Kathleen is a partner at Andrews Kurth L.L. P. Kathleen’s practice is concentrated in the areas of real estate, finance and business transactions. Her broad-based representation includes all aspects of the acquisition, management and disposition of real estate, the origination and servicing of loans, hospitality industry matters, private-public partnerships and general business matters.
As an influential long-time partner at Andrews Kurth, Kathleen brings a unique breadth and depth of experience across the spectrum of real estate and finance transactions to a broad-based national clientele. She has held leadership roles within the firm including Managing Partner of the Dallas office, Hiring Partner of the Dallas office, and currently sits on a number of national committees, including the Compensation Committee, Finance Committee, and Policy Committee, the firm’s highest governing body.
Kathleen’s advocacy for issues affecting women in the workplace, promotion of the Asian Pacific American community, and other work in diversity and inclusion has earned her many awards, recognitions, and appointments including the “Women of Spirit” Award from the American Jewish Congress and the Justice David Wellington Chew Award from the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas. She also serves the United States Tennis Association (USTA) as Chair of the National Committee on Diversity and Inclusion and sits on the Executive Committee and Management Committee of the USTA Texas as well as serving as its General Counsel and as Vice President of Competitive Tennis.
Kathleen holds a JD from George Washington University and a BA from Barnard College, Columbia University and is licensed to practice in Texas, New York, and Connecticut. She has been featured on the cover of the Texas Monthly/Super Lawyers and in the associated article “Ahead of the Game.” Kathleen was also recognized as one of only 30 “Extraordinary Women in Texas Law” by Texas Lawyer magazine and as one of “Dallas/Fort Worth’s Most Influential Women” in the Dallas Business Journal’s inaugural Women in Business Award program. She has also been selected to the “Most Powerful and Influential Women in Texas” list by Texas Diversity magazine, as well as being recognized as a member of Lawdragon’s “500 Leading Lawyers in America” and as one of the top real estate lawyers in Texas on several occasions.
- “Gender Assumptions: Asset, Not Liability?,” Texas Lawyer (July 15, 2013)
- “The ‘Casablanca’ Theory of Diversity,” Texas Lawyer (January 14, 2013)
- “Don’t Believe These Job Interview Myths,” Texas Lawyer (October 22, 2012)
- “Recalibrating Normal in the Workplace,” Texas Lawyer (August 12, 2012)
- “Banishing the Word ‘Bossy’ From Women’s Vocabularies,” Texas Lawyer(November 21, 2011) and The Current Conscience blog (November 21, 2011
- “Leaning In: Female Professionals Must Embrace Ambition,” Texas Lawyer(August 29, 2011)
- “Commentary: Little Ally McBeal’s All Grown Up,” Texas Lawyer (May 23, 2011)
- “Commentary: Diversity: Get in the Game,” Texas Lawyer (May 2, 2011)
- “Law Firm Cliques: High School With Nicer Clothes,” Texas Lawyer (October 25, 2010)
- “Don’t Back-Burner Flextime for Equal Pay,” Texas Lawyer (August 30, 2010)
- “Four Things Every Recent Female Law Grad Needs to Learn,” Texas Lawyer (May 31, 2010), The Recorder (June 4, 2010) and Law.com (June 9, 2010)
- “Lessons to Learn from the Women Scorned,” Texas Lawyer (March 29, 2010)
- “Client Pressure May Force Firms to Get Real About Flextime,” Texas Lawyer (November 30, 2009)
- “Dear Judge Sotomayor: We Feel Your Pain,” Texas Lawyer (July 27, 2009)
- “Match Point: Don’t Panic, Just Hit the Ball,” Texas Lawyer (June 22, 2009)
- “True Leadership Requires Optimism in Tough Times,” Texas Lawyer (March 30, 2009)
- “Being Uncomfortable, Milking Goats and Making Partner,” Texas Lawyer (December 29, 2008) and New York Lawyer (December 31, 2008)
- “Lessons from China: The Glacial Pace of Change Can Obscure Its Inevitability,” Texas Lawyer (September 29, 2008)
- “What Minority Lawyers Can Learn from Obama,” Texas Lawyer (June 23, 2008) and Executive Legal Advisor (September 2008)
- “What Women Lawyers Can Learn from Hillary,” Texas Lawyer (March 24, 2008) and Executive Legal Advisor (July/August 2008)
- “Diversity is a Journey, not a Destination,” Texas Bar Journal (February 2008)
- “The Comeback, Kids: Gain a Recruiting Advantage By Bringing Back Departed Lawyers,” Texas Lawyer and New York Law Journal (December 24, 2007)
- “Finding Work/Life Balance in Heels,” Embracing Diversity, ABA Newsletter (December 2007)
- “Big Bucks v. Baby Bottles: Finding Balance in the Legal Business,” Texas Lawyer (October 22, 2007)
- “Saying Goodbye to Summer Associates,” Texas Lawyer (July 23, 2007)
- “Shrill with a Very Smart Suit,” Legal Times (June 25, 2007)
- “Too Feminine or Not Feminine Enough?” Texas Lawyer (April 23, 2007)
- “The Mission, If They Choose to Accept It: Workplace Battles for the Next Generation of Women Lawyers,” Texas Lawyer (January 22, 2007)
In The News
- Profiled in “2010′s Leading Law Firm Rainmakers,” Diversity & The Bar (November/December 2010)
- “Law Firm Cliques: High School With Nicer Clothes” (October 25, 2010)
- Featured on ABA Journal by Sarah Randag (November 3, 2010). Please click here to view the article.
