• Alert update: Campus shooter confirmed dead; No other injuries reported

Published: Sept. 28, 2010
    Alert

Updated at 3:12 p.m.:

Message from the President:

I am grateful to our campus community for the way it responded to the emergency that took place at Perry-Castañeda Library this morning. The University Police Department and the Austin Police Department responded quickly and professionally. Law enforcement teams from multiple agencies worked together to ensure that the entire campus was safe.

I want to thank our faculty, staff and students for their cooperation and vigilance. Our emergency communications system reached thousands of members of the university community promptly and helped keep the campus informed.

I extend my sympathy to the family, friends and classmates of the young student who took his life. In the days ahead we will attempt to understand his actions and to learn from this tragedy. We invite those who would like counseling services to contact the Counseling and Mental Health Center (for students) or the Employee Assistance Program (for staff and faculty).

I know that this has been a stressful experience for everyone on the campus. I appreciate the cooperation we received from students, faculty, staff and their families in responding to this difficult situation.

Sincerely,

Bill Powers
    President

Updated at 1:35 p.m.:

Message from Parking and Transportation Services:

The UT shuttle service away from campus will end at 2:30 p.m. today, Sept. 28. Read more about shuttle departures.

Regular Capital Metro mainline service has resumed normal activity on and around campus.

No inbound UT shuttle service will be available to campus for the remainder of the day. Regular shuttle service will resume on schedule Wednesday morning, Sept. 29.

Updated at 12:06 p.m.:

Message from the President:

As we secure the main campus, continue to follow instructions from the UT Police regarding when you may leave your building. These instructions will be provided through official communications channels.

Once the occupants of a building have been informed they may leave, those students, faculty and staff are free to go home — with the exception of those employees who work in critical services. Classes for today are canceled and will resume tomorrow, Sept. 29. Employees will receive paid emergency leave.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Bill Powers
    President

Updated at 9:52 a.m.:

Message from the President:

In the interest of keeping you up to date on the current emergency, I want you to know that the campus remains locked down. All students, faculty, staff and visitors should stay indoors and continue to follow instructions (from loudspeakers, e-mail, text messages and uniformed police officers). You will be notified when the situation becomes stable.

The armed suspect is dead. No other injuries have been reported.

All organized classes for today, Sept. 28, are canceled.

Please continue to monitor e-mail and the university’s home page for updates.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Bill Powers
    President

Call the hot line at 1-866-657-9400 for more information on today’s events.

Updated at 9:37 a.m.:

The person involved in this morning’s shooting on campus has been confirmed dead on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

No other injuries have been reported.

The university’s alert system warned students, faculty and staff to stay in place or off campus. The alert system includes the emergency siren and loud speaker system on campus, emergency text messages and online communications.

For more information, follow the university’s Emergency page online at www.utexas.edu/emergency and the university’s home page at www.utexas.edu.

