April 22, 2009

AUSTIN, Texas — H.W. Brands, professor of history at The University of Texas at Austin, was among the 93rd annual Pulitzer Prize finalists. He was nominated in the category of biography or autobiography for his book "Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt." This is the second time Brands has been nominated for the honor.

"Bill Brands has written many fine books but none so insightful, so persuasive and so timely as 'Traitor to His Class,'" said Alan Tully, the Eugene C. Barker Professor in American History and chair of the History Department. "The 2009 Pulitzer Prize committee's recognition of Professor Brands' book as one of three finalists in the biography category is a powerful endorsement of this and a recommendation to include his study of FDR on all our essential reading lists. Those who take this advice are in for a truly edifying and pleasurable read."

Brands was also named as one of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize nominees, which will be announced during a ceremony on April 24, kicking off the L.A. Times Festival of Books.

Brands is the Dickson Allen Anderson Centennial Professor of History and Government in the College of Liberal Arts.

For more information, contact: Michelle Bryant, College of Liberal Arts, 512 232 4730.

7 Comments to "H.W. Brands Named as Pulitzer Prize Finalist for His Book “Traitor to His Class”"

1.  Sally Brands said on April 23, 2009

Congratulations. I can see why they chose you as a finalist. I even got all the way through the book and quote you to my liberal friends who think that everything Obama is doing is brand-new. Your book just proves we should be able to learn something from history.

2.  Blanca Valencia said on April 24, 2009

Not only is he a great writer, but he is also a wonderful professor and lecturer! I had him for a class my sophomore year, and his class inspired me to fall in love with American history all over again.

3.  james caputo said on April 25, 2009

Saw Mr. Brands on TV today and loved his clear and understanding delivery regarding FDR. As a lover of American history, I look forward to my new discovery in Mr. Brands.

4.  Stephanie Webb said on April 26, 2009

He is a talented lecturer who makes both his lectures and books seem like in-depth conversations. Well done, Dr. Brands!

5.  Gus Castellanos said on April 27, 2009

Congratulations to Professor Brands. He was my instructor for a couple of classes at Texas A&M University almost 20 years ago, and I still remember some of his talks. His lecture style is as vivid and thought-provoking as his writing.

6.  Therese Gay said on July 30, 2009

Dr. Brands is one of the finest lecturers. I enjoy watching his series of lectures and listening to his books, especially on FDR. I congratulate this talented author, lecturer and professor for sharing his knowledge and lighting the spark to encourage others to learn. Also, thank you for teaching me the important thing about a book is its contents not which edition it is. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to your next book. The sky's the limit for you, Dr. Brands, and you will soar!

7.  alex Trakimas said on Aug. 17, 2009

Reading "Traitor to His Class" was a learning treat.