Research Shows Personality Differences Between Cat and Dog People

Jan. 13, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas — There really is a difference between "dog people" and "cat people," according to new research from a University of Texas at Austin psychologist.

In a paper to be published later this year in the journal Anthrozoös, Sam Gosling finds that those who define themselves as "dog people" are more extraverted, more agreeable and more conscientious than self-described "cat people."

Fans of felines, on the other hand, are more neurotic but also more open than their canine-loving counterparts.

"There is a widely held cultural belief that the pet species—dog or cat—with which a person has the strongest affinity says something about the individual's personality," says Gosling, who conducted the study with graduate student Carson Sandy.

Yet numerous studies that have tried to tackle this question in the past have failed to find convincing evidence for consistent differences between the two kinds of pet lovers. Gosling's paper is the first to provide a clear portrait of what cat and dog people tend to be like.

"This research suggests there are significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people," he says. "Given the tight psychological connections between people and their pets, it is likely that the differences between dogs and cats may be suited to different human personalities."

As part of the research, 4,565 volunteers were asked whether they were dog people, cat people, neither or both. The same group was given a 44-item assessment that measured them on the so-called Big Five personality dimensions psychologists often use to study personalities.

According to the findings:

• Forty-six percent of respondents described themselves as dog people, while 12 percent said they were cat people. Almost 28 percent said they were both and 15 percent said they were neither.
  • Dog people were generally about 15 percent more extraverted, 13 percent more agreeable and 11 percent more conscientious than cat people.
  • Cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic and 11 percent more open than dog people.

Gosling, a professor in the Psychology Department, is a leading authority on human personality. He is the author of "Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You" and recently made international headlines with his findings that people's Facebook pages reveal their true personalities, not their idealized personalities.

For more information, contact: Gary Susswein, Office of the President, 512-471-4945; Sam Gosling, 512-471-1628.

180 Comments to "Research Shows Personality Differences Between Cat and Dog People"

1.  Vicci Thompson said on Jan. 13, 2010

This study is from a professor looking for differences. I can say that within my family and friends he has categorized wrongly, and I suspect he considers himself a "dog" person. Our house has about every type of "critter" allowed by law. I like chocolate; he may prefer vanilla. Such things don't "type" us. There are more important issues to ponder. Vicci

2.  Denise Barkis Richter said on Jan. 13, 2010

It's extroverted, not extraverted. FYI! Cheers, Denise (Ph.D., Journalism, 1998)

3.  lou lou said on Jan. 14, 2010

I think everyone is different, and you can't decide how people are by what types of pets they like. I like all kinds of animals and want to be a vet. I'm very eccentric. I love clothes from different eras.

4.  Carolyn Coleman said on Jan. 14, 2010

Isn't the word "extroverted"?

5.  Elizabeth Hythecker said on Jan. 14, 2010

While I've often wondered if there is indeed a difference in personalities that might explain a person's preference for canine or feline companionship, I find this brief summary rather ridiculous. The labels assigned to the two different "types" of people are anything but impartial. On the one hand, the dog lovers are described in exclusively positive terms, while the cat lovers are saddled with the descriptor "neurotic." That's an awfully loaded word choice. Not to mention, neurosis can manifest itself in a an endless variety of manners including OCD, pyromania and hysteria. Surely Dr. Gosling is not suggesting that cat people like to burn things? I find the subject of the article rather intriguing, but I would suggest that Gosling take the time--brief as it may be in an article abstract--to better explain the characteristics he's designated to the two groups. What exactly is the difference between "extravert" and "open"? What behaviors or beliefs result in the label "neurotic"? A little clarification would lend some much needed scientific objectivity to what seems a very interesting study.

6.  Suneil Sood said on Jan. 14, 2010

I believe that "extravert" and "extrovert" are both correct. Regarding the dog and cat issue, it would be interesting if the scope of such research could be expanded to include regions of the world where dogs are eaten, or where people live in the vicinity of tigers.

7.  Mary said on Jan. 14, 2010

Are the people who noticed the misspelling of "extroverted" dog people or cat people?

8.  Robin Choban said on Jan. 14, 2010

The terms "introversion" and "extraversion" were popularized by Jung (1921) to describe how people direct their energy, whether inwardly or outwardly. Today, these traits are included as part of the Myers-Briggs psychometric instrument for determining how different people perceive the world. The word "extrovert," with an 'o,' is popularly used in the English language, but the correct term in the field of psychology, especially concerning personality type, is "extravert," with an 'a.' It is not a misspelling. --Robin Choban, B.A., psychology and English, 2006

9.  I am said on Jan. 14, 2010

Terms like "agreeable" and "neurotic" are relative and make no sense in scientific literature.

