University Ranks Eighth in 2008 Peace Corps Volunteers

Jan. 13, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The University of Texas at Austin ranks eighth in the Peace Corps' top 25 list of large universities producing Peace Corps volunteers in 2008.

Since the Peace Corps' inception in 1961, 1,562 alumni have joined the organization. There were 70 undergraduate alumni and 14 Graduate School alumni serving in the Peace Corps in 2008.

"With the knowledge and training acquired at The University of Texas at Austin, these Peace Corps volunteers are making a positive contribution to the lives of people in 76 countries," Peace Corps Director Ron Tschetter said in a letter to William Powers Jr., president of the university.

The University of Washington ranked first in Peace Corps volunteers in 2008 with 104, followed by the University of Colorado, Michigan State University, the University of California, Berkeley and the University of Michigan.

12 Comments to "University Ranks Eighth in 2008 Peace Corps Volunteers"

1.  Kevin McPherson said on Jan. 15, 2009

What about Americorps members? I'm part of Americorps right now, and I think it would be interesting if that statistic was available as well, especially since not many people know about Americorps. Thanks.

2.  Anup said on Jan. 15, 2009

This is great news! I have been planning on joining the Peace Corps even before I graduated. I hope to apply and be involved before the end of 2010!

3.  john walker said on Jan. 16, 2009

Yeah for UT!

4.  Mathematician said on Jan. 17, 2009

This isn't actually an accomplishment, but the opposite. Where does UT rank in student population? It should rank at least that highly in Peace Corps volunteers in order to call it an accomplishment. As it is, UT sends a disproportionately small number of students to the Peace Corps. I love UT and am an alumni (with a degree in math), but I take issue with nonsense.

5.  Sacha said on Jan. 18, 2009

Yeah UT! Give me a couple of years, and I'll be another statistic. I'm so proud to be a part of a university that cares so much.

6.  Ed Nichols said on Jan. 18, 2009

Who/which office at UT might have complete information on UT Peace Corps volunteers: names, bio data, places and when served? A UT continuing education organization I represent would be interested in a presentation on this topic. Thanks.

7.  SIMON said on Jan. 21, 2009

I learned many more marketable skills in the Peace Corps than I ever learned at UT. Too bad you have to have a college degree to get an interview with the Peace Corps. Don't forget: Only one half of one percent of applicants are accepted. Start volunteering today!

8.  Mary Ellen Isaacs said on Jan. 21, 2009

I direct the AmeriCorps for Community Engagement and Education program (ACEE) at UT Austin, Charles A. Dana Center. ACEE members are recent college graduates and current college students who work full- or part-time as early literacy tutors "changing lives through the ABCs." Our program is one of only two AmeriCorps programs in Texas that have been in continuous operation since AmeriCorps began in 1994, and we are the only AmeriCorps State*National program at UT Austin. We have had more than 250 UT students participate. Each year, several of our alums head off to the Peace Corps because they have decided to extend their service beyond their local community. AmeriCorps is a great opportunity to learn about your own community and to engage in sustained and meaningful service through a 10-12 month commitment. Learn more about our ACEE program and the AmeriCorps programs in Austin.

9.  kander said on Jan. 23, 2009

The Austin group of former Peace Corps volunteers is a great resource for folks interested in joining Peace Corps or for returned Peace Corp volunteers. Connect with them at the Heart of Texas Peace Corps Association.

10.  Trinh said on Jan. 24, 2009

I still don't get why UT doesn't have any degrees that can be incorporated with the Peace Corps like the master's international program.

11.  Naufil Mulla said on Jan. 29, 2009

This is great news! Hook 'em!

12.  Nikki M said on Feb. 1, 2009

The Peace Corps is hard to get into, so this means so much more for the Horns.