• Tower lit in honor of James Street

Published: Oct. 4, 2013

James Street Coach Darrell K Royal

James Street and Coach Darrell K Royal. [Photo courtesy of TexasSports.com.]

The Longhorns family lost one of its all-time sports greats Monday with the sudden passing of James Street. On Friday night, Oct. 4, 2013, the University will wrap the Tower burnt orange in honor of Street.

“We are sad to lose a Longhorn legend. James Street was a great college football player and an even better man. I am proud to have called him my friend. He started what became a great Street family legacy at Texas. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Janie and the boys,” said DeLoss Dodds, Texas Men’s Athletics Director.

Street, who was inducted into the Longhorn Hall of Honor in 1982, is survived by his wife, Janie, and five sons: Ryan, Huston, Juston, Jordon and Hanson. Huston helped the Longhorns to the 2002 College World Series title and pitches for the San Diego Padres. Jordon lettered for the Longhorns baseball team in 2005, and Juston lettered in 2007 and 2008.

He was 65.

Share your memories on our Facebook page.

Related:
    Photo Gallery: In memoriam – James Street (1948-2013) (Texas Sports)
    Remembering James Street (Texas Sports)
    Long Shot from Longview: Remembering James Street (The Alcalde)
    Former Texas Quarterback, Legend James Street dies (The Daily Texan)

Marcus Payne said on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:59 p.m.
      James Street was one of my heroes even though I never met him. He was everything that we want an athlete to be. My three favorite pieces of memorabilia are a football signed by the 1969 National Championship team, a football signed by James and Randy Peschel and a baseball signed by James& Huston. My bucket list will not be complete as I always wanted to meet him.
      Alan B said on Oct. 4, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.
      (1969) My first backyard football memory had to be my older brother as James Street, my youngest bro as Steve Worster, another brother as Ted Koy, and I was Jim Bertelsen. We couldn't find anyone that wanted to play us, so our sister played defense. My dad kept a 50 yard field cleared in the back yard just for football. Good times and good memories. Hook'em, Horn Nation. God be with the Streets.
      Austin Bush said on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.
      Sad times for Longhorns nation fans. UT lost a great quarterback and an even better person on Mon. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family. RIP J.S. [16 ] Hook "em" Horns
      Gary Wylie said on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.
      I was a senior in HS when James took over for BB in the Tech game in 1968. I am from Cleburne, and UT Hall of Famers were prevalent back in the sixties. James never lost a game at the helm, and I am regretful he graduated before I got to UT. He represented UT so well, and I loved seeing him on TV rooting Houston win. I was shocked and saddened, yet never met the man. Always thought I would someday. Many thanks for making me so happy when I was young. I will miss just knowing he will not be around.