10.  Kevin said on Jan. 14, 2010

Both "extrovert" and "extravert" (less common variant) are correct. FYI.

11.  Gretchen said on Jan. 14, 2010

While the study purports to describe differences between dog and cat owners, the description suggests that it's really about differences between people who label themselves as "dog people" or "cat people." I wonder whether Dr. Gosling would have found personality differences between dog and cat OWNERS?

12.  Gary Susswein said on Jan. 14, 2010

In response to readers' comments, it's important to note that both "extravert" and "extrovert" are accepted spellings. "Extravert" is the standard spelling in the research and literature compiled by psychologists on the Big Five personality dimensions.

Gary Susswein
Director of Public Affairs, College of Liberal Arts
The University of Texas at Austin

13.  Robert said on Jan. 14, 2010

Well, that explains it! Lots of people have said I am neurotic just like my cat Milo, but I just didn't understand their justification. Agreeable and neurotic? A contradiction in terms to me.

14.  Yvonne said on Jan. 14, 2010

One of my dearest friends has always had both cats and dogs at the same time, so in what category does she fit? I have known several people who have/had dogs, and the dogs themselves are "neurotic" (in the non-professional sense). Are these dogs (usually dachshunds and chihuahuas) innately 'neurotic' or merely reflecting something from their owner/handlers?

15.  Joel Mackey said on Jan. 14, 2010

I'm actually quite stunned that someone that would have the education background of a doctor would publish such silly findings. I laughed my butt off from this comment, "Regarding the dog and cat issue, it would be interesting if the scope of such research could be expanded to include regions of the world where dogs are eaten, or where people live in the vicinity of tigers." There is no doubt that this study isn't a study and is an opinion piece for the Inquirer with relative terms and silly suggestions. Who paid this man to do this? Sad.

16.  Dan Tolliver said on Jan. 14, 2010

Was spelling one of the 44-item assessment criteria? What about lexical tolerance?

Are people who like both cats and dogs "agreeably neurotic," "conscientiously open" or merely "socially different"?

17.  Richard Lamb said on Jan. 14, 2010

I wonder what Snoopy and Garfield's reactions are to this entertaining study? Would the fans of Snoopy and Garfield agree?

18.  Kathryn said on Jan. 14, 2010

They should feature this on an episode of Penn and Teller.

19.  Kerri West said on Jan. 14, 2010

I'd be curious to see more about how this conclusion has been drawn. It's certainly an interesting subject and has the potential to be quite complex. Some cats are gregarious and 'dog-like,' and some dogs exhibit a stereotypically aloof 'cat-like' personality. It's almost as hard to put these animals into generalized categories as it is people. (If not harder, considering I don't know any dogs that are capable of taking the Myers-Briggs.)

I'm more of a cat person myself, but part of that has to do with the low-maintenance nature of felines, not just their personalities.

20.  Ryan said on Jan. 15, 2010

Neuroticism and agreeableness are both traits measured in the Big Five Personality Test, which psychologists commonly use. I think before attacking an article and its author that it would be prudent to understand the basic ideas and principles in question.

21.  Natalie Zimmerman said on Jan. 15, 2010

This is just embarrassing for UT. How unscientific can you get? How are openness and agreeability opposites? These terms have no clear definition. They are baggy and can mean anything.

22.  Leon Wilkinson said on Jan. 15, 2010

What about the people who described themselves as both and neither? While tantalizing, this story seems to lack some useful information.

23.  Nikolas said on Jan. 15, 2010

In my family those who like cats are fans of the Rolling Stones while the dog people support The Beatles.

24.  juliana m g said on Jan. 15, 2010

My two pets are cats, and I do not consider myself a "cat person." I would love to have a dog or two, but you have to walk them, which is why "dog people" are extraverts. They are out and about with their dogs, so naturally connect with other dog owners.

25.  janice leonard said on Jan. 15, 2010

What if you have a dog and a cat? And the two get along great? What kind of a person does that make the owner of the two?

26.  Justin said on Jan. 15, 2010

Why are we spending grant money on garbage like this? Seriously? Good grief.

27.  Kyle said on Jan. 15, 2010

Natalie is right, this is not quality science at all. The article seems to be more about catching people's attention than providing any factual or useful insight. Differences of 11-15 percent are way too small to make sweeping generalizations and don't suggest "significant differences" between dog and cat people. I don't know the field of psychology well, but I doubt Anthrozoos is a well-respected journal to be publishing papers in. This is a bad representation of UT scientists really.

