• Tower shines orange tonight

Published: Aug. 26, 2011
    Tower

The Tower at The University of Texas at Austin will be lighted orange Friday evening (Aug. 26) in honor of the 18 years of service and achievements of School of Social Work Dean Barbara W. White and the debut of the university’s Longhorn Network.

White announced last September that she would step down from her dean position in August 2011. She has been dean since 1993.

The Longhorn Network is the university’s 24-hour network dedicated to Texas athletics in partnership with ESPN and IMG College.

Read more about the Longhorn Network on TexasSports.com.

richard said on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:37 a.m.
      I concur with the above comments, it seems That Barbara more than warrants an individual recognition for her dedicated input for almost 2 decades without being slotted in alongside "others"
      Lee said on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:08 a.m.
      I agree with Bill. Barbara White has been a marvelous dean. She richly deserves our admiration and heartfelt thanks for what she has accomplished and for the creative energy she has brought to The University of Texas. One can only wonder why the administration did not extend the same recognition to the stunning accomplishments of the recently retired and widely admired Dean Mary Ann Rankin.
      DJ said on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:43 p.m.
      Dean White is a remarkable leader whose legacy will continue for decades at our beloved university. I agree with Bill (above) when he speaks of her leadership. I am privileged to call her "friend." I am also a proud Longhorn, as I know the Dean to be, and I think the new TV network should be very proud to have shared this honor with one who has lived so honorably our University's motto: Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis, "A cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy."
      Bill said on Aug. 26, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.
      Dean Barbara White should not have to share the spotlight with the newcomer, Longhorn Network! For 18 years she has led the School of Social Work and it has become internationally recognized because of her leadership. Not only is she a great leader and Dean, she is one of the nicest people I have ever met! Her leadership should be recognized! Perhaps it's too much to ask of UT Administration, to reward excellence in academics without tacking on some sports event!