- Cases and Materials on Gratuitous Transfers: Wills, Intestate Succession, Trusts, Gifts, Future Interests, and Estate and Gift Taxation (St. Paul: West, 6th ed. 2013; 5th ed. 2007;4th ed. 1999; Teacher's Manual 1999) (with Elias Clark, Arthur W. Murphy & Grayson M. McCouch).
- Federal Income Taxation of Estates, Trusts, and Beneficiaries (New York: Aspen Law & Business, 3rd ed. 1998; Boston: Little, Brown, 2nd ed. 1993; Annual Supplements 1987-2010) (with M. Carr Ferguson & James J. Freeland).
- Scott and Ascher on Trusts: Cumulative Supplement (New York: Aspen Law & Business, 5th ed., 2007-2010) (with Margit T. Rigney).
- Selected Statutes on Trusts and Estates (St. Paul: Thomson/West, 2008-2010; St. Paul: West, 2001-2007) (with Grayson M. P. McCouch).
- Federal Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates: Cases, Problems, and Materials (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 3rd ed. 2008; Annual Supplements 2009-2010) (with Robert T. Danforth).
- Scott and Ascher on Trusts (8 vols.; New York: Aspen Law & Business, 5th ed., 2006) (with Austin Wakeman Scott & William Franklin Fratcher).
- Federal Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates: Cases, Problems, and Materials (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2nd ed. 1996, 1st ed. 1988; Teacher's Manuals 1996, 1988; Annual Supplements 1989-2005).
- Scott on Trusts: Annual Supplements (New York: Aspen Law & Business, 5th ed. 2006; 4th ed. 1993-2006).
- Federalization of the Law of Charity [Symposium: The Role of Federal Law in Private Wealth Transfer], 67 Vanderbilt Law Review 1581 (2014).
- The Grantor Trust Rules Should Be Repealed, 96 Iowa Law Review 885 (2011).
- Recent Regulatory Developments Relating to Subchapter J, 36 Proceedings of the Annual University of Miami Philip E. Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning 12-1 (2002).
- The Income Taxation of Trusts in the United States, 53 Bulletin for International Fiscal Documentation 146 (1999).
- Tax Planning with Consensual Community Property: Alaska's New Community Property Law, 33 Real Property, Probate & Trust Journal 615 (1999) (with Jonathan G. Blattmachr & Howard M. Zaritsky).
- The 1990 Uniform Probate Code: Older and Better, or More Like the Internal Revenue Code?, 77 Minnesota Law Review 639 (1993).
- A Response to Professor Fellows, 77 Minnesota Law Review 683 (1993).
- Curtailing Inherited Wealth, 89 Michigan Law Review 69 (1990).
- When to Ignore Grantor Trusts: The Precedents, a Proposal, and a Prediction, 41 Tax Law Review 252 (1986).
- The Fiduciary Duty to Minimize Taxes, 20 Real Property, Probate & Trust Journal 663 (1985).
- The Quandary of Executors Who Are Asked to Plan the Estates of the Dead: The Qualified Terminable Interest Property Election, 63 North Carolina Law Review 1 (1984).
- Drafting for the Marital Deduction Under the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981, 8 Probate Notes 3 (1982) (with Joseph Kartiganer).
- Drafting for the Marital Deduction Today, ALI-ABA Course Materials Journal, Oct. 1981, at 29 (with Joseph Kartiganer).
- But I Thought the Earth Belonged to the Living, 89 Texas Law Review 1149 (2011) (reviewing Dead Hands: A Social History of Wills, Trusts, and Inheritance Law, by Lawrence M. Friedman).
- The Yale Biographical Dictionary of American Law (Roger K. Newman ed.; New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009) (contributor).
Return to main profile page