• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Science & Technology

Thirteen rules for school

By Daniel Oppenheimer, College of Natural Sciences
    Daniel Oppenheimer, College of Natural Sciences
    Published: Jan. 10, 2011

What do you need to know about for your first day of class?

Get advice on why your first day at college is so important, how to get to know your classmates and more from Dr. David Laude, senior vice provost for enrollment and graduation management.

Laura said on Aug. 13, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.
      Thank you very much for this video! It helped to alleviate some things I thought about the first day of school!
      Troy Pilot said on July 20, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.
      Be on time and listen to the professor with an open mind realizing that he/she is there for you. Just as important, get to know your other classmates and build relationships with them not only during school hours, but also for activities that are outside of school hours.
      PLENTY OF DIM SUM said on June 13, 2011 at 6:32 a.m.
      Your type is so exclusive in comparison to quite a few others. Thank you for publishing after you possess the option,Guess I will just make this bookmarked.
      Paul Jo said on April 25, 2011 at 4:56 a.m.
      Rules 7 and 8 really spoke out to me because those are the rules that I try to live by in my second semester now of my freshman year. From listening to other successful people, I realized that attitude is altitude and that I shouldn't try to make things more complicated than they are and just keep them simple. Also hearing that success is mostly incremental really amazed me how true that statement was. Thanks professor.
      Facebook marketing help said on April 21, 2011 at 3:16 a.m.
      Thanks Dean Laude, I agree all freshman MUST read this!! great info
      Savanna Ramirez said on April 18, 2011 at 9:57 p.m.
      I'm an incoming freshman for the College of Natural Sciences and watching this video has made me very excited to start school next semester! Thank you Dr. Laude!
      Louise Epstein said on Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:43 a.m.
      This is priceless. Incoming freshmen everywhere need to see this. Thank you Dean Laude.
      seo consultant services said on Feb. 2, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.
      Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.
      Chelsea said on Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:02 p.m.
      Thank you Dr. Laude. Those last words were powerful. I find myself letting the fear that I am not as good as other people keep me from changing myself for the better. I identify with much that you have said in this video. Thanks again!
      roxanne valles said on Jan. 28, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.
      thank you for having this out there......i will try it
      Dr. Spaceman said on Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:40 a.m.
      Wish I had Dean Laude my freshman year for Chem. I was a natural sciences major and after q dropping the class and switching to another school I have always wondering what it would have been like if I stuck it out in natural sciences. This video is amazing. Wish I would have known him more other than seeing him during orientation. At any rate, this has inspired me beyond words. Thank you. Anonymous.
      Amy Lay said on Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:09 a.m.
      Dr. Laude, thank you for presenting guidance that may be superimposed over any occupation and almost any age. Brilliant.
      Nancy said on Jan. 27, 2011 at 8:01 a.m.
      I loved Dr. Laude when I had him my 1st semester nearly ten years ago. Excellent advice! Thanks so much for reaching out & doing this, Dr. Laude!!! All current & future longhorns - take a course with Dr. Laude if you have a chance. You'll never forget it! :D
      bob said on Jan. 26, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.
      hello people of ut how are you today i will soon be coming to your campus
      Darian said on Jan. 24, 2011 at 9:12 p.m.
      Wow, Dr. Laude really had some encouraging words of wisdom. To see him go from a socially inept, nervous, loner student to a University leader is really inspiring. I'm definitely grateful I saw this today.
      zaki said on Jan. 21, 2011 at 12:48 a.m.
      this is really helpful and encouraging simply an amazing lecture in just short 13 minutes
      Jessica S said on Jan. 20, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.
      I wish he made this video 7 years ago when I was doing college applications. Good thing I had him as a professor my first semester :D
      Kathleen S said on Jan. 19, 2011 at 11:10 p.m.
      Wow! This was an amazing life lecture! I am a high school senior (future longhorn) and this really enlightened my perspective on "college readiness." This will also help me finish off my senior year strong! Thank you so much, Dean Laude!
      Jeremy said on Jan. 19, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.
      I took Dr. Laude's Chem 301 my freshman year at UT over ten years ago. Great Prof, I urge any current or future student to look towards his guidance. He's one of the good guys.
      Mark M said on Jan. 18, 2011 at 9:17 p.m.
      Dean Laude, spot on, per usual. I loved his Chem 1 class so much I took his Chem 2 class for fun! In my 4 years at UT there was not a single teacher better than Dean Laude at making sense of everything that came out of their mouth - from life lessons to complex chemistry theories. This video should be disseminated to every HS graduate every year from now until the end of time.
