gallery, ask plant questions.
    • Directory & Search: Search UT using a mobile friendly Google Search. Find students, faculty and staff at UT. Get one-click access to call or e-mail them.
    • iPhone App: Download the UT iPhone App which has a GPS-enabled campus map, video, songs, news, directory, events, sports, Landmarks and more.
    • IT & E-mail: Get help with one-click access to the ITS Help Desk. See the latest ITS services status alerts.
    • Libraries: Search the UT Library catalog by keyword, title, author and more. Get info on hours, location and loan periods for UT Libraries.
    • Maps: Make quick links to the old UT Mobile campus map, UT shuttle bus schedule from Capital Metro and the UT Parking Twitter feed.
    • News & Social Media: Read stories from Know, Daily Texan, TowerTalk and Stardate. Watch videos from the UT YouTube channel. Connect with UT on Facebook and Twitter. Explore the UT Social Media Directory and discover blogs, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube content.

m.utexas.edu complements the official UT iPhone App. If you own an iPhone, we highly encourage you to download and use the native app. A new version of the iPhone app will be available very soon, with wonderful new features for students.

UT Mobile is a collaborative effort made possible by Information Technology Services, the Center for Teaching and Learning, the College of Fine Arts, the Daily Texan, the Development Office, the Division of Housing and Food Service, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, McDonald Observatory, the Office of Public Affairs, the School of Law, Texas Sports, University Libraries and University Operations.

Interested in contributing to m.utexas.edu? If you are a UT developer and are interested in building mobile sites or applications to be included in UT Mobile, or if you know of other existing UT mobile sites or applications, please contact utmobile@utlists.utexas.edu.

Go mobile!

Thom Noble said on April 28, 2011 at 5:58 p.m.
      Pretty sweet i'm looking forward for global wifi
      Jake said on Jan. 4, 2011 at 2:42 p.m.
      Mobile internet on campus is a must have for all college students in my opinion. Not only to know what is going on on campus but also keeps you up to date with the social scene. I'd love to see you guys make apps as you clearly have a sound knowledge of the market. Cheapest iPod Touch
      Mark A Stafford said on Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.
      Glenda, that is incredible. You guys should develop apps for all of the colleges in the US. The one click access to police and medical will probably save somebody's life at some point. Makes me wish I was going to college in Texas instead of ASU in AZ. I will send to our IT Dept for a review. Good stuff! ~Mark
      Le Diet said on Oct. 21, 2010 at 1:51 a.m.
      I think this an informative and interesting article. I think it is very useful and knowledgeable, happy to see some people still have interest in this.
      Ryan T said on Sept. 27, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.
      Is this app public to the country/world? If so, is there a way to elect to have their personal e-mail address, phone number and local residential address displayed?
      barb said on Sept. 21, 2010 at 2:30 p.m.
      What I've found is some of the news links lead to dead pages. I've used this on my Android phone and it looks nice, but if it takes you nowhere it is only a pretty page.
      Robert Alan FAncher said on Sept. 21, 2010 at 12:44 a.m.
      omg I didn't see the latest post that said android would work I did it from my home pc, thats a pretty silly statement to make huh?? it's a 2010 web's best "whoops! I did it"
      Robert Alan FAncher said on Sept. 21, 2010 at 12:43 a.m.
      Why is it when I click for Android app, I don't see it? I am sort of embarrassed because I work in the R-T-F Department to produce solutions to this all the time as much as possible, but it seems like someone, some department, can't find the time to tell a course to make a Droid app? I thought we were in the 21st century? How many people work for the university in 2010? That's just my opinion. All I'm doing is paying for undergraduate and graduate studies here, and I think I'm entitled.
      Glenda Sims said on Sept. 20, 2010 at 10:05 a.m.
      Our strategy has been to create a mobile Web app at m.utexas.edu that is optimized for both touchscreen phones (Androids, iPhones and so forth) as well as non-touchscreen smartphones. With our limited resources, we felt this was the best way to provide on-the-go content to all of our customers regardless of their platform. We will continue to evaluate other mobile platforms such as Android, RIM or Windows Mobile, and as resources present themselves, a course of action will be set. Thanks for your feedback. Go Horns! Go Mobile!
      jimmy jennings said on Sept. 18, 2010 at 7:54 a.m.
      Go 'horns
      Kathryn said on Sept. 17, 2010 at 4:26 p.m.
      Will there be an app for Blackberry soon?
      Chad said on Sept. 17, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.
      Hello, When are you going to start supporting Android apps? Hook Em Horns!
      Steve Thomas said on Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.
      Do you have any news about a possible iPad app too?
      Roger Balettie said on Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.
      Will there be an Android app soon?