public marriage records said on Oct. 31, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.
      there are some things that need to be tweaked, but all in all the response was incredible. To those of you with loved ones who seem despondent or troubled...let them know there are people who love them and who want to help. Let them know they are not alone. To all who have kids, especially teens: hug your kids and tell them you love them. Let an "I love you" be the words they hear out of your mouths when they leave for school...
      Barbara said on Oct. 25, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.
      The original text message the students received was unclear, stating only that a gunman was on campus. The university Web site at that time also indicated the school was open. It wasn't until I called University Police after my daughter at UT phoned me, that she learned the campus was in lockdown. The first message should have been urgent, concise and clear. Thank you.
      Julie Magoon said on Oct. 5, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.
      My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of the fellow who died. I have a son, niece, cousin and many young friends who attend UT. I'm very thankful that they are safe! Without knowing what caused the young man to act this way, I can only say that I feel terrible that there was someone hurting so very badly that his only action was to end his life! What can we as parents, as Americans, do to keep this from happening again?
      Yolanda E said on Sept. 30, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.
      It will be hard for anyone to truly know why this young man acted as he did. I honestly don't think he intended to die or to hurt anyone. Yes, he had a weapon, but he could have fired on so many people at that hour of the day but he didn't. Unlike the shooter at the VT campus who randomly shot and killed, this young man shot at anything but people. That does not condone what he did but you have to think then that maybe for a short while he lost touch with reality. None of us know what went on inside his mind. What we can do is to offer those around us to listen to them without judging them when they need a word of comfort. I have known several people who have wanted to commit suicide and who because someone was willing to listen, hold them and comfort them, were talked out of it, and after a lot of counseling now live productive lives. Let's not be quick to judge. Remember his loved ones are now suffering the loss of a young life. To all those law enforcement people...thank you. Yes, there are some things that need to be tweaked, but all in all the response was incredible. To those of you with loved ones who seem despondent or troubled...let them know there are people who love them and who want to help. Let them know they are not alone. To all who have kids, especially teens: hug your kids and tell them you love them. Let an "I love you" be the words they hear out of your mouths when they leave for school...
      Anne Morris said on Sept. 30, 2010 at 10:34 a.m.
      Just after she arrived on campus yesterday, my daughter received the early text advising to take cover. She walked into her class at the LBJ School, not knowing where the gunman was located or if classes had been canceled. Classes should be canceled immediately in such a situation, and the texts should include at least some idea of where the incident is located. For everything that went right on that day -- thank you.
      Jim N. said on Sept. 30, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.
      Although I am very grateful for the efforts the University took to ensure the safety of all of the staff and students, I am concerned that the ALL CLEAR was added, then removed from the University's Emergency site. Has this been documented and explained? While the response of the University was very good and professional, is the response being reviewed to further improve emergency procedures?
      D Newcomb said on Sept. 30, 2010 at 4:40 a.m.
      I read when alerted by one of the students who received the emergency text, the instructor told the students to continue working on the test being given. Yet, in another class the students were told to get down on the floor. Isn't there a school wide official procedure that the instructors are supposed to follow in this situation? Possibly the first teacher thought it wasn't true? This seems very negligent.
      Vidhu Shekhar Chaturvedi said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.
      To Aimee, I am sorry if I have hurt feelings. No criticism was intended. My comment originated from a sense of shock and grief at the sheer needlessness of such great loss to our community. Young men and women having to leave home has become a very common phenomenon in India as well; a society that has prided itself for social cohesion for so many centuries. Consequently suicide rates among young people have suddenly risen to an alarming scale and sociologists are convinced that (a) decreasing support from families and (b) increasing pressure from the families upon the young ones to do better and emerge as best is the primary and chief cause. This is becoming a global problem and I was not being ethnocentric. I spoke as the citizen of the world, for I AM one. This is my planet in spite of all the systems and governments and their armies all over the place. "We" will recover from this tragedy in a respectful and dignified manner for sure; but I wonder if there would be any real comfort for the parents, kins and friends of this young