April 11, 2014 Four Seasons Hotel Austin, TexasJoin us as we celebrate five years of
The Center for Women in Law is honored to present the first ever Hortense Ward Courageous Leader Award to Mary Cranston, retired Senior Partner and Immediate Past Chair of Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP. In her eight years as Chair, she expanded Pillsbury into an international platform through two of the largest law firm mergers in history. While Chair, she achieved top-10 rankings among American law firms for women and minority partners through the introduction of innovative diversity and work-life programs. She has received numerous honors and awards, including being named “One of the Best Female Antitrust Lawyers in the World” by Global Competition Review and in 2005, she was the recipient of the Margaret Brent Award, the American Bar Association’s highest award for women lawyers given for legal excellence and for paving the way for other women lawyers. Most recently she received the DirectWomen Sandra Day O’Connor Board Excellence Award in 2013. She has been practicing complex litigation, including antitrust, telecommunications and securities litigation since 1975.
In addition to honoring the inaugural Hortense Ward Courageous Leader Award recipient, the Center will also recognize the generous contributions made by the Circle of Leaders, an illustrious group of women taking personal responsibility for the future of women lawyers. Find out how you can become a member of the Circle of Leaders and join in this special celebration at the luncheon.
There are many ways to support the 5th Anniversary Celebration & Awards Luncheon. Download sponsorship brochure here. For questions, please contact Abigail Hemphill at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 471-4632.
The Center is the premier educational institution devoted to the success of the entire spectrum of women in law, from first-year law students to the most experienced and accomplished attorneys. It combines theory with practice, identifying and addressing the persistent issues facing individual women and the profession as a whole. The Center serves as a national resource to convene leaders, generate ideas, and lead change.
The Center is a catalyst for significant and lasting changes in the legal profession by:
- Building a national movement through strategic partnerships, including the biennial Women’s Power Summit on Law and Leadership and the Consortium for Advancing Women Lawyers;
- Providing leadership programs that position women lawyers for success at all stages in their careers;
- Promoting best practices for advancing women in law firms, businesses, government, and academia;
- Advocating for creative solutions that allow women to raise families while building legal careers;
- Providing a center for academic research;
- Serving as a resource to lawyers, law firms, businesses, government agencies, and educational institutions across Texas and throughout the United States.
The Center is conceived by women, founded by women, and funded by women. Its strategy and vision are directed by women. Initially the idea of seven women, the Center now proudly has fifty founding members.