• Longhorns in Leeds: Students blog from abroad

By Jessica Sinn, College of Liberal Arts
    Published: June 20, 2011
    Longhorns
    Graphic: Ran An, Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Services

Before this summer in England, many of the sociology students enrolled in the Maymester course “Sport and English Society” never set foot on a cricket field, intermixed with English sports fans or sampled an authentic plate of fish and chips.

As they immerse themselves in a new culture, these students are discovering how English society was shaped by the world of sports. Guided by Ben Carrington, associate professor of sociology, the 16 students are exploring the storied city of Leeds, a diverse metropolis known for its strong sporting heritage.

During the month-long course, they will examine the divisions around class and region that are central to understanding English identity, particularly the tensions between “the north” and “the south.” They will also discover the origins of sports such as American football and baseball.

Now just a few short weeks into their adventures abroad, many of these students have broadened their perceptions of other cultures, discovered new academic interests and increased their language skills.

Want to know more about their experiences abroad? You won’t need a passport for this jaunt across the pond. Check out the new blog Longhorns in Leeds and travel vicariously to the Manchester United Football Club, Headingley Stadium and Leeds Metropolitan University through the eyes of four bloggers.

Read the most recent post:

Jennifer

Coming Home
    July 11
    By Jennifer Carter

Now that I’m over my jet lag and acquainting myself back with the infamous Texas heat I reflect back on my time abroad and think “How in the heck did I cram all that into 4 weeks!”

My time spent was one for the books and it was full of adventure and appreciation of other cultures. Thanks to my new best friend RyanAir I also got to experience Dublin and Portugal in addition to some of the prime spots in the UK.

Continue reading Jennifer’s post on the Longhorns in Leeds blog …

Older posts:

July 8: Farewell England! by Shayla Stockton

July 6: London and the Beginning to the End by Michael Williams

June 22: Manchester, Leeds and London by Shayla Stockton

June 21: Rugby & American Football by Michael Williams

June 13: Cricket! by Michael Williams

June 13: Cricket, Rugby, and People Watching by Jennifer Carter

June 6: Stepping into the Adventure of a Lifetime by Michael Williams

June 2: Are you American? by Shayla Stockton

June 2: First Days in England by Patrick Pena

June 2: Beware the Fish and Chips! by Lola Adeyeye

June 2: First Impressions by Jennifer Carter

April 4: Welcome to the 2011 University of Texas at Austin Maymester in Leeds, England by Ben Carrington

Claire Plumbers said on Sept. 13, 2011 at 3:56 a.m.
      My friend recently decided to study abroad, she's learning to be a doctor and she is really looking forward to it. It's people like Jennifer who share their experience which makes it all worthwhile. I will have to show this to my friend, get her excited even more.
      lanh said on July 18, 2011 at 1:40 a.m.
      I always pondered about studying abroad,just curious how much my life will change if I did. Maybe in my junior year I will give it a shot. I will continue to follow the new blog "Longhorns in Leeds" I hope this will help me decide.
      belkacem said on June 26, 2011 at 1:18 p.m.
      hi i from inalgeria i want to contenus my etudient for you