man, ever. So I am in no mood to congratulate anyone for "bravery". I would have congratulated all if some effort -even at the risk of our lives- was made to persuade this young man to discard his weapon and calm down. He was not a professional or even potential killer (although it transpired after the event, of course). I am not sure that such an effort was made. I do congratulate the police for preventing what may have been, as you rightly call it, an infinitely worse tragedy. However, what happened is bad enough from the point of view of his near and dear ones. Some worlds have been shattered, probably beyond repair. The "factual" and actual cause of this unfortunate young man's desperate action is yet to be determined (sadly his family is somewhat "tight lipped" according to Daily Texan reports) and may take some time and yet we must explore what "generally" presses people to such extremes. An urge to commit suicide or massacre can not simply be dismissed as a "mental" problem that can be tackled by psychiatrists and psychologists alone. The mind plays role as an instrument but the roots of the problem ARE to be found in the social system and environment. Let us please explore possibilities of improving and refining those systems and social environments by rising above communities, ethnic groups and nationalities. It is not something that has only happened in our backyard. That will be taking a very narrow view of the matter. I am in NO hurry and NO mood to "recover" -respectfully or otherwise- from this tragedy. I will nurse it in my heart and mind so I could keep making efforts at the betterment of our (world's) societies.
      Lauren W. said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 1:05 p.m.
      Although I am very grateful for the efforts the University took yesterday to ensure the safety of all of the staff and students, I am still left very confused. How exactly does one walk into the PCL holding an AK-47? Aren't there metal detectors? I do have to say I believe the police did an exemplary job of securing our campus to make sure there was in fact no second gunman and that everyone was safe. I just hope in the future we can have some sort of police official or security guard standing in front of major building entrances like the PCL, to prevent someone walking in with a visible weapon, like an assault rifle from coming inside.
      Aimee said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.
      To Vidhu, No one will really know for sure why this individual acted as he did. Unless you knew him personally, I don’t think an assumption about his life or his reasoning can be made. Additionally, I will point out that, according to news reports, Colton Tooley WAS living at home at the age of 19. The fact that ALL children are booted out of their family homes at the age of 18 in the United States is a gross overgeneralization. To suggest that this young man acted as he did because of this “assumed” practice is negligent. As a community, we have just suffered a great tragedy that was very close to being infinitely worse. I request that you offer our community (this includes yourself as part of the UT community) your support rather than your criticism and ethnocentricity. We deserve to recover and heal from this tragedy in a respectful and dignified manner. To My UT Community, I would like to thank all of you for your bravery, especially those of you who were in the PCL area at the time of the shooting. I’m so grateful none of you were hurt. I was lucky to be in class on another part of campus and can’t imagine how scary it must have been to have actually heard the shooting. I urge all of us to learn what we can out of this experience and support eachother.
      Christine McCourt said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 10:17 a.m.
      Vidhu Shekhar Chaturvedi-- I don't disagree with you, but I think this student was from Austin and still living with his parents.
      David Hullum said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 9:50 a.m.
      Mr. Vidhu Shekhar Chaturvedi, I believe you know the answer to your own question.
      Tweet Daily Digest for « Amanda McGuckin Hager said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 4:27 a.m.
      [...] @UTAustin: University is closed. All classes for today, 9-28, are canceled. http://www.utexas.edu/know/2010/09/28/emergency_alert [...]
      tom watson said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 12:15 a.m.
      @Spencer H: "Especially if a given hypothetical gunman was a student, he or she would think twice about going into a room containing 20 people with guns than a room with 20 helpless prey." Presupposing a clearly irrational person is going to "think twice" is inherently irrational itself.
      jeanette said on Sept. 29, 2010 at 12:00 a.m.
      So many comments regarding guns. Studies have shown that ordinary people with guns, in these very stressfull situations, can end up causing more harm. Faculty, students and staff need to become more aware of the signs of depression and other mental illness that can lead someone to do this. If you think something is wrong,find out from the health center what you can do to help this person or get a hold of their family. These individuals many times can not help themselves, the illness has a hold of them. I know this from living a nightmare with a UT student who attempted suicide. Let's not be so afraid to get involved.
      Lola said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:58 p.m.
