• You must have JavaScript enabled and the Flash 8 plugin installed to view this content.

Get Adobe Flash Player
    Consult your browser's help file for instructions to enable JavaScript.

Uncategorized

DKR: The Royal Scrapbook

By Jenna Hays McEachern and Edith Royal
    Published: Aug. 29, 2012

Just in time for football season, a new book from The University of Texas Press gives an intimate look at Darrell K. Royal, “The Coach.” DKR: The Royal Scrapbook uses an extraordinary collection of never-before-published photographs, letters, newspaper clippings, football ephemera and recollections to reveal the man behind the Longhorn football legend. Written by Austin-based author and University of Texas at Austin alumna Jenna McEachern, with Edith Royal, the book will be published September 1.

Decades after his last game in 1976, Darrell K Royal remains the winningest football coach in University of Texas history. The driving force behind eleven Southwest Conference and three national championships, winner of Coach of the Year and Coach of the Decade awards and honored namesake of the Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium, Royal is still revered as “a coach who would rather lose a game than engage in unsportsmanlike tactics; who would neither make excuses for losing nor brag about winning; and who by his own example contributes to the building of stalwart character in men,” in the words of the City of Austin’s “Darrell Royal Day” proclamation.

The 192-page volume offers an intimate, insider’s view of the private life of the man behind the legend through a remarkable collection of photographs and memorabilia lovingly preserved by Royal’s wife of more than sixty-five years, Edith. This irreplaceable family archive offers revealing snapshots of Royal’s life, from his impoverished youth in Oklahoma, through his courtship of Edith and his glory days as a player at Oklahoma and a coach at Texas, to his retirement career as a goodwill ambassador for the university. Accompanying the images are moving recollections from fellow coaches and former players, family members and friends who testify to Royal’s honesty and integrity and the transformative effect that his character has had on the legions of people whose lives he has touched. Access to additional archival material was also generously provided by UT’s Dolph Briscoe Center for American History.

DKR: The Royal Scrapbook: http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/mcedkr.html

Steve Manier said on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:54 p.m.
      I was living in Austin during DKR time @ UT and have fond memories of his coaching style. Gentle man, innovator of game, made the "Wishbone" the style of Longhorn football. I remember Duke Carlisle, the great, gutsy "Right 53 Veer Pass" to Randy Peschel (my fellow high school classmate), the Cotton Bowl. I admired DKR so much during my time in Austin and after leaving Texas, too. He had high standards, great vision in life and football and I will always cherish the time I got to see him there @ UT. Every time I hear 'The Eyes of Texas are upon you", I stand up and sing along, remembering the glory days of DKR."Hook 'em Horns!"
      John Clark said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 9:59 p.m.
      Gentleman, family man, sportsman. Although he came to us as a former fierce rival on the field, he quickly personified the competitive spirit and the greatness of this university as its most recognizable representative. He led UT to great accomplishments and widspread acclaim in athletics; but even more important, he did so while instilling in the athletes he coached the virtues of hard work and common decency that he knew were the keys to self-respect and success in life. Few stars in the university's firmament outshine DKR as a molder of young lives and a builder of good will for the University of Texas.
      Richard Milam said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.
      I remember seeing Darryl Royal walking out of a Circle K by the campus late one evening with a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. I couldn't believe it was him but it was. This was in the mid 70's. I actually felt honored to just run into him like that.
      Frank Davis said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
      I had been a navy pilot and recently a highschool football assistant coach. I was a student in law school when Darrell arrived as our new coach. I left the law library and went to watch many practices of the team. I have had the pleasure of visiting with Darrell many times since. He is a terrific person and was a great coach. Edith is rightly very proud of Darrell.
      keith barton said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:53 p.m.
      I was at UT from 1965 through 1972 and remember the James Street era of 1969, the '70 cotton bowl catch by Randy Pechell; I waited the training tables from 1965-67 and watched Bill Bradley having to sing songs for his dinner. Royal and his coaching staff walked in and ate their meal as if nothing was going act: DKR is a class act and met him years later at the Phil Leggett, MD golf scrambles in the 90s for Boys and Girls Country homes for orphaned or displaced youth. DKR was always humble and gracious and shirked the limelight.DKR is the reason I came to Texas from Virgina. Alton Keith Barton, BA (69), MA (70), PhD (72).
      Brad said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:32 p.m.
      It's great to see DKR being honored like this. Not only is he the winningest coach in Texas history, he established a Texas Football reputation which remains in place to this day. I've been lucky enough to even find him in a Texas Football trading card set here: http://bit.ly/RnfJ83 so he's certainly getting his due. Overall, I'm proud to be part of a university who represents staff and alumni so well. Well done & Hook 'Em Horns!
      Joseph A. Burleson, Ph.D. said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 3:26 p.m.
      On my first day as a new graduate student in psychology at The University of Texas at Austin in the Fall of 1976, I walked up to the football stadium hoping to watch the team practice. My long hair and huge beard hid any hint that I had been a star football player in high school and an avid sports fan. But when Mr. Royal spotted me walking toward him at the entrance to the field, he smiled, reached out, and shook my hand. Startled, and more than a little intimidated, I asked permission to watch practice, to which he replied, "any time you wish!" From that day on, I would jog on the track that was then surrounding the field and watch practice whenever I had time. I began a nodding acquaintance with Earl Campbell, always calling him, "Mr. Campbell," which through him off a bit at first, until he saw that I was attempting to be respectful rather than too familiar. These two unique gentlemen and their unvarnished kindness toward an unlikely-looking admirer will always remain in my heart as the epitome of integrity, character, strength, and kindness.
      C. HOWDY SMITH said on Sept. 6, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.
      I prey everyday for Coach Royal C. Howdy Smith Class 1949