WLC EVENTS (click here for calendar view)
Career & Family: Get What You Want:
- For lawyers, navigating children and careers can be daunting. Hear from leading lawyers who have done it and from their children who have lived it. Attendees will gain insights into how to chart their own paths to fulfilling careers and families.
When? March 21, 2013 from 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Where? Eidman Courtroom (CCJ 2.306)
RSVP via Facebook
Baker Botts Global Women's Forum Luncheon:
- This is a great opportunity to obtain valuable insights from women lawyers across all levels of the firm. The target audience for the event is 1L students. Space is limited, so please RSVP early.
When? March 26, 2013 from 11:30 am - 1 pm
Where? Denius Classroom (TNH 3.125)
RSVP via Baker Botts Recruiting
Live-Streaming Presentation by ABA President Laurel Bellows:
- We had a great presentation in the Francis Auditorium by ABA President Lauren Bellows on January 31, 2013. The event was sponsored by Kirkland & Ellis, Ms. JD, the Center for Women in Law, the UT Law Career Services Office, and the WLC.
- Our last event of the semester was a well-deserved study break on December 5th with snacks from WLC and Tiff's Treats from Porter Hedges.
Inside Books Pro Bono event:
- We had a pro bono/public service event on September 27th.
Inside Books (3121 E. 12th Street) is an organization that provides books to prison inmates. We picked out books to match their selections and wrote letters in response to their requests.
Screening of Miss Representation:
- We enjoyed a screening of Miss Representation on September 20th. The event was sponsored by The Center for Women in Law, Texas Wall Street Women, and the Women's Law Caucus.
Like drawing back a curtain to let bright light stream in, Miss Representation uncovers a glaring reality we live with every day but fail to see. Directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom, the film explores how mainstream media contribute to the under-representation of women in influential positions in America and challenges the media’s limiting and often disparaging portrayals of women, which make it difficult for the average girl to see herself as powerful.
WLC Meeting and Happy Hour:
- We had our first meeting of the year on Wednesday, September 19th, followed by a
happy hour (or two) at Vivo.
WLC Welcome (Back) Happy Hour with Vinson & Elkins:
- A Welcome Back Happy Hour was hosted by Vinson & Elkins at Max's Wine Dive on September 6th.
Women in the Legal Field Reception:
- Erica Harris, partner at Susman Godfrey in Houston, made a presentation on making yourself marketable in a tight market and essential tips and skills for being a female lawyer during a reception at FINO’s lounge.
Professor of the Year Award Reception:
- This year members nominated a UT Law Professor who had enriched their law school career. After the entire membership voted on the nominees, Jane Smith was selected as the 2012 Women's Law Caucus Professor of the Year. We honored Professor Smith at FINO's lounge on Tuesday, April 24th.
Sunglasses and Snow Cones Fundraiser:
- We had a great sale on April 24th and 25th in the breezeway.
Wine About Law School:
- WLC's annual networking event, Wine About Law School, is hosted by Jackson Walker and is a great way to informally network with some professionals and ask them questions about what lawyers really do.
Last updated on March 15, 2013.