28.  Allyson said on Jan. 15, 2010

I agree with much of what has been said here. I only want to add a couple of points. First, the word "neurotic" is indeed loaded and judgmental. I always suspect that people--including psychologists--are most willing to call others "neurotic" at the moment they are they are most unwilling to recognize their own neuroses. I'd be surprised if anyone walking this earth had no neurosis at all. Second, extroversion happens to have a good name, but that doesn't mean it's inherently healthier than introversion. Extraverts can easily have as many defense mechanisms as introverts do. It's been said that the majority of the population is extraverted...but the majority of the GIFTED population is introverted.

29.  Sydney said on Jan. 16, 2010

Looks like we've got a bunch of cat people commenting. Too bad.

30.  Deborah Douglas, M.D. said on Jan. 17, 2010

For me, the most enlightening point from this article (and the discussion that it generated) is that "extravert" is not a spelling mistake. I'll bet my dog, Boudreaux, already knew that. And, I am quite certain that my late, beloved cat, Thor, would have known that.

31.  Jill said on Jan. 17, 2010

I am a veterinary technician and animal behaviorist, and I find these results a joke.

32.  denise woodard said on Jan. 17, 2010

I had dogs when I was a child. I thought I was not a cat person. Later, I had landlords who would allow cats but not dogs. So I adopted a four-year-old stray cat, and my son and I loved the cat. They can have different personalities, too. This cat would follow me or my son around the house, would come when called, was very friendly. But we would not have gotten or considered a cat (this happened twice) were we not in the position of renting and not allowed to have dogs.

33.  Yvonne Greene said on Jan. 17, 2010

"Much to do about nothing."

34.  Aaron said on Jan. 17, 2010

The comments I am reading are, for the most part, totally misdirected.
a) This study is not about dogs or cats. It is about what you describe yourself as, i.e. - I own zero dogs or cats. However, if asked, I would describe myself as a dog person.
b) This article is not the study, rather it merely announces that a study is being published. Before criticizing a study it is generally helpful to have read it. As it is unpublished as of yet, none of you have done so.
d) Way too many of you are looking for spelling errors.
c) Essentially this seems to be a study about the link between personality traits and self perception, not what kind of animals wind up living in your household. The answers that were being sought were about correlations of traits to each other, no judgments or assessments. Correlation does not equal causation.
Assertion of opinion without information is not only stupid but irresponsible. That is the source of most bad policies and unfixable mistakes in human history.

35.  Rebecca said on Jan. 18, 2010

I agree with most of the people commenting. There are so many variables that it cannot be broken down into "dog-people are like this...cat-people are like this..." I am also disappointed that our tuition always goes up to be spent on silly things like this. It may have started out as a good idea, but failed somewhere between start and finish.

36.  Meredith said on Jan. 18, 2010

LOL, Nikolas. My family has nine cats, but we are huge Beatles fans. We did go to a Rolling Stones concert though. Think you could get UT funding for that study? It might require some more concerts, perhaps a trip to England.

37.  Bill the Journalist said on Jan. 18, 2010

"Extravert" is the term used by psychologists.

38.  Rod said on Jan. 19, 2010

The research was done in Austin. It is a college town, and students are more inclined at that age (especially males) to be dogs lovers since they can relate to the socialization and "fitting in to the group."

39.  Rod said on Jan. 19, 2010

People who have dogs have to walk them so they would be more inclined to be extraverts. When you walk a dog you are more inclined to be asked "What breed is it?", "What's his name?" or whatever, so you are more inclined to open conversation.

40.  Rod said on Jan. 19, 2010

In my family those who like cats are fans of the Rolling Stones, more high-strung, literally! While the dog people support The Beatles, more laid-back.

41.  Sophia said on Jan. 19, 2010

It seems that many of these comments are coming from people who feel their own personal experience is enough to debunk a study of 4,500. "I have a cat, but I'm an extrovert, therefore this study is wrong!"

I'm going to reiterate some of what Aaron said. This study was not based on the professor observing the behavior of pet-owners and ascribing personal characteristics to them. If you read the actual article, it surveys how the owners describe themselves, so all these hypotheticals "I have a cat, but she acts like a dog, so what type of person does that make me" are bunk. It was a study to see whether there were any commonalities between how people describe themselves and one of the most comprehensive and empirical personality models. Speaking of which, before we start blasting the language of the study (i.e. "How can you be neurotic and agreeable? This study is stupid" ), Google "Big Five model" and read the actual definitions. Yes, it's spelled "extraversion."