      Actually, Vidhu. He lived with his mom so I don't think that was the issue per se. No one really knows what happened or why he snapped but I don't think we should blame our culture on this. Most of us do just fine when we leave our parents home at 18. I went to boarding school at 11 and I turned out just fine. If anything, I went to college a self-reliant and mature 18 year old. I am not saying our culture of turning kids loose at 18 is the best system but I am also sure having your kids live with you until they get married also has its draw backs.
      JL Jennings said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:59 p.m.
      I am truly grateful to the University management and staff for their excellent emergency communications and procedures; and to both the UTPD and APD for their courageous and professional management of today’s situation. Again I am grateful to you all.
      Dr Mazumdhar said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:09 p.m.
      This is in response to Mr. Chaturvedi's concern. First thing is where ever we live in the world the concept of life is same. By the age of 18 majority of people get maturity. They know their goals in life. Stress is one of the important factor that plays in our lives. One should learn cope up mechanisms. There is nothing wrong by 18 leaving the family and studying in Universities. I have seen in India parents are keeping 7yr old kids in boarding schools. So it is at the best interest of our children.
      Richard Armenta said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 7:45 p.m.
      Will classes meet on Wednesday as scheduled? The UT website is unclear on this question. Please post a definitive message.
      Petra Martinez said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.
      I am American. But I lived in Mexico for a long time. When I felt a little depressed, my mother or my siblings come to my house, eat with me, give a hugs when I need it and actually it works very well. There is no better therapy that the affection of the family. But what about all those people who come from across the world and not have that affection and love that their families gave them in their countries. Where they can find it? My advice is: Families stay in touch with their children. Tell them how much you love them. Give them a hugs when you have a chance. It works and worth.
      Tara Haelle said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 5:45 p.m.
      Vidhu Chaturvedi, You cannot make assumptions about what caused this situation or this student's disturbing behavior. Your characterization of what people in the U.S. "EXPECT" regarding children is simplistic and inaccurate. I am 32 years old and still have very strong familial ties. I even lived with my parents in my early 20s for a few years and I still talk to them several times a week. I never felt "pushed" out of the house when I was 18-21, nor did many of my friends and colleagues. I have many friends who moved back in with their parents or stayed with their parents during college if they attended in the same town. I also taught high school for five years and had MANY students who remained in their parents' homes well after their 18th, 19th, and 20th birthdays. And even in these cases, the natural support of a family may or may not be sufficient to help some young people deal with their problems. I have also spent time in India - and have several very close Indian friends - and while family is important in India, there are many social problems there as well that strong familial ties do not solve. Perpetuating inaccurate myths or unfair generalizations about American society will not help foreigners understand American culture better.
      Clarice said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 5:00 p.m.
      glad everything is good at ut...
      Vidhu Shekhar Chaturvedi said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 4:40 p.m.
      Expanding upon my own comment posted at 3:54 PM. Now I write as a teacher. It also becomes responsibility of the TEACHER to observe symptoms of stress / anxiety / frustration in a student. We must go beyond the Teacher-Student relationship to Teacher-"My Children / Sons and Daughters" relationship in the modern times. It does not have to translate into Grade Inflation; instead, it has to be translated into assuming greater and more humane responsibilities of our jobs and duties as teachers. This -and nothing else- is what makes teachers' occupation a noble one. We, as teachers, can not allow ourselves to be negligent of, oblivious and irresponsive to such symptoms in our "students". Teachers!! Your job is NOT just to teach the subject to your 'student'. Teachers !! Your job is to TEACH "Your Children"..to teach them to take things in their stride, to teach them to look at things in an optimistic way, to teach them to take upon the countless challenges of life, to teach them not to harm others and themselves during moments of stress and frustration and to handle such moments efficiently, to teach them to become BETTER and STRONGER human beings. Take upon these responsibilities, teaches.
      John said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 4:39 p.m.
      Can we go beyond the concealed weapon argument and instead argue for a more secure campus? We need a bigger budget to support our campus police.
      Don said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 4:12 p.m.
