• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Campus & Community

The legacy of an organist and professor

By Longhorn Network
    Published: Jan. 25, 2012

Gerre Hancock, a celebrated concert organist, choral director and professor of sacred music at the university, and the Bates Recital Hall’s magnificent Visser-Rowland Tracker Organ on the UT campus are the true stars of this video.

Hancock, described as a “legend in his own time,” by Glenn Chandler, director of the Butler School of Music, passed away on Jan. 21 due to cardiac arrest.┬áHe was 77.

In this video, which debuted on the Longhorn Network, audiences get a sample of the passion Hancock brought to his music and teaching.

A funeral for the beloved professor will be held at 11 a.m. Feb. 4 at St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue in New York City. For updated information visit: http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/about/news or the Butler School of Music.

Russell Davis said on April 7, 2012 at 7:10 p.m.
      To know Gerre was to love him. There are so many good things to say about him I'm too overwhelmed to give them and others can do it better anyway. Just a wonderful guy, and doubtless dear Judith was a big reason. Glory to God.
      Tom said on March 31, 2012 at 12:40 p.m.
      This is amazing. Both my father & his father were piano tuners by trade. My dad used to tell me about pipe organs in some of the churches that he tuned in.
      Bill said on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.
      Excellent and fun video. Thank you for posting it. I don't play, but sincerely love pipe organs and make it a point to hear them whenever I can. It is truly a remarkable instrument. I am happy for the students at UT who were fortunately enough to be instructed by Dr. Hancock. How lucky you are. Please pass along all that you have learned so the rest of us may enjoy for years to come.
      Prabh Prakash Khalsa said on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:22 a.m.
      What a lovely human being. I never saw Dr. Hancock that he didn't take the time to stop and smile and shake my hand and ask how I was. And he was truly interested. His joy in life came through in his relationships with people as well as in his playing. I was so sad to hear of his passing. He will be missed by all whose lives he touched!
      Robert Long said on Jan. 28, 2012 at 10:26 a.m.
      Gerre was one of the kindest and most professional individuals I have ever had the honor of meeting. We knew each other briefly when I became Director of Music at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Gerre invited me to St. Thomas Church, gave me the grand tour, and we immediately became friends. He had been at St. Thomas for nearly 30 years, and I was at St. Patrick's for little more than 3 months, but Gerre treated me with the respect of a colleague. A fine, fine gentleman.
      Robert Freeman said on Jan. 26, 2012 at 3:02 p.m.
      Gerre Hancock was a great artist, a fine gentleman, and a dedicated teacher. That he came from Texas and studied at UT with William Doty is a cause for institutional pride. That he and Judith were so pleased to return to Gerre's roots in 2004 was a continuing source of happiness for them both. He will be impossible to replace.

Download: Save as .mp4 | Podcast (iTunes)