42.  Laura Havlick said on Jan. 19, 2010

Yay to Allison! I agree with Allison that '"neurotic" is indeed loaded and judgmental...and 'surprised if anyone walking this earth had no neurosis at all.' And also that 'extroversion happens to have a good name, but that doesn't mean it's inherently healthier than introversion.... It's been said that the majority of the population is extraverted...but the majority of the GIFTED population is introverted.' I love this! It deserves re-posting! From one of the introverted....

43.  Mirella said on Jan. 19, 2010

It is obvious that there are differences between people who define themselves as "dog people" or "cat people" as there are differences in collective consciousness regarding the "personality" of these different pets. And so what? What is the purpose of such a study? Was it just for fun? Or to get comments as a basis for another study?

44.  Von Allen said on Jan. 19, 2010

Wow. It is wonderful to see the variety of opinions on this article. I bet a read of the Gosling paper to be published in Anthrozoös would dispel many presumptions about this study. I'm amazed at how many people are willing to make comments about the study based on a few factoids in this article without reading the paper. Are those cat people or dog people? I think the comments on this article warrant a study. How is it that the subject of cats and dogs gets people so stirred up? Dr. Gosling?

45.  Brian Burns said on Jan. 19, 2010

I think the article should have defined the big five personality traits--most people are not going to be familiar with those. And maybe should have used the term "emotional stability" instead of neurotic.

46.  Lauren said on Jan. 19, 2010

I just don't understand how you can call a study "research" when 46 percent of the people studied were dog people and only 12 percent were cat people. I hope he has different results to publish because that could be quite embarrassing for Gosling.

47.  Jay said on Jan. 20, 2010

Bunk.

48.  Deena Berg said on Jan. 20, 2010

The comments are more interesting than the study. Especially the affinity between type of animal and rock bands. And were the pets and humans neurotic before or after the relationship began?

49.  Jeff said on Jan. 20, 2010

Dogs are co-dependant, cats are self absorbed. I don't know if this correlates with their owners. I know my life will improve once I train that cat to take out the trash.

50.  Kim said on Jan. 20, 2010

As a correction to the Robin Choban comment:

She writes: "The terms "introversion" and "extraversion" were popularized by Jung (1921) to describe how people direct their energy, whether inwardly or outwardly."

I learned that the terms actually describe what energizes a person, being alone or group interaction.

51.  caroline whitehill said on Jan. 20, 2010

I think I'd like to read the paper when it is published and save criticisms or congrats until that time. Pets are an important part of our social and emotional infrastructure and their value as such cannot be underestimated.

Regarding the necessity or validity of the study, again I'd have to read it. One thing I do know, and I am not a psychologist, is that care giving for a pet is also an important milestone for individuals learning to maintain responsibilities, establish loving relationships, and often offer rehabilitation tools for the physically or mentally disabled. In other contexts pets are used for therapy for the dying or ill.

So, there are many contexts in which studying the relationships humans have with their pets could be very poignant and telling!

That said, I look forward to reading the paper when it is published.

52.  Paul said on Jan. 20, 2010

As someone said, much ado about nothing. Common sense could have predicted with fair accuracy the results of this study. Somebody got paid to do this silly academic exercise...amazing! Nice work if you can get it. Making significant advances in our understanding of the world! Woot!

53.  Dr. Cygnet said on Jan. 20, 2010

Dogs are insecure pack animals and require validation from others in their pack, so it is little surprise they would co-adopt humans who also run in packs. Cats, on the other hand, have such a strong sense of self-identity that their independence is often mistakenly characterized as aloofness or self-absorbtion. It is little surprise to me that cats are more strongly attracted to humans who are themselves more independent and secure in their sense of self-worth.

54.  Kathy said on Jan. 20, 2010

Isn't Gosling the one who performed research on whether animals had personalities? Duh. Who funded THAT study?

I don't disagree that there may be differences in people who prefer different animals, but the nuances of language make Gosling's research problematic, at best. As a cat person, I may term myself peeved (due to my introversion) at his conclusions, but a dog person, the extrovert, may say he's P---ED OFF. But because I'm more open, I'll be downright P---ED OFF and will write a letter to the editor.

55.  catlovesdog said on Jan. 21, 2010

The comments seem indicative of a bunch of cat lovers trying to have cat fights. Hmm, now all we need is an MBTI-type versus pets. (Those who worry about "extraverted" versus "extroverted" need not worry about what that means.)

