The University of Texas at Austin   School of Law

Main menu:

Law School News

Former Law School Dean Michael Sharlot dies

Michael Sharlot

Michael Sharlot

Professor Michael M. Sharlot, Wright C. Morrow Professor Emeritus in Law and dean of the Law School from 1995 to 2000, passed away June 22, 2013. He also served as interim dean of the Law School in 1994 and as associate dean for several years before that.

Sharlot joined the Law School faculty in 1969. He was an expert in criminal law and evidence, and was the coauthor of several books, including Courtroom Handbook on Texas Evidence, Criminal Law: Cases and Materials, and Texas Practice Guide to the Texas Rules of Evidence. He also served as visiting professor of law at the University of California, Berkeley, and was a member of the American Law Institute.

“Mike Sharlot served the Law School and the University with distinction for several decades, both as a professor and as a dean,” said current Law School Dean Ward Farnsworth. “He made great contributions here and was well-loved by his colleagues. He will be missed.”

University President (and former Law School Dean) Bill Powers told the Austin American-Statesman that “Sharlot was a tenacious squash player and fierce competitor on the court and said his friend’s death was ‘a personal loss and a loss for UT.’”

Sharlot grew up in Pennsylvania and earned his JD from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law after graduating from Antioch College. Before joining the Law School faculty, he worked for Covington & Burling LLP and was general counsel of the Peace Corps from 1968 to 1969. Sharlot is survived by his wife Susan, a retired attorney; daughter Sarah Sharlot Dietrich; son Matthew Sharlot; and his grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at Weed-Corley-Fish South Congress, 2620 South Congress Ave., in Austin on Saturday, June 29, 2013, at 11:00 a.m. If you would like to make a contribution in Mike’s memory, please consider the University of Texas Law School Foundation or the University of Texas Butler School of Music.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Former Law School Dean Michael Sharlot dies”

1. David Logan Says:

June 25th, 2013 at 8:01 am

I was a visiting professor at UT while Mike was Dean and found him to be a terrific guy. My best to his family.

2. William Shibley Says:

June 25th, 2013 at 8:54 am

Mike was a great dean, and a good friend. He did much for the law school, and he will be missed.

3. Ernie Young Says:

June 25th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Mike Sharlot was the dean who gave me my first tenure-track job in legal academia. I’d like to share my favorite memory of him: The first UT Law social function I was ever invited to was a “pool party” at Mike’s home. I was skeptical that a dean’s function could possibly be so informal as to feature actual swimming. But as we arrived, I saw Mike whip off his shirt and stride into the pool, followed immediately by about a dozen laughing, splashing faculty kids. Mike had not only a great legal mind, but also a gift for making people feel comfortable and welcome. He also taught me that it was ok to teach in cowboy boots.

Our family’s thoughts and prayers are with Sue and the family. Mike will be greatly missed.

4. Al Bennett Says:

June 25th, 2013 at 11:15 am

I had Dean Sharlot for Evidence – he was a great teacher and an even greater gentleman. A huge loss for the UT Law community. God Bless.

5. Linda Meltzer Says:

June 27th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Prof. Sharlot teaching the socratic method – one of my most vivid memories from law school. RIP.

6. Trenell S. Johnson Says:

July 11th, 2013 at 10:03 am

I served on Dean Sharlot’s staff as Personnel Director for several years (1994-2000); and was blessed by his wisdom and kindness. May God bless and keep his family.

7. Jorge Aristotelidis Says:

July 30th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I was not fortunate to have Dean Sharlot as my teacher, nor did I meet him while at UT. However I have a vivid memory of a poster that he had of luchadores – Mexican wrestlers – by his door, which I saw every time I passed by his office. It always brought a smile to my face. I was raised at the border and would go to Lucha Libre matches with my grandmother’s, brother, Tio Jorge, when I was a child. Rest in peace Dean.

Jorge G. Aristotelidis
    Class of 1992

8. Jo Ann Howard Says:

April 3rd, 2014 at 9:14 am

Professor Sharlot came into the classroom smiling broadly and proceeded to ask piercing questions regarding the assigned cases, pivoting to add a fact for another law student’s response, then swirling around and asking yet another student if he/she concurred or disagreed. The class hour elapsed quickly but not before he interjected some thoughts as a take-away. His genuine interest in and support of other’s viewpoints whether they were of students, colleagues or friends and his curiosity about everything made him a most interesting conversationalist and instructor. He left great memories behind of his valuable life.