- Featured on ABA Journal by Debra Cassens Weiss (October 28, 2010). Please click here to view the article.
- Quoted in “Workplace Flexibility: Ensuring Success for the 21st Century,” The Huffington Post (October 27, 2010)
- Interviewed for “What’s on Your Desk?” Lawyers USA (July 2010)
- “Four Things Every Recent Female Law Grad Needs to Learn” (May 31, 2010)
- Featured on the Legal Broadcast Network with Scott Drake. Please click here to listen to the interview.
- Featured on The Careerist by Vivia Chen (June 15, 2010). Please click here to view the blog.
- Featured on The Wall Street Journal’s Law Blog by Ashby Jones (June 9, 2010). Please click here to view the blog.
- Featured on ABA Journal by Debra Cassens Weiss (June 9, 2010). Please click here to view the article.
- “What Women Lawyers Can Learn from Hillary” (March 24, 2008)
- Featured on The Wall Street Journal’s Law Blog by Dan Slater (March 25, 2008). Please click here to view the blog.
- Featured on the Legal Broadcast Network with Scott Drake. Please click here to listen to the podcast.
- Featured on Law.com (March 25, 2008). Please click here to view the article.
- Panelist, “Flexible Work Arrangements,” National Dialogue on Workplace Flexibility, hosted by the Women’s Bureau of the U.S. Department of Labor, Dallas, TX (October 20, 2010)
- Moderator, “How Can Women in Law Firms and Legal Departments Help Each Other Advance?” 2010 Hastings Leadership Academy for Women, San Francisco, CA (July 14, 2010)
- Panelist, “Best Practices – Interacting with Balanced Schedule Outside Counsel,” Walmart Flex-Time Summit Meeting, Bentonville, AR (June 17, 2010)
- Speaker, “Women Helping Women: If You Want to Make a Real Difference, Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable,” National Association of Women Lawyers Mid-Year Meeting, Dallas, TX (February 25, 2010)
- Speaker, “Learning from the Past, Shaping the Future,” KPMG – Women of Influence, Dallas, TX (September 30, 2009)
- Speaker, “Winning Strategies for Success,” 2009 Women in Leadership Symposium, Texas Diversity Council, Houston, TX (January 13, 2009)
- Panelist, “Inspiring Women: Humor & War Stories to Reach the Top of Your Game,” Dallas Bar Association, Dallas, TX (June 11, 2008)
- Keynote Speaker, National Asian American Heritage Month Diversity Series, Dallas, TX (May 2008)
- Panelist, “The Balancing Act: An Interactive Panel Discussion on Successful Life Management,” International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Dallas, TX (September 27, 2007)
- Panelist, “Accelerating the Growth of Businesses Owned by Women of Color,” Center for Women’s Business Research/The Center for Women’s Leadership, Dallas, TX (September 20, 2007)
- Moderator and Panelist, “Effectively Positioning Your Women’s Initiative within Other Diversity Projects & Firm Departments,” Pushing the Issue Forward: Retaining & Advancing Women Attorneys in Your Firm, Chicago, IL (July 23, 2007)
- Keynote Speaker, Dallas Bar Association Minority Participation Committee’s Minority Clerkship Luncheon, Dallas, TX (June 8, 2007)
- Recognized among the Top 3000 Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon (2011)
- Recipient of the SMU Women’s Symposium Community Award (2011)
- Recognized in 2010 as one of the “Best Women Lawyers in Dallas” by D Magazine
- Named a “Super Lawyer,” Texas Monthly (2003-2010)
- Selected to the 2009 DirectWomen Board Institute
- Named a Super Lawyer in Real Estate, Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition (May/June 2009)
- Featured in the 2009 Women’s Advantage Calendar
- Recognized in 2008 as one of the “Extraordinary Women in Texas Law” by Texas Lawyer
- Recognized in 2008 as one of “Dallas/Fort Worth’s Most Influential Women” by Dallas Business Journal
- Recognized among the 2008 “Most Powerful and Influential Women in Texas” by Texas Diversity magazine
- Recognized among the Top 500 Leading Lawyers in America by Lawdragon (2006-2008)
- Awarded the 2007 Justice David Wellington Chew Award by the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Recipient of the 2007 “Women of Spirit” Award by the American Jewish Congress Southwest Region
- Recognized among the Top 500 Dealmakers in America by Lawdragon in 2007
- Awarded the 2006 Louise B. Raggio Award by the Dallas Women Lawyers Association
- Awarded the 2005 Highest Achievement in the Law by the Greater Dallas Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- Named Finalist in 2006 and 2005 by the Association for Women Journalists for the Vivian Castleberry Award
- Named one of the “Top Six” Real Estate Lawyers in Texas, Texas Lawyer – Go To Guide
- Named one of the “Best Lawyers” in Dallas, D Magazine
- Named one of the “Top 50 Women Lawyers,” Texas Monthly
Andrews Kurth Attorneys Kathleen Wu and Kathleen Tarbox Discuss Path to Success
Founding Member Kathleen Wu: Leaning In – Female Professionals Must Embrace Ambition