56.  Phil said on Jan. 21, 2010

Ha!

57.  gregg said on Jan. 21, 2010

Such aggression...clearly we live in a dog-eat-dog world!

58.  Susie said on Jan. 21, 2010

I prefer cats because dogs are far too needy, have to be picked up after and can't be left alone for extended periods of time. Cats are calmer, more self sufficient, generally smaller and in general, more convenient and cost less to feed. That makes me calmer, smarter, more efficient and able to be a quiet introverted person at home, not needing a large, slobbering dog to take care of me or miss me while I am out being an extravert with my friends. And music? I had a bird that loved the Beatles.

59.  David said on Jan. 21, 2010

Perhaps it would be helpful if the people posting would say whether they are dog people or cat people, and how many cats they own. I have my suspicions, of course.

(dog person)

60.  James Hetfield said on Jan. 21, 2010

This study is groundbreaking in that it details Dr. Gosling's legitimacy as an educator and as a member of academia as a whole. Additionally, it goes on to prove, once again, that psychology deserves the same recognition that the "hard" sciences do. All of the students at UT should be honored that their parents' hard-earned money, by way of tuition payments, helped in some small way to fund this study, a study which goes so far as to shine a light on a part of the answer to the question of what it means to be human. It is comforting that 100 percent of the people who were polled for this, apparently, controversial study responded in an intelligible manner and really, really like their animal friends.

61.  Dave G said on Jan. 21, 2010

There are an awful lot of neurotic comments here.

62.  Louis said on Jan. 21, 2010

Seems one could conclude (unscientifically) that sensitive could be another trait of cat-acknowledged types.

63.  Ann said on Jan. 21, 2010

What a waste of money! How many students could have received scholarships for the cost of doing this research? There are important research topics, and there are ones that are in someone's own self-interest, but don't really add to the depth of knowledge in the world.

64.  Rich O'Bryant said on Jan. 21, 2010

No rational person would doubt the guy that needs to own a huge pickup truck has a different personality from the person who thinks an electric car is the only rational choice. What the difference is, personality, level of maturity, intellect, etc., I don't know. Seems the same thing would obtain in pet ownership. I'm not sure this article nailed it. Wouldn't personalities differ between owners of adopted cats and $2,000 specialty breeds? I also think it is a hoot that so many people care about the spelling as much as the ideas.

65.  Jane S. Jones said on Jan. 21, 2010

Who really cares?

66.  Jeremy said on Jan. 21, 2010

Extraverted = More extroverted than necessary.

67.  Julie said on Jan. 21, 2010

Interesting comments and observations- I especially like #7. This touches on a theory I have long had--that I just do NOT get along with people who don't like dogs. I mean-- there are people who actually don't like dogs! They are mean, unhappy and not affectionate.

68.  Peter said on Jan. 21, 2010

What a great job he has. I sure wish I could spend my professional time researching such challenging and worthwhile subjects. Can I have a job working for this professor?

69.  Ron Wyllys said on Jan. 21, 2010

View the table of contents for recent issues of Anthrozoös. Feel free to decide for yourself whether it appears to be a scholarly journal.

70.  Linda Benskin said on Jan. 21, 2010

Having had only cats until 10 years ago, and now having a dog, I think the cause-effect is backward. Dogs have to be walked, which forces me to be more extroverted. They are very dependent which forces me to be more conscientious. Cats are quirky - if you are not willing to be a bit neurotic, you won't tolerate cat ownership.

71.  Fiona Reynolds said on Jan. 21, 2010

Whoever did this "research" obviously asked some leading and biased questions!

*Still no cure for cancer*...

72.  Erin said on Jan. 21, 2010

Wow. This is truly amazing. I agree that the comments are more interesting than the study. I also agree that most people are misinterpreting the actual study, but also that it doesn't seem sufficient based on the huge difference between the number of self-proclaimed cat people (12 percent) and dog people (46 percent). I agree with Lauren on that one.

Then again, I'm a classics major. This is just my narrow opinion.

73.  TP said on Jan. 21, 2010

The first thing that comes to mind is that dogs are pack animals, kind of like Democrats and Republicans, while cats are solitary independent hunters, kind of like libertarians, independents and the founders of the U.S.A.

74.  Kay said on Jan. 21, 2010

Anthrozoös (a refereed journal) addresses the characteristics and consequences of interactions and relationships between people and non-human animals across areas as varied as anthropology, ethology, medicine, psychology, veterinary medicine and zoology. Articles therefore cover the full range of human-animal relations, from their treatment in the arts and humanities, through to behavioral, biological, social and health sciences. (This information came from Ulrich's and the Anthrozoös Web page.)

