The University of Texas at Austin   School of Law

Main menu:

Faculty News

Russell J. Weintraub, Ben H. & Kitty King Powell Chair Emeritus in Business & Commercial Law, has died

Russell J. Weintraub, Ben H. & Kitty King Powell Chair Emeritus in Business & Commercial Law

The Law School community is saddened to learn that Russell J. Weintraub, Ben H. & Kitty King Powell Chair Emeritus in Business & Commercial Law, passed away December 13, 2012.

Weintraub was a renowned scholar in the areas of international business litigation and conflict of laws. He was the author of International Litigation and Arbitration Practice and Planning and Commentary on the Conflict of Laws as well as coauthor of Cases and Materials on Conflict of Laws and Comparative Conflict of Laws: Conventions, Regulations, and Codes.

“Russell Weintraub was a great leader in the field of conflict of laws, and a wonderful teacher and beloved colleague here at the Law School,” said Law School Dean Ward Farnsworth. “By his example he set high standards for collegiality and intellectual engagement.  He will be remembered very warmly in this community.”

Hans W. Baade, Hugh Lamar Stone Chair Emeritus in Civil Law, said Weintraub was a dedicated scholar and friend. “Russell Weintraub made crucial contributions to the theory and practice of the conflict of laws and showed great interest in its international ramifications,” he said. “And he was my best and most distinguished friend. We were born only four days apart, and we often celebrated our birthdays together. He had a slogan: ‘The only true happiness lies in useful work done to the best of your ability.’ And he lived up to his slogan, both in working on his books and in his dedication to teaching.”

Weintraub came to the Law School in 1965. He also served as Ronald Graveson Memorial Lecturer at King’s College, London, in 2000 and lecturer at the Hague Academy of International Law in 1984. He won the Carl H. Fulda Award in International Law in 1993, and was a member of the American Law Institute and a Life Member in the American Bar Foundation.

A funeral was held Sunday, December 16, 2012.

“One of Russell’s last wishes was that a chaired professorship be created in his name and dedicated to the topics that he spent his career exploring and advancing,” Farnsworth said. “His family is currently planning to carry out that wish. This was a beautiful gesture, and it very eloquently expresses Russell’s love for the school.” Memorial gifts may be made toward the establishment of the Zelda K. and Russell J. Weintraub Chair in Conflict of Laws and International Law through the UT Law School Foundation, 727 East Dean Keeton St., Austin, TX 78705.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Russell J. Weintraub, Ben H. & Kitty King Powell Chair Emeritus in Business & Commercial Law, has died”

1. Sharon Weintraub Says:

December 16th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Russell Weintraub’s obituary: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Russell-Weintraub&lc=4884&pid=161711987&mid=5342899&locale=en-US

Memorial gifts may be made toward the establishment of the Zelda K. and Russell J. Weintraub Chair in Conflict of Laws and International Law through the UT Law School Foundation, 727 East Dean Keeton St., Austin, TX 78705.

2. Tom Russell Says:

December 18th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Russ was a good colleague to me during the years that I taught at UT. May he rest in peace.

3. Debra Norris Says:

January 7th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Professor Weintraub was the highlight of my law school career. I had the honor and pleasure of spending time with him as a research intern. His wit and kindness were so enjoyed and appreciated by me then and now. He also inspired me. I will sorely miss him.

4. Carla Sanchez Says:

January 7th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Prof. Weintraub was a great teacher. I took both of his classes at law school (International Litigation and Arbitration and Conflict of Laws), and enjoyed both immensely. It is a great loss to future students not to have Prof. Weintraub’s insight, expertise, and even anecdotes to accompany the work he’s left behind. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

5. Charles Thompson Says:

January 7th, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Professor Weintraub was brilliant, kind, and generous. I had the privilege of being a student in his first year Contracts course. He taught me to think like a lawyer. I will never forget “the Battle of the Forms.”

6. Francois Babin Says:

January 8th, 2013 at 7:05 pm

My condolences to the family. One rarely has an opportunity to learn from a master in his field, as Professor Weintraub truly was. His wit and lightness of touch bore witness to the greatness of his mind.

7. Robin Mardemootoo Says:

March 27th, 2013 at 1:29 am

Professor Weintraub’s way of teaching is unique. I was an LL.M student in his International Litigation and Conflicts of Laws classes in 1995 and i can tell you that the methodology he taught us to develop in terms of thinking process is unique. What an asset he was to UT Law. My condolences to his loved ones.

8. Michael L. Maduff Says:

May 1st, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Prof. Weintraub taught my first year contracts class at the State University of Iowa (n/k/a University of Iowa) more than 50 years ago. His class was one of the highlights of my legal education. Even now I hear his voice in my head every time I look at a contract. A good man, he will be missed.