      servicios informaticos said on Jan. 18, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.
      The first day always is hard
      Sara E said on Jan. 18, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.
      I have my first class today and as a 3rd year student here, I found that to be so informative and very helpful. The first day is a beginning you never get back so these are all great pointers to keep in mind in hopes of a successful semester. Thanks !
      PT said on Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:29 p.m.
      "there is nothing in life that you are going to achieve that really matters that isn't going to have a dozen different times where you utterly fall on your face and have to get up on the other side of it and get better." --favorite quote.
      Longhorn Parent said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 8:29 p.m.
      Thank you! You hit it perfectly on topic for what we're going through as we watched our child struggle through the first year and now struggling through the second. Very smart but alone. Thank you so very much for showing us the light at the end of the tunnel.
      Kishwar said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 3:16 p.m.
      LOVE IT =)
      Matt Portillo said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.
      Thanks Dr. Laude! You were the first administrator who spoke to me (and the rest of that 400-seat auditorium in Welch Hall) on the first day of orientation back in 2007, and it lent a unique mix of comfort, excitement, caution and insight to the rest of that day and, really, the rest of my freshman year. Thanks for making a positive difference to so many Longhorns.
      JT said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 2:29 p.m.
      Dude, where was this video 10 years ago for me?? Do one for people in dead end jobs next! :D
      Daniel Oppenheimer said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 1:53 p.m.
      For anyone interested, there's another video I did with Dr. Laude at this URL: http://web5.cns.utexas.edu/news/2010/10/listen-let-go-love/ It's called "Listen. Let Go. Love." and it's basically advice for parents on how to help their kids thrive in college. It's pretty deep too (IMHO).
      Samantha said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 1:00 p.m.
      I wish I had seen this last semester at the beginning of my first semester, it would have been really nice to have in mind as I went through my first semester.
      Kimberly Christian said on Jan. 14, 2011 at 8:41 a.m.
      Outstanding insights. This should be a prerequisite for every freshman student and a double watch for transfer students.
      Kwasi said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 9:08 p.m.
      My whole college life thus far in a 13 minute video. Thank you
      Sam Rhea said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 5:52 p.m.
      The very first class I took in college was taught by Dr. Laude and he made it a point to meet with every student in the hundred person class. He's a great educator and this is great advice.
      John Dalton said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.
      Very well done, Dean Laude! Can you do one of these for Graduate Students?
      Danh Doan said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 3:55 p.m.
      Dr. Laude knows ALL!
      Jason Gentry said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 9:02 a.m.
      This is superb. No wonder this guy is a favorite Professor for our students. I'm going to show this to my FIGS on our first or second meeting. Great job, man! ~jg
      Arthur Sakamoto said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 5:07 a.m.
      Excellent. I wish that I had heard all of this when I was in college.
      Tweets that mention Thirteen rules for school « Know -- Topsy.com said on Jan. 12, 2011 at 12:33 a.m.
      [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sanger Center, NaturalSciences @ UT. NaturalSciences @ UT said: My 13 Rules video gets a new lease on life, thx to the UT homepage. Some real wisdom in here (IMHO). http://bit.ly/fVoLPq [...]
      Donnie said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:34 p.m.
      Excellent information! I'm an elementary principal and father of a future Longhorn. I'm thankful that students have such wonderful advice. Coming from someone else, kids might listen. Every student should watch this 20 times before they arrive at on campus.
      longhorn said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 3:20 p.m.
      Laude is the man. He preaches all this stuff in his freshman classes and really knows what makes the difference for a student in college.
      Eric Munoz said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.
      Thank you so much, Mr. Oppenheimer, for your words of wisdom. It's interesting to hear from someone who already had no problems, and who could give a no-nonsense view of what to expect. I'm an incoming transfer student starting at UT this semester. I will definitely be using your advice.
      zoe said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.
      Great advice. I'm a sophomore at UT and I still haven't figured everything out.
      Travis said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:07 a.m.
      Just memorize the 30 question types!
      David said on Jan. 11, 2011 at 10:42 a.m.
      Thank you so much for making this video. I really enjoyed it, and I have learned a lot from it.

Download: Save as .mp4 | Podcast (iTunes)