75.  jeani said on Jan. 21, 2010

I am willing to read the full article before I form an opinion, but I think the comments are worthy of being published! Two observations: Austin is the most dog-friendly city I've ever encountered, so does that make Austinites inherently more extraverted? Secondly, my dachshunds are NOT neurotic!

76.  Irene Omer said on Jan. 21, 2010

One thing I wish the article about the research paper would clarify is what exactly it means that cat people are more "open." I thought that an extravert was open when contrasted with an introvert. So should I assume that cat people are "open" in the sense that they would be more tolerant of different people, or situations, more liberal? And the extravert dog lovers would be more conservative, less tolerant, more rigid, etc., because while they are friendly socially, they are close-minded? Who is the neurotic one then? More specifics would be great. Now, I want to read the actual research paper.

77.  Bill Bellamy said on Jan. 21, 2010

Regardless of how you feel about dogs, cats, spelling or validity/economic justification for the paper, this article sure got folks energized. Isn't that one of the primary goals of the academic experience? Congratulations, UT news! Me? I've got two dogs who think they're people and a one-eyed, one-eared snaggle-tooth cat that thinks it's Darth Vader.

78.  Jo Ann Richmond said on Jan. 21, 2010

I have never seen so many comments on a UT news article. Interesting opinions.

79.  Chris Lauer said on Jan. 21, 2010

I believe this study has confirmed its findings through the results listed on this page.

"Self-described" cat-people (not necessarily cat owners) seemed to lash out at others showing anxiousness (a neurotic behavior). It appears that the comments from people who are "self-described" dog-people, are tending to write more meticulous (a conscientious behavior) and relate more to the abstract in general than to a few key words written within.

I am looking forward to reading the entire published paper, not just the “summary” written on the UT news site that has put so many people up in arms at what colleges put money toward these days.

By the way, I consider myself a dog person.

80.  Kyle said on Jan. 21, 2010

I think most of the negative assumptions people are making about the study are based on the short description of the actual methods and results, as well as the quotes from the scientist who did the study. They don't match up. The quotes are misleading, as is the wording in the article...it's too black and white, needs more shades of grey (gray?!). This sort of over-simplification quickly sets off a lot of peoples' B.S. detectors, especially when it also says "numerous studies that have tried to tackle this question in the past have failed to find convincing evidence for consistent differences between the two kinds of pet lovers." --from a dog guy (yay, Beatles!)

81.  Susan said on Jan. 21, 2010

What a fun topic to explore! Thanks for the research, Sam. :)

82.  Kyle said on Jan. 21, 2010

I hope/bet the paper that is published addresses the uncertainty of the findings better, and avoids wording like "clear portrait."

83.  Russell Painton said on Jan. 21, 2010

Who cares? Just how much money was wasted on this? A perfect example as to how much funding is wasted on useless information in academia.

84.  Alan Colville said on Jan. 21, 2010

BTW, what is the difference between 'open' and 'extraverted'? This "study" is ridiculous.

85.  John said on Jan. 21, 2010

Having been saddled with two cats, and being a dog lover, I now understand what I am. I raised these cats as I would a dog, and one even looks out for the mailman and attacks him everyday...but, I guess that I now am an extraverted neurotic...much better than the "verteds" that my lady love accuses me of...thank you for clearing that up...I love social scientists.

86.  Dan Tirman said on Jan. 21, 2010

Utter nonsense.

87.  Dana Mardaga said on Jan. 21, 2010

I've always said that cats are the greatest indoor pets, dogs are the greatest outdoor pets. I have both. One thing I've noticed over the years is that if I meet someone, get to know them a little, and I end up NOT liking them...then I find out they hate cats. Can't be a coincidence since it has happened so many times. It's something about their personality.

88.  Sheri Broyles said on Jan. 21, 2010

I've also done some research on the Big Five and creativity. People who are open to experience tend to be more creative. Does that mean creative people are more likely to be cat people? I'm guessing not, but maybe because I'm very open to new experiences and I'm also a dog person. These tendencies from this study come from correlations of 4,000+ people. Any given individual might not fit the pattern.

Also, as an aside, the Big Five are not all or nothing but rather a continuum for each:
Very neurotic to not neurotic
Very extraverted to very introverted
Very conscientious to not conscientious
Very agreeable to not agreeable
Very open to experience to not very open

Remember, too, that reading this was like hearing a sound bite. You'll get a fuller picture if you read the entire study.

