The LBJ School relies on a rigorous holistic admissions review process for all of our degree programs. A review of all application packets will be done by a committee made up of faculty and staff. Admission to all LBJ School degree programs is a competitive process. Decisions are expected in December 2014.
Submission of other department required materials, such as your personal statement and resume, is made to the GIAC server. Upon application you will be provided a URL for upload. Please see application instructions below.
Applications will be available from the ApplyTexas.org site beginning August 30, 2014 and must be completed by November 7, 2014. All materials, including letters of recommendation, resume and personal statement, must be in the system by this date.
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a certified college or university. You must submit official transcripts for all senior undergraduate and graduate institutions that you have attended.
- Demonstrate a minimum of seven years of experience in the applicant’s field showing progressively greater levels of responsibility in management leadership positions.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional colleagues who are familiar with your (a) managerial performance and ability, and (b) motivation to conduct graduate work. During the admissions process, you will have the opportunity to provide the names, titles, and email addresses of your colleagues. They will be contacted by the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) and given the address of a secure web site used to upload their letters. Please refer to the ApplyTX Application Notes below for detailed information on this process. You will have the opportunity to resend requests for a recommendation, provide an alternate email address, or suggest a new recommender.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose on your leadership experiences and aspirations. This essay may include details about your managerial experience, career aspirations, and how you believe completion of the LBJ School degree program contributes to those career aspirations.
- Submit a current resume which includes work experience, internships, volunteer work, awards, special recognition and accomplishments.
- A GRE, current or expired, is welcome but not necessary.
- An interview with members of the admissions committee will be arranged for candidates in November and early December.
ApplyTX Application Notes:
Select a Semester: Semester of Entry will be Summer 2015.
Program ID: From a pull down menu listing the open applications, choose: Executive Master in Public Leadership (EMPL). Major Code: 684680
Page 3: List every senior college that you have attended.
Page 4: Test scores are welcome but not necessary. You do not have to answer questions in this section.
Page 6 Awards: This program does not offer graduate or research assistantships, teaching assistantships, or fellowships. This section should be left blank.
Page 6 Employment: Please list relevant employment in your field which will satisfy the minimum of seven years of experience. Your resume will be used to show full employment information.
Letters of Recommendation
The LBJ School requires three recommendation letters from professional colleagues. The ApplyTexas application will allow you to list the names and e-mail addresses of these recommenders. Upon submission of your application, your recommenders will be sent an email containing instructions and a link to a secure site where they will submit their letters. They will be asked a short series of questions required by the University in order to submit their recommendation. Your recommenders will then be given the option to type or paste their recommendation letter into a text box or to upload it as a file. Please direct them to upload it as a file. We are unable to modify the questions that your recommenders will be asked on this page, so be sure to request that they address your managerial performance and ability, as well as your motivation to conduct graduate work in the letter that they provide.
You must waive your rights to access these letters when you complete your application. After your application is submitted and your application fee paid, additional recommenders may be added. If you failed to enter your recommenders' names and email addresses when completing your ApplyTexas application, you must do so by sending an email with that information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current resume or CV:
After submitting your online application and paying your application fee, you will be directed to upload your resume and other supporting materials to a special UT server which has file space for you. It is very important to remember that documents cannot be deleted once they are submitted. Please review the content and format of the documents before submitting. The system will only accept documents that are in PDF format. You should include your name and page number on each page of your professional resume.
Your statement of purpose should be uploaded into the same server and file space mentioned in the resume/CV section above. Do not submit your essay with the ApplyTexas application form. A document in standard essay format is required. There are no specific strict formatting requirements but please remember to double-space pages using normal 12-point font for ease of reading. Please disregard the instructions on the online application in regards to essay length. It may be as long or as short as you feel is necessary to explain your leadership experiences and aspirations.
Please review item 4 in the requirements section above.
Scans of official transcripts should be uploaded to the GIAC server along with your CV and personal statement. Even if courses taken at one institution are recorded on another college's transcript, transcripts must be submitted from the institution at which the courses were taken. If admitted to the program, you must supply official paper copies of your transcripts to the University for all senior colleges you have attended. Visit the following link for full instructions from GIAC on how to upload your documents: http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/pdf/transcript-upload.pdf
Unofficial transcripts from professional development classes and courses you took at community colleges may be uploaded as miscellaneous admissions documents.
Questions: If you have questions or encounter problems with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.