      Events like this make we question the logic of our University intentionally denying me the right to protect myself from death, injury, or bodily harm. In declaring our campus a so called "gun free zone", and having legislation in place that prohibits me, in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment, from carrying a weapon designed to protect myself, we are inviting deranged individuals, intend on murder, to shoot our students and faculty without fear of being stopped. Our police force arrived 5 minutes after the shooting started, they got there as quick as they could, but how many of us need to be maimed or killed during those first 5 minutes? Why am I allowed by Texas law, to protect myself in my home, and in my car, but not on my campus?
      Bharadwaj Muralidharan said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:57 p.m.
      Counseling is available at the Counseling and Mental Health Center for students and the Employee Assistance Program for staff and faculty. The crux of this incident cannot be totally accounted to the efficiency of staff in these departments, on the contrary depends on the person in need. In order to avoid such future incidents, we should keep an eye on your friends and colleagues who are stressed. Try to calm them down. If you can't, put a word across to advisers in your department or to someone else who trained to handle these situations.
      Vidhu Shekhar Chaturvedi said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.
      Coming from India, having spent the major part of my life in India as Indian citizen I am able to say with some confidence and conviction that a strong familial tie and the NATURAL support system that a family NATURALLY provides can greatly answer to and reduce such frustrations and stress. So why in the U.S.A. do we EXPECT our younger ones to LEAVE the family when they turn 18-21? Is it in the best interest of the individual? Is it in the best interest of our society? Or, is it in the best interest of the system of economy that we have developed over the years? Please answer.
      Spencer H said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:50 p.m.
      I think that this crisis could have been controlled much more quickly if there had been some students or even staff members that had their concealed handgun carry licences and their permitted weapons. After all, Robert A. Heinlein said, "An armed society is a polite society." Especially if a given hypothetical gunman was a student, he or she would think twice about going into a room containing 20 people with guns than a room with 20 helpless prey.
      Mike S said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.
      @ John P. You are the one who is in denial, and living in your bubble fantasy land. The most important thing at the end of the day Is that YOU go home safely to YOUR family. Anti-gun laws and hotlines don't stop every crazy person out there from going on a rampage. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. There are millions of guns in this nation and just because a law passes doesn't mean they will all vanish and then everything will be perfect. The criminals will find a way to get the guns and do THEIR job, and when a law abiding citizen can't protect him/herself or their family this just makes the job easier for the criminal.
      rainey said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:36 p.m.
      Is UT still hosting the 2nd amendment speaker? You might want to think about it.
      Sharon Yeates said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:40 p.m.
      I'm glad that students, faculty and staff of The University of Texas at Austin were unharmed. I am sorry all of you went through this. It looks like your emergency systems and police forces worked perfectly.
      Christina Greim said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.
      God bless the students and faculty. So sad, but relieved he hurt no other students.
      ellen said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:29 p.m.
      @Ben and others who think like him: Anti-gun laws wouldn't stop criminals from doing this kind of thing but it would definitely stop guns from being smuggled everywhere...fewer guns equals less trouble. Seems pretty simple to me. How can people be even happy that a deranged student killed himself? I would prefer he received help instead of killing himself! In what way would it have been better if students (or other people on campus) were allowed to carry guns in this case? I don't see how...and thank you for just blaming!
      Alma said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
      I was under the impression that the PCL had metal detectors?
      John P said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:16 p.m.
      This is a response to Lindsey J's comment below which brought up a very important and real issue on college campuses. In my post below is information of a crisis counseling program that was formed for the Louisiana State University community. I do not know if UT has a similar program, but I know this program and organization is a great example of something that should be in place at all universities. Suicidal thoughts, panic and emotional distress can occur in a person at any hour. To ensure that no one in the community has to go through a tough time alone, BRCIC administers a 24/7 emergency counseling and emotional support hotline known as the PHONE. Forty years ago, a single 24/7 hot-line—THE PHONE— was created and manned by volunteer crisis counselors to provide free and confidential crisis counseling to the LSU community. That single phone line evolved into the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center—an internationally recognized and model crisis center of excellence providing comprehensive services that foster a true Circle of Support for those in our Capital area. Calls to THE PHONE come from all sorts of people with all sorts of feelings and problems including depression, anxiety, loneliness, interpersonal problems, financial concerns and thoughts of suicide. Callers connect to a volunteer paraprofessional counselors trained in crisis intervention and suicide prevention. Currently, THE PHONE receives about 50 calls per day and administers an average of 58 hours of counseling per week. I am very glad everyone in the UT Austin community are safe and well.