89.  Patricia Trimble said on Jan. 21, 2010

Well said Sophia #40. Remember UT is research-oriented and our researchers follow empirical methods in their studies. Readers appear to be evaluating the study based on feelings. Psychologists commonly use the Big Five Personality Dimensions. The study used a large sample size. I'm confident the results were found to be statistically significant before the conclusions were made. Thank you, UT, for teaching me research methods and statistics!

90.  Emily said on Jan. 21, 2010

Full disclosure - I happen to have a huge crush on Dr. Gosling. That being said, I feel that I must defend him. It seems that many commenters, not the article itself, are implying that personality traits are inherently negative or positive. As mentioned by others above, the big five personality traits (Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism) are commonly used in the field of psychology. To reiterate what Aaron said, the study is not about cats and dogs, it is about factors that reveal our personalities. This is simply a short article describing the study and not the actual study itself.

91.  Emily said on Jan. 21, 2010

First, @ Jeff, Ha! Yes, I wish I could also train my cat to remove the trash.

@Mirella, thank you. I was wondering the same thing. What is the purpose of this study? What was the goal? I think perhaps had the article outlined this clearly, many of the disputes could have been avoided.

@Lauren, I also think it's a bit odd to draw these conclusions when you're looking for a difference between how people perceive themselves and most of the people you poll represent just one type of perception. I hope the actual study provides more data about ages, professions and living locations as these would all play a possible part in the perception/outcome of the test. As someone mentioned, you're polling a college town, so while these correlations may hold true for your group under scrutiny, holding the same study somewhere else and with a different social crowd may reveal very different results.

Personally, the thing I found most intriguing was just how many people obviously didn't bother to read all the previous comments before posting. Now there's a study: How many people actually read others' input before posting their own opinion? What does it say about the personality of those who do? Or, maybe, that just shows that some people have more free time than others.

92.  Herman said on Jan. 21, 2010

I don't have a dog in this cat fight.

93.  Pat McN said on Jan. 21, 2010

I am always amused at studies like this -- they can go only so far! Difference between dog and/or cat people? Dogs are nearly always active, bouncing, often noisy, playful insofar as rough-housing goes -- This is what interests most dog people. The cat, on the other hand, is more playful as a kitten, matures and is quiet, gentle, loving (most of the time) and has shown more or less historically can survive better if in the wild than the dog! Their quietness, high sensitivity to their surroundings, people, lends to this better-survivor personality. And they like quiet people, gentle people, not playful, extremely active, even rowdy folks. Cats, as a rule, prefer women for their owners -- Dogs, generally, on the other hand prefer men -- their natures match well --- And both species are loyal and loving given the right care, home and masters! Generally, cat lovers will also love some dogs -- on the other hand, not as many dog lovers tend to love cats! Had both in my life in my 80+ years and lots of time to observe them and their 'masters/mistresses.' Cats really do grow UP, dogs mainly just finally grow OLD...figure that out. On the other hand, most neurotic people go for such things as parrots -- who squawk often when disturbed!

94.  Tom said on Jan. 21, 2010

So, how do you suppose the experts would describe personality traits of those who own both dogs and cats? Besides of course that dog owners tend to resemble their pets.

95.  William Dewberry said on Jan. 21, 2010

Spend grant money on searching for treatments and cures for cancers. In the meantime, put the dog people and cat people thing on the back burner.

96.  TP said on Jan. 21, 2010

We could rip on the operational definitions of the categories all day, but I still feel one thing is certain: no study is a complete waste. This particular study may not be the best example to feed to the Townies to convince them of the virtues of knowledge and the rigors of science, but it certainly has its place in the psychology literature. To the commentor who claimed it to be "useless information," rest assured that it probably was not funded in the sense you think it was funded. I imagine a grad student paid his tuition and learned how to conduct a survey he devised to methodically answer a question. Would you expect someone to be denied the opportunity to answer their own questions after paying to learn how to do it?

97.  Raymond Luxury Yacht said on Jan. 21, 2010

No, only "extrovert" is correct. BTW, my name is pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove," and I resent that the 15 percent of us who are neither have received short shrift.

98.  John Brooks said on Jan. 21, 2010

RE: comment #17 - Don't you mean Odie and Garfield?

99.  r renner said on Jan. 21, 2010

Amazing how readers dredged up so much of consequence out of such a seemingly superficial but imaginative bit of research.

