Explore UT Brings 50,000 Visitors to Campus
Feb. 18, 2009
AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin will open its doors on the morning of March 7 for the 10th annual "Explore UT: The Biggest Open House in Texas," treating campus visitors to a day of fun and learning.
With more than 400 diverse activities taking place between 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., there is something of interest for all ages. All activities are free and no registration is required.
A schedule of events can be found online and a pullout schedule will be included in the Thursday, March 5 edition of the Austin American-Statesman.
"Explore UT is our gift to the Austin community, the Texas community and beyond," said President William Powers Jr. "With thousands of volunteers hosting hundreds of activities across our campus, the public is offered a glimpse into the wonders of technology, innovation, research, teaching and talent that can found within the university."
This year's lineup includes new and exciting activities, including:
- What FDR Might Tell Obama: Watch a Depression-Era President Offer His Advice.
- Facebook—The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Learn How to Use it Safely.
- Interested in Time Travel? Choose a historical moment. Through the magic of digital photography you can become a participant in the past.
- Computer Mapping: Find Your Way Around the World Using an Advanced Geographic Information System.
- Lights! Camera! Action: Watch University Students Rehearse and Film a TV Drama.
- Engineers for a Sustainable World: Explore Projects Such as Sand Filters and Homemade Windmills.
Explore UT begins at 11 a.m. but there are activities available for those who may want to get an early start to their day of adventure and fun. Early bird activities include:
- To the Moon: The American Space Program in the 1960s at the Lyndon B. Johnson Library and Museum, opens at 9 a.m.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Open House hosted by The University of Texas Libraries, opens at 9 a.m.
- The Texas Natural Science Center, home to Texas Memorial Museum, opens at 10 a.m.
Explore UT will take place rain or shine. Information on parking, food options and a list of activities is available online at the Explore UT Web site.
The University Co-op, cooperatively owned by the faculty, students and staff of The University of Texas at Austin, is a major sponsor of the event.
For more information, contact: Amy Crossette, Office of the President, 512-573-1078.