• “Best day of my life” – Students React to UT Acceptance

By Tracy Mueller
    Published: Jan. 6

UT Class of 2018 student

This year’s acceptance packets arrived with a #gonetotexas banner, perfect for Instagram captures, like this one from @vousestebelle.

The first round of acceptance notifications went out to prospective undergraduates in December, and we asked the new Longhorns to share their news online using #gonetotexas and #UT18. Their captivating messages display the joy, pride and anticipation of embarking on a life-altering journey.

Congratulations to our newest Longhorns, and welcome to Texas!

Antrelle R said on Feb. 2 at 9:43 p.m.
      I'm so excited for them, I can't wait for that feeling next year, getting accepted would make my life.
      Lexi said on Jan. 30 at 1:13 p.m.
      I just got accepted into the Ph.D program I wanted at UT! I echo all of the above sentiments. #gonetoTexas
      Mariel said on Jan. 28 at 9:11 a.m.
      I hope I get a notice soon! This whole process is nerve-wracking!
      Rodrigo Estrada said on Jan. 17 at 4:01 p.m.
      Congratulations C/O 2018! I am bout to complete 1 year as an Alumni of The University of Texas at Austin, and I'm super glad to see the faces of excitement! I'm super proud of being the first Latino from my family to graduate from UT, and I'm sure all of your parents are proud of you for this achievement and for other many reasons as well! Good Luck and Change The World! Hook 'Em \m/
      Christie said on Jan. 16 at 2:47 p.m.
      Unfortunately, our society has oversold our generation on the notion of going to college. UT's efforts to market itself are impressive, but I suspect that many of 2018's graduates will be like those of 2012 who floated around for a few years after graduation and usually ended up with a job that's not remotely related to their degree or decided to pursue a graduate degree. I would say to anyone going to college, beware of the cost and pursue a degree with a realistic career path in mind. P
      Darla said on Jan. 14 at 12:22 p.m.
      This totally made my day!
      Hope Muyoyo said on Jan. 14 at 11:33 a.m.
      I have faith that I can make it in. This is nerve wracking, yet exciting!
      Elizabeth said on Jan. 14 at 9:43 a.m.
      Congratulations future Longhorns. May your experiences be wonderful and within the true spirit of this great university. --Elizabeth, UT Class of 2001.
      Amber said on Jan. 13 at 6:20 p.m.
      I remember that moment, less than a year ago, when I got my acceptance! My heart swells every time I see how excited the new freshmen are. UT17 and the rest of campus is so excited for y'all!
      Susan Floyd, '01 said on Jan. 13 at 4:16 p.m.
      Congratulations, y'all! An adventure awaits. You're lucky, and we're lucky to have you. Welcome to Texas! Hook 'em!
      Cheryl Hoxie said on Jan. 12 at 9:24 p.m.
      Congratulations to you all!
      Francisco R. Pérez said on Jan. 11 at 11:59 a.m.
      A heartfelt welcome to the UT class of 2018. My experience as a graduate student and TA in Spanish was truly rewarding. I met my wife-to-be (a PBK!) there. Our daughter (Plan II) is a UT alumna. Study hard but also enjoy a happy social life. Ph.D. 77
      Ruby Martinez said on Jan. 10 at 9:39 a.m.
      Congrats to the class of 2018! My son is returning for his second semester this spring. He loves being a longhorn and living in ATX! And I love being a longhorn mom!
      Juan de la Cruz said on Jan. 9 at 5:56 p.m.
      Congrats future Texas Exes! I still have my acceptance letter from 14 years ago and I framed it; it's hanging right next to my diploma. Enjoy every moment while on the forty acres because it's a short ride. And it's so awesome to see so many of my journalism peeps on the comments wall! BJ '03
      C. McGuire said on Jan. 9 at 5:50 p.m.
      What an awesome adventure awaits you. Explore, experience and absorb ALL you can. You will make lifelong friends and lifelong memories. HOOK'EM HORNS!!!
      Letty Fernandez said on Jan. 9 at 5:14 p.m.
      Still have my acceptance letter and I always remember how I felt when I opened it. Get ready for an incredible life changing experience but you have to study. All the best! Hook'em!Letty Fernandez, BJ'78
      Margarita Simmons said on Jan. 9 at 5:07 p.m.
      Awesome job everybody!! Congrats!!! (Longhorn'89)
      AMY said on Jan. 9 at 3:41 p.m.
      This is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I am 28 years old and I am so excited for these 18 year olds.
      Robert Quigley said on Jan. 9 at 3:28 p.m.
      Welcome to Texas, y'all! It will go by fast, so enjoy every minute. Oh, and listen to your professors :) Robert Quigley, senior lecturer in the School of Journalism
      Lauren Saenz said on Jan. 8 at 10:15 a.m.
      One day I hope to attend UT Austin but I know that its far away from now. (Im only in Eighth Grade) (:
      Donna Englander Fleishman said on Jan. 7 at 9:14 p.m.
      I still have my acceptance letter-- and received it in 1965! I was a little nervous, going to Austin from Miami Beach. Let me tell y'all something-- UT students are the friendliest, most welcoming, generous people in the world. I had an incredible four years at UT, including becoming the (first) student president of the School of Communications. Give of yourselves, dear freshmen-to-be, and UT will give back to you in so many ways. Hook 'em. Donna Englander Fleishman. BJ1969.
      Hakeem said on Jan. 7 at 8:06 p.m.
      I really hope to be one of the lucky ones to receive an aceptance. Best public school ever love ut. go ut hook em.
      '06 Grad said on Jan. 7 at 4:59 p.m.
      Next up: a montage of kids opening their rejection letters and cryiny--and then accepting they'll have to go to A&M.
      Yolanda C. Padilla, Professor, School of Social Work said on Jan. 7 at 4:00 p.m.
      I'm a professor here now but remember the day, almost 40 years ago, that I got my acceptance letter from UT. The thrill never dies! It is a magical place here. Welcome to UT.
      Maggie Rivas-Rodriguez said on Jan. 6 at 11:53 a.m.
      So wonderful to see all these incoming students excited about coming to UT! I know your families are thrilled. I got all verklempt looking at all your smiling faces. We're equally glad to be welcoming you when you get here! Hook 'em! Maggie Rivas-Rodriguez Associate Professor, UT School of Journalsm