- An Analysis of the Texas Mental Health Code (Austin: Hogg Foundation for Mental Health, 2nd ed. 1994; 1st ed. 1988).
- Toward a Just and Effective Sentencing System: Agenda for Legislative Reform (New York: Praeger, 1977) (with Pierce O'Donnell & Dennis E. Curtis).
- Our Federalism: The United States and the Regulation of Lawyers, 48 San Diego Law Review 111 (2011).
- An Essay on Legal Representation of Non-Citizens in Detention, 5 Intercultural Human Rights Law Review 167 (2010).
- The Elderly with a Disability: Social Security and Representative Payment, 11 Marquette Elder's Advisor 121 (2009).
- The Role of the Federal Government in Juvenile Justice, 8 Social Perspectives 67 (2006).
- Lobbying by Jewish Organizations Concerning Immigration: A Historical Study [Colloquium: Immigration and Religion], 83 University of Detroit Mercy Law Review 947 (2006).
- Using the Tom Clark Papers for a Seminar: A Faculty Member's Perspective, 20 Legal Reference Services Quarterly 135 (2001).
- Immigration Internal Decisionmaking: A View from History [Symposium: Restructuring Federal Courts], 78 Texas Law Review 1633 (2000).
- Mass Exoduses: The Response of the United States, 30 International Migration Review 310 (1996).
- Comment on Calavita: Immigration Research--Words of Caution, 23 Law & Society Review 821 (1989).
- The Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Mental Health System: A Comparison of Law as Written and Law as Applied, 7 Health Laws in Canada 100 (1987).
- Creating a National Race Commission: A Failed Proposal, 17 Rutgers Law Journal 591 (1986).
- An Essay on Commitment and the Emergency Room: Implications for the Delivery of Mental Health Services, 13 Law, Medicine & Health Care 297 (1985).
- Introduction to Immigration Law Materials and Where to Find Them, 3 Legal Reference Services Quarterly 73 (1983).
- Representing the Unpopular Client: The Mentally Ill, 72 Law Library Journal 674 (1979).
- The Role of Courts of the United States in Asylum Cases, in Enforcing International Human Rights in Domestic Courts 355 (Benedetto Conforti and Francesco Francioni, eds.; The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 1997).
- A New Federal Law for the Protection and Advocacy of the Mentally Ill, in Trends in Law and Mental Health (Arnheim, The Netherlands: Gouda Quint bv, 1988).
- The Psychotherapist-Patient Privilege: A Search for Identity, in 2 Law and Mental Health: International Perspectives 215 (David N. Weisstub ed.; New York: Pergamon Press, 1986).
- The Transfer of Inmates to Mental Health Facilities: Developments in the Law, in Mentally Disordered Offenders: Perspectives from Law and Social Science, Chapter 7 (John Monahan & Henry J. Steadman eds.; New York: Plenum Press, 1983).
- Mandated Change in Texas: The Federal District Court and the Legislature, in Neither Angels Nor Thieves: Studies in Deinstitutionalization 872 (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1982).
- Prisoners' Mental Health, in Prisoners' Rights Sourcebook, Vol. II, Chapter 14, 295-316 (Ira P. Robbins ed.; New York: Clark Boardman, 1980).
Return to main profile page