The University of Texas at Austin   School of Law

Main menu:

Frequently Asked Questions about Studying Abroad

During which year can I study abroad?
Our programs are designed for you to study at a foreign institution during the fall semester of your third year.

What study abroad programs are offered?
UT Law offers four international programs: You can find them on our website:

  • Exchange Program
    • Bond University, Australia (English)
    • Bucerius Law School, Germany (English)
    • European University Institute, Italy (English/Italian)
    • Jean Moulin Lyons 3, France (English/French)
    • Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Chile (Spanish)
    • Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain (Spanish)
    • Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina (Spanish)
    • Universidade Federal do Rio Grand do Sul, Brazil (Portuguese)
    • Universidade Federal do Para, Brazil (Portuguese)
    • Universidad Panamericana, Mexico (Spanish)
    • Universitat St Gallen, St. Gallen, Switzerland (English)
    • University of Bocconi, Italy (English/Italian)
    • University of Leiden, Netherlands (English)
    • University of Melbourne, Australia (English)
    • University of New South Wales, Australia (English)
    • University of Sydney, Australia (English)
    • University of Torcuato di Tella, Argentina (Spanish)
    • Vrije Universiteit, Netherlands (English)
  • LLM Program

    A student can earn a LLM degree from a foreign institution in conjunction with a JD degree from UT Law. The student spends the 3L year abroad studying at the foreign institution, earning 28 transfer credits toward the JD degree. After completing the dissertation portion of the coursework, the student also receives a LLM degree from the host university. Current host institutions include:

    • University of Edinburgh, Scotland
    • University of Nottingham, England
  • Ad Hoc Program

    The Ad Hoc Program covers student-initiated study abroad programs. Students may propose a course of study at any law school in the world offering a first degree in law. However, the approval logistics can be challenging and we encourage you to attend an established exchange program if possible. The student must complete much of the preliminary, required paperwork. A proposed course of study must be approved by the ISP office and meet the ABA criteria for studying at a foreign institution.

Who is eligible to study abroad?
You must have completed 29 credits in your 1L year in order to apply. Transfer students are not eligible.

So, I have decided to study abroad. What do I do now?
Complete the application and submit it along with the required attachments to the ISP office by the deadline (generally mid-September of the 2L year). We advise you to complete all courses required for graduation during your 2L year to avoid any scheduling difficulties during your final semester at UT Law.

When will the ISP announce those who get to go abroad?
The names of the selected students for the following academic year are announced in late November.

Do I have to speak a foreign language?
A student who wants to participate in an exchange program taught in a foreign language must be proficient in that language. The required language skill is equivalent to a second year college level. Most participating universities offer a 4-6 week language course before the semester begins so students can brush up.

Is there a minimum UT GPA for study abroad?
Many of the host universities require that students have at least a 3.0.

Where can I find more information about the programs?
Review the ISP web site and click on an individual university name to access the fact sheet for that program.

How much does it cost to study abroad?
Program costs vary greatly. As a guideline, the cost of participating can range from $18,000 to $25,000 per semester or more, depending on your travel plans and the ever changing exchange rate of the dollar.

Is there financial aid?
Yes. For more information contact the Financial Aid Office.

Will I still be a UT student?
Yes, you will be registered in "Affiliated Studies" or "SAB" while you are abroad.

How many students do you send abroad?
Our enrollment varies among the programs. The Semester in London Program accepts up to 24 UT Law students annually. Enrollment at other host institutions varies from one to four students per school.

How many credits will I receive?
You must complete a minimum of 12 transferable law credits while abroad. The Semester in London Program requires a minimum of five classes for 12 credits, with the option to take six classes for 14 credits. The Exchange and Ad Hoc Programs require 12-16 transferrable credits. Each student registers and pays UT Law tuition for 12 credits at the beginning of the semester abroad, but the credits are finalized and awarded during the subsequent semester (once the transcript is received from the host institution). If you earn more than 12 credits, you will receive an "add bill" during the subsequent semester for the unpaid tuition.

When do the semesters begin?
Each programs term dates are different and listed on the individual university websites. Schools in the southern hemisphere generally begin in July and March; while northern hemisphere schools begin in September and January.

If I attend the LLM program at Nottingham or Edinburgh for the year, can I come home for May graduation or take the July Bar?
LLM exchange students are generally not permitted to return until the academic year has ended. Attendance at the host universities is expected from September to June, and may be extended until August. The host institutions do not permit our students to take exams early or come home to prepare for the July bar exam, and their attendance policies are to be respected. Students graduate from UT Law in August, and are eligible to take the bar exam the following February.

The International Student Programs Office is located in room 2.125. You can also access our website.