      Christopher Guhlin said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 2:06 p.m.
      I'm glad to hear that UT Austin is out of lock-down mode and is safe again. I'm just worried about the near future, the impending hazards and the dangers that await us all in the world. Especially Texas! Anyway, I'm glad that everyone is safe, and surprised to hear that the school day was released. I am currently in my last school period now, also known as my off period. I may not even attend UT Austin, but I do care for our fellow Americans, especially our fellow Texans. So I end this on a positive note: Let's be grateful that all of UT Austin is safe for now, and let's be aware.
      Lindsey J said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.
      The pain I feel from today's event stems from those who feel compelled to do harm themselves in such a violent and outspoken way. Guns are not the issue here; rather, it is the mental and emotional health of our students and those involved with the university. How can our support facilities better work? I can say from my own experience with the mental health system at UT that I felt scrutinized and judged when I sought help for a particularly stressful week. Perhaps our support system should be trained to be more open and welcoming of students who face stress or personal trauma.
      JasonT said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 1:39 p.m.
      Just what we need. A bunch of college students with a hero complex firing their guns into a crowd trying to stop a shooter. Your Concealed Carry Permit does not teach you how to shoot when your adrenaline is pumping and your hands are shaking. If you want to be on the six o'clock news, go volunteer on the east side of town. BTW, I was a military small arms marksmanship instructor. Your concealed courses are the most ill-equipping, token certifications there are when it comes to small arms. Don't think you know how to respond to a crisis like this. Do what everyone did and run.
      John said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 1:36 p.m.
      "Criminals get guns when and where they want." No, actually they don't. They get them in places like Mississippi that have no background checks for buyers. They get them at places like gun shows where background checks are not required. If you're a law abiding citizen, what do you care about a criminal background check? Why would you care about a waiting period for a handgun?
      Josh Dorn said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 1:18 p.m.
      If an anti-gun law is passed then the crime level will reach heights like we have never seen before. In fact, if more people were allowed to carry guns there would be less holdups and a lot less random walk-ins and shoot-the-place-up kind of thing because they would know that it would not just be them who has a gun. I think these random acts of violence are getting out of control.
      Jennifer said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 1:06 p.m.
      Information seems to have been shared by the university well by text, but those of us who don't use text and were relying on e-mail and this Web site were out of the loop. The Web site hasn't been updated for hours, and there were only a very few e-mails sent out. E-mail and text have conflicting information -- are we "free to leave" or "asked to leave"? I am extremely frustrated with the flow of information today.
      John said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.
      People are amazing when they are in denial. If guns were banned this would certainly not have happened. There is plenty of data supporting this around the world. Sure some bank robbers may get their hands on some, but banks and such targets have guards and vaults. Similarly, if you are rich, there are much better ways to protect your assets than having a rifle at home. Get an alarm. Get a dog. Get insurance.
      Joe B said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.
      Anti-gun laws will not stop this kind of thing. They will only hamper the ability of people to defend themselves from acts like this. We should all just thank God that the only person he harmed was himself. We should all say a prayer for his family who now have to deal with his death and the confusion of why he felt he had to act out this way and end his life. May God rest his soul if it right that he do so.
      sam said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.
      Everything was handled well today. Just wish the swat officers would have announced to everyone that they were the police before shouting at everyone to come out of class with their hands up. What if that was the shooter? Saw a student have a panic attack, and some were even second guessing if they should come out or not. 15 minutes before this took place an officer came by and told us to stay in the room and lock the doors.
      scott said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.
      And this is why students that have their CHL should be allowed to carry on campus.
