Feb. 16, 2009

AUSTIN, Texas — Karl Galinsky, the Floyd A. Cailloux Centennial Professor of Classics and Distinguished Teaching Professor at The University of Texas at Austin, has been awarded a 2009 Max Planck Research Award for International Cooperation for his study of history and memory.

The Max Planck Society, in collaboration with the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, awards the $965,000 (750,000 euro) prize in humanities to only two scholars every four years. The German recipient of the 2009 prize is Aleida Assmann, professor of English and cultural studies at Konstanz University.

The 2009 prize has a thematic focus on cultural memory, which Galinsky will apply to ancient Roman civilization, particularly the age of the emperor Augustus. Galinsky's research also explores connections between antiquity and its perception in modern culture. The award committee credited him with building bridges "to current themes such as disenchantment with politics and multiculturalism."

Galinsky will use the award to support an interdisciplinary group of doctoral candidates and researchers who will investigate the role of memory in Roman civilization. It also will support Galinsky's research leave at Ruhr University in Bochum, Germany, where he will contribute to research projects on religion and the study of memory from a psychological and neuroscience perspective.

The scholar has earned numerous grants for his research, including Guggenheim and National Endowment for the Humanities fellowships. He also has been a consultant to Public Broadcasting Service and National Public Radio. The distinguished teaching professor teaches a popular introductory course on Rome, and leads the first Plan II study abroad program in Rome, made possible by the Ligon-Lamsam International Study Fund.

Galinsky's books include "The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Augustus," "Augustan Culture: An Interpretive Introduction" and "Classical and Modern Interactions: Postmodern Architecture, Multiculturalism, Decline and Other Issues."

For more information, contact: Jennifer McAndrew; Karl Galinsky, professor, Department of Classics, 512-471-8504.

8 Comments to "Professor Karl Galinsky Receives $965,000 Max Planck Award for Humanities Research"

1.  Karen Brittain said on Feb. 26, 2009

Hooray. I took Greek and Latin Elements from Dr. Galinsky in 1980. It has been one of the most useful courses I ever took. I had the opportunity to visit Pompeii in 2004 and to visit the museum in Naples the following day to see many of the works removed from Pompeii. Absolutely the best site I've ever visited on any travels. Congrats on your award, Dr. Galinsky. The icing on an incredible career, eh? Karen

2.  J McCart said on Feb. 26, 2009

Congratulations, Dr. Galinsky! The realm of memory is essential to understanding history and Menosyme's dance with the psyche. As an approaching Ph.D. candidate in Mythological Studies/Depth Psychology, I am exploring the ongoing influence of memory and psyche on our personal, cultural and political myths, particularly the awakening global psyche of the Goddess.

I value your work, and certainly recognize the dramatic turning point of Augustus' impact on governance, and, 200 years later, upon the Edict of Constantine I.

Again, congratulations for fracturing and entering the relational realms of mystery, story, psychology, science, history and religion--the endlessly kinetic and circuitous pathways Menosyme travels. I am interested in serving as part of your team in the area of memory and myth.

3.  Brett Westbrook said on Feb. 26, 2009

So wonderful to see the humanities supported this way. Congratulations! I would hope to see undergraduate research supported, too.

4.  Harold Billings said on Feb. 26, 2009

Karl has been stirring up thought, debate, instructional success and singular research at UT for many years, and I was fortunate enough to share some 40 or so of those years in his company. A great citizen, a real treasure at Austin, this is a wonderful award that brings distinction to him and to The University of Texas at Austin.

5.  Doug Hall said on Feb. 27, 2009

Congratulations to Dr. Galinsky! I am still working on material I received from one of the two to three classes I took from him between 1992 and 1995.

I hope to come by and congratulate you in person. Thank you for all of your excellent work.

6.  Andrea Smith said on March 2, 2009

Congratulations to Dr. Galinsky! I am honored to have learned from and worked with Dr. Galinsky as an undergraduate, and pleased to see others recognizing his abilities and greatness. He is a motivator and excellent teacher.

7.  Sylvester Rios said on March 4, 2009

Congrats to Dr. Galinsky. I took a course in Roman and Greek Mythology back in the middle '70s with him. It was the most comprehensive course I've had in my life. This course amplified my knowledge and understanding of other courses that I took--astronomy, biology, literature, etc. Dr. Galinsky is certainly a source of pride for The University of Texas at Austin.

8.  Karen Morrison said on March 12, 2009

I, too, took a class with Dr. Galinsky in the mid-'70s, squeezed in between organic chemistry and microbial genetics. I never expected a humanities class to be the most memorable of my entire university career, but his was. It was the class I ALWAYS looked forward to, and it has stuck with me the longest.

Congrats to Dr. Galinsky! He is truly a UT treasure!