Barbara Smith Conrad makes an emotional return visit to Center Point, Texas, her hometown and the home of the first accredited black school in the state.
This video clip is from the documentary “When I Rise,” which chronicles the life of the world-renowned opera singer and University of Texas at Austin alumna. In the film Conrad speaks candidly about being removed from the lead role in the university’s 1957 production of the opera “Dido and Aeneas.” Read more about “When I Rise.”
Watch more video clips from “When I Rise”:
- “When I Rise” theatrical trailer
- University incident becomes national news
Upcoming Events Featuring Barbara Smith Conrad
- Feb. 3 film screening and performance
- Feb. 5 concert celebrating Black History Month
- Feb. 8 premiere of “When I Rise” on PBS
Visit the official “When I Rise” Web site.