Sept. 14, 2009

AUSTIN, Texas — Dr. Kedra Ishop has been appointed vice provost and director of admissions at The University of Texas at Austin.

Dr. Kedra Ishop
Dr. Kedra Ishop

University Provost Steven Leslie said the appointment of Ishop, who has been interim vice provost and director of admissions since July 15, became effective Sept. 1. Ishop succeeds Dr. Bruce Walker, who had held the position since 1996. Walker accepted a new role as the university's vice provost for special projects.

"Kedra's leadership of the Office of Admissions over the past few months has been impressive, indeed, and she has represented our university with great skill, poise and expertise," said Leslie.

"I am honored to have been given this opportunity to lead The University of Texas at Austin's Office of Admissions at such an exciting time," Ishop said. "I strongly support the mission of President William Powers and the Commission of 125 of ensuring that the university recruits and enrolls a talented and diverse student body from every corner of this state, in between, and beyond to enrich the educational experiences of students in our classrooms and hallways.

"I enthusiastically look forward to working with the leaders of this campus, our colleges and schools, the university's staff, our alumni and our prospective students and their families and schools to make this mission a reality."

Prior to her appointment as interim vice provost and director of admissions, Ishop had been an associate director of admissions at the university's Austin office since 2003. Previously, she had been a counselor and assistant director in the university's offices in Austin, Houston and Dallas.

Ishop received her bachelor of arts in sociology, master's and Ph.D. in educational administration degrees from The University of Texas at Austin.

For more information, contact: Robert D. Meckel, Office of the President, 512 475 7847.

14 Comments to "Kedra Ishop Appointed Vice Provost and Director of Admissions at The University of Texas at Austin"

1.  Joe McNeil said on Sept. 24, 2009

Congratulations to you and to The University of Texas at Austin. I am very proud.

2.  Karen Cooper Linen said on Sept. 24, 2009

Congratulations to you. Good to see you in the newsletter!

3.  Kathy Wells said on Sept. 24, 2009

Dear Dr. Ishop,

Congratulations on your recent appointment. My husband and I had the opportunity to meet you last spring in Houston at the diversity reception and are pleased to see the university's commitment to promoting professional excellence. Our daughter Allison Wells is a freshman this year and is having a wonderful experience. If there is anything you need in Houston, please don't hesitate to contact me. Congrats!

4.  Phyllis Fisher, Ph.D. '92 said on Sept. 24, 2009

Congratulations! I look forward to my upcoming recruitment dates in Nassau County, N.Y. high schools with a really big smile. Phyllis

5.  Holden Hanna said on Sept. 24, 2009

Congrats, Kedra! Again, thanks for all your help with my admission in 2001.

Holden
B.S. Geophysics 2006

6.  Jose Montoya said on Sept. 24, 2009

Kedra,

Congratulations! I don't have the words to express how proud and happy I am to hear about your promotion. In 1994, I was a Resident Assistant in Jester Center and had the opportunity to collaborate with you on a diversity program for our residents. You were always so open, cheerful and professional. You made a difference in my college life. It's nice to see that time has not touched you. You're still the same Kedra who loves working with students to support and promote diversity at UT.

Congratulations!

Jose A. Montoya
B.S. Architecture 1997
Aguirre Roden (Architects, Dallas)

7.  Melissa Case-Vincent said on Sept. 24, 2009

Congratulations, Kedra! We had an educational admin class together back in 2004. As I see, you are doing very well :)

8.  Oscar Lopez said on Sept. 28, 2009

Greetings from the Laredo Texas Exes. Congratulations! We wish you continued success in your new role with the university. Hook 'em. Oscar Lopez '83

9.  Angela Eldam said on Oct. 7, 2009

Kedra: I still remember in 2001 how nervous my son and I were about admission to The University of Texas at Austin, and it was the only school he applied to. I called your Houston office and visited you, and you gave us such valuable information. He is now in grad school at UT, along with my sophomore daughter. You had a definite positive influence on behalf of UT. I am glad they have recognized your accomplishments and dedication. Congratulations!

10.  Lady (Hamilton) Bell said on Nov. 22, 2009

Congratulations, Kedra! I'm so happy to see what you've accomplished. I'm proud to call you my sorority sister. Hook 'em!

11.  Meg Beach said on Dec. 19, 2009

Kedra, UT is a better place because of you. I remember well our days as admissions counselors together back in 1999-2000. Congratulations!

12.  Alejandra Rincon said on Jan. 22, 2010

Kedra: Congratulations on the new role. We met while we were both in the Ph.D. program and have seen each other on and off in NACAC and other events. I wish you much success. Alejandra

13.  Willie Carter said on May 26, 2010

Kedra: Congratulations to you in all that you have accomplished in such a short time in your life. This is somewhat late, but I only got this great news today from someone whom you and I both know: Ms. N. Thomas. May the hands of God always be with you. Just look what the little town of Cleveland sent to Austin.

14.  Denise Padilla-Rorie said on July 9, 2010

Kedra, congratulations! I was researching colleges for my niece, who is now a senior at Humble, and I ran across this article. I am so very happy for you! God bless you always.

Denise