The University of Texas at Austin Introduces iPhone Application
Jan. 5, 2010
AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin today (Jan. 5) introduced its free iPhone application featuring news, sports, events, campus maps and shuttle bus information, a campus directory, videos and more.
The application is part of a wider, ongoing communications effort to provide alumni, faculty, staff, students and others with the latest information from all of the university's colleges, schools and units. The university plans to add new content and features to the application over time.
"We're always looking for new ways to engage members of the UT family," President William Powers Jr. said. "Keeping UT at the fingertips of the university community is one more way to connect."
Among the application's features:
- News — University news from breakthrough research to business, computing to medicine, arts to humanities and more.
- Sports — Breaking news, schedules, standings, scores, team rosters, bios and photos.
- Events — Sports, lectures, movie screenings, art exhibitions, symposiums and live performances.
- Tower Talk — President Powers' blog on life at UT.
- Campus maps — Search, pan and zoom in on UT campus buildings. Information about nearby UT shuttle stops, routes and arrival times.
- Landmarks — Use Google Maps to locate dozens of mid- to late-20th century sculptures on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Includes an audio tour.
- University directory — Search by first and last names for phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Tap to call, e-mail or locate on a map.
- Extras — Longhorn Band songs, UT trivia and more.
- UTv — University videos and photo gallery.
The university also plans to work on similar applications for other smart phone platforms.
To download the application, users may visit Apple's iTunes Store. More information about the application, which is also compatible with the iPod touch, can be found at http://www.utexas.edu/iphoneapp.