      And this is why students who have their CHL should be allowed to carry on campus.
      erick youngblood said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.
      who was the shooter?
      Christopher Guhlin said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.
      Oh wow! Glad this is all okay. I am only in High School at Pasadena Memorial in Pasadena, Texas(which is really close by relatively) , but my second period teacher has a daughter who goes here, and I found out from her that her daughter's class was just next door. I'm glad that no injuries were reported and everything is safe. GOOD LUCK UT AUSTIN!
      Diana Welsch said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:39 p.m.
      Thank God no innocent people were hurt today.
      sherry mary said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:36 p.m.
      If guns were outlawed even right now... would that have stopped the ak47 used today? Just pray for those near the troubled areas. Criminals get guns when and where they want. Banning guns for the rest of us will not stop events such as those that are unfolding today. My heart is with those at UT Austin. Peace and prayers to you all.
      Wesley said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:35 p.m.
      There is supposed to be a debate on guns tonight. It was planned before the shooting. Praying for all
      ben law said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:35 p.m.
      Ma'am if anti gun law is passed then the nice and normal ppl will not have a means of protection. It willnot stop the sale and spreading of illegal weapons it will make it much worse because the ppl selling them will know that noone will have weapons in defense against them.
      random guy said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:30 p.m.
      @ellen lorenceau This is a terrible tragedy, and I hope all the students are safe. But this has nothing to do passing an anti-gun law. This man was obviously psychotic and could have used anything to kill himself. Guns aren't responsible for this, the person is. I highly doubt that gun was purchased legally.
      Lyndsay said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:30 p.m.
      APD and UTPD as well as UT handled the situation well. I received a text message within minutes of the incident and was constantly updated through text messages and utexas.edu/emergency throughout the morning. You can't expect nothing to happen, but try to be ready to manage the situation which I felt they did very effectively today. Thanks!
      Shel B said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:27 p.m.
      Geez. Just glad ev1 is ok. Guys if your reading this call me and let me know that ur safe at least. You know who you are. passing anti-gun laws still won't prevent this kinda thing. If someone is enraged enough to storm into a public place, nothing will stop them. Unfortunately there are just stupid people out there.
      Olivia Wilder said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
      I was on my way to UT to pick up something on campus. I had my one-year old son with me. I am so glad that I got the initial text message on my phone. I immediately turned around and headed back home. I am glad that UT, APD and DPS responded in the way they did! Thanks!
      Romeo Cerda said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:23 p.m.
      I am a Texas-Ex and have my little brother and cousins currently at UT. I am impressed how quickly the university responded to this situation. My brother told me that he received a text informing them about the situation. My thoughts and prayers to everyone!
      ellen lorenceau Jr. said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.
      ...on second though, people with evil motives will not be stopped by anti-gun laws (they would still find ways). If people carry guns, they could easily defend themselves. Anti-gun laws is not the solution either.
      Campus Closed for Sept. 28, PCL Shooter Confirmed Dead said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:12 p.m.
      [...] time away from campus today as Emergency Leave. Also, please check the campus Emergency Web site (http://www.utexas.edu/know/2010/09/28/emergency_alert/ ) for additional [...]
      Erin said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.
      Anti-gun laws are pointless and offend the constitution. Indeed, the campus is probably a "gun free" zone already. Ironically, all that means is that non-law abiding people (i.e., criminals) carry, while those who respect the law and could help stop such incidents are prohibited from carrying. Stupid.
      Seyed Maghami said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.
      Thank you UT Police and Austin PD for making us secure. I came back home after begin directed out of the danger zone.
      Richard Aubrey said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.
      To Ellen Lorenceau, guns are already illegal on the UT campus so only criminals have them.
      Nick said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
      @ellen lorenceau: anti-gun laws? if CHL holders could carry their guns on campus this would not be a problem
      Bonnie Murdock said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
      Re the UT alert system - Please tell students to put their own cell phones in the system - my son had the alert go to his parents when he filled out the emergency paperwork.
      Meghan said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
      Applause to the University for acting so quickly and having a system in place. Alerts are essential tools in student safety, but sometimes they don't work as quickly and effectively (at least at my school). I'm so glad to hear that everyone is safe and that the situation is under control and has resolved as quickly as it has. Unfortunately, in this type of situation, gun laws will do no good. Crazy people wielding AK-47s will wield AK-47s whether or not they're 'allowed' to.
      Kris said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.
      As a Oklahoma Sooner fan and a student at the University of Arkansas, our prayers are with you. We might be rivals, but when something of this nature occurs, we stand tall with you. We will pray for those affected by this incident. Good luck to you all this weekend too.
      Johanna Tyler said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
      Does this include tests tonight from 7-10?
      Bolognesi said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
      Need an urgent analisys. Why did it happen again?
      Amarachi Amuneke said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
      I hope everyone is safe and BIG Thank You to the University of Texas Police Department! You guys are true heroes!
      Christian Menard said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.
      I am locked in at the University Christian Church across from the UTC..... Do we need to get searched and cleared or what? We have been waiting for some sort of information....
      Tim said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
      Why is this alert not the feature story?
      jac said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.
      @ellen lorenceau -- a person shot himself - all other shots were not aimed at people - how are anti-gun laws going to help this? This person would have just killed himself a different way. More widespread use of guns would be more helpful if a gunman was targeting people as the gunman would be more likely to be shot or incapacitated before successfully pulling another Virginia Tech...
      Mike Swick said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
      Anti-gun laws will not fix this problem. But we are praying for the University of Texas and hope everyone is OK.
      nisha jackson said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
      kayla lee please call home mom and dad need to hear from u asap!
      Ryan said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
      My prayers are wth you all!
      Anna said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:40 a.m.
      Prayers are with y'all. @Ellen Lorenceau IF anti-gun laws are ever passed, don't ya think these types of people will still be able to get a gun and still do the damage? When law abiding citizens have the right to carry they can save more lives by taking down the gunman instead of being defenseless.
      Ben said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:40 a.m.
      "When will anti-gun laws pass? how many dead people are needed to stop this kind of death?" My god...how many anti-gun laws does it take to stop someone who doesn't have any regard for laws in the first place? You seem to forget that the university is a GUN-FREE ZONE. Did that stop this man? No. Has it stopped any other criminal? Never. Do you know why? Criminals, *by definition*, do *not* obey the law. No anti-gun law will ever stop a criminal from carrying a gun--the only thing such laws do is deprive law-abiding citizens of the right to protect themselves. Think for a second before you post nonsense like this. Your alarmist nature is the cause of a huge amount of society's problems, and every half-witter law you push only makes us less safe. Have a nice day.
      Danielle and Cody said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.
      Guns don't kill people! People do. They are just a weapon like any other. There should have been someone there to notice he was troubled! I pray for his family and everyone at UT
      Matthew Haley said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.
      Why did the emergency UT site say that campus was OPEN well after the school knew about a shooter on campus? This is an outrage! As a T.A., I had students contacting me to ask about this "OPEN" status while they were on their way to that exact area of campus! I think an investigation of why students were still being told to come to a dangerous crime scene is in full order.
      Bonnie Young said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:49 a.m.
      Thoughts and Prayers are with you all !
      Yolanda Estrada said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.
      Thank you for this alert...I am home and got it immediately via my cell phone.
      mrs. mcdonald said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:38 a.m.
      Shooting at UT Austin: Is this true then?
      alicia said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.
      God bless.
      maydena said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:33 a.m.
      quick alert.I got all the messages on my cell phone. good. thanks.
      Tanya Thompson said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:04 a.m.
      All of us here at UT Tyler are glad that all of you are safe.
      ellen lorenceau said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
      My God...terrible to think I have my son at UT during this!! When will anti-gun laws pass? how many dead people are needed to stop this kind of death?
      James B said on Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
      Class cancelled?