100.  Kevin said on Jan. 21, 2010

I've read every comment, and I must say many of them trouble me. So many people seem so eager to discount the field of psychology and attribute to it less "worth" than the harder sciences. To that, I have this to say:

The way most non-psychologists (most of the people posting here) get their information about studies is through journalism like the above. It's INTENDED to grab your attention and be pop-culture oriented. Modern psychology is heavily focused on the brain and thus often far too dense for the average Joe. When you have a Ph.D. in psychology (and like everyone has been saying, a LOT more information about the study), you can question his character as an academic.

101.  Richard Lamb said on Jan. 22, 2010

Whoa, hold your horses! Did these dog and cat owners have neutered or spayed pets? Are their pets adopted? And have they owned them for more than three years? Time to go fishing with another study, please.

102.  Alma said on Jan. 22, 2010

I’ve a couple of dogs who can definitely bring out the “neurotic” in me. I don’t like cats because of the dander and smell of a litter box; and not at all because I’m “extraverted” – although I LOVE petting those kitties at the pet store. I think this makes me an agreeable dog-keeper, kitty-cuddler who thinks 15 percent is not terrifically significant in the study, let alone a “clear portrait.”

103.  Kyle said on Jan. 22, 2010

I wrote one of the earlier negative comments on here. And since reading many of the follow-up defenses by people who know more about psychology than myself, I regret it. Sorry, Sam and Carson! It was due to the fact that this article's focus was about catching people's attention instead of explaining the real science behind the study. Probably a tricky balancing act for science journalists, especially in psychology. Glad I'm in a hard science! But thanks for getting all of our attention, that part definitely worked! Again I'm reminded to wag more, and bark less :)

104.  Phillip said on Jan. 22, 2010

On the extraverted/extroverted debate...I believe extraverted is a double neologism, the first being verted, meaning turned, bent, deformed in some way, and extraverted is even more so.

I'm happy to be a cat person. My 12 percent neuroses are a small price to bear.

105.  Wayne D.Parker said on Jan. 22, 2010

I am a WWII veteran who has always had both dogs and cats. I will be 89 in February and trained guide dogs for the blind from 1998 until 2005, then dogs for St. Francis Episcopal Church now. Training all types of dogs for our service dogs school, Four Paws for Vets. The dogs are smarter than most people think and when their training is complete will go to disabled veterans located at a military hospital here. I ask that you contact me to understand why dogs can be more than pets. They save lives.

106.  Barbara G. said on Jan. 22, 2010

What about the fact that a person might like dogs but are allergic so they have cats instead. Doesn't mean they aren't a dog person or an authentic cat person. They just went with what worked.

107.  Larry ouellette said on Jan. 23, 2010

I wonder how you can tell if someone is 11 percent more "open" than someone else. I had an extra vert once, but I sold it on eBay.

108.  Larry Ouellette said on Jan. 23, 2010

I haven't read all the comments, but I ended up reading most of them because they are very entertaining. #89 is right (correct?). One of the functions of graduate school research is to teach students how to do research, and I am certain this study, however silly it might seem, fulfilled this function. Probably didn't cost all that much, and probably polled UT students, so I wonder if the privileged, dorm-residing UT student body correlates with the real world that surrounds it. Just one more comment on cost before I find something useful to do--this is the school that is raising tuition to pay for a football coach from $3 to $5 million the week before he showed his failure to develop the bench by letting his team get blown away on national television (and this no criticism of the freshman who came in and did a great job nor the quarterback who was taken out with an early injury.) Sorry, I digress but, hey, it's Saturday morning. I grew up with dogs and cats. I like 'em both now, but I am definitely a non-neurotic, introverted, conscientious, semi-agreeable cat person.

109.  MJ said on Jan. 23, 2010

And why is this important--there has to be something better UT can spend grant money and time on.

110.  Thérèse said on Jan. 23, 2010

Re: 100: You are vesting too much authority in academic pedigrees (yes, pun intended). Learn a little history, and you will want to applaud everyone on this board who is being critical.

111.  samiles96 said on Jan. 23, 2010

Does this imply that all followers of Islam are neurotic since the Koran states that Muhammad favored cats over dogs? Dogs are generally viewed as dirty animals in the Middle East and cats as clean animals. This is a cultural norm. Ridiculous conclusion.

112.  Robin Choban said on Jan. 23, 2010

In response to Kim's comment (#50):

She writes, "I learned that the terms [introversion, extraversion] actually describe what energizes a person, being alone or group interaction. Introverts can often be very outgoing. They just need to regroup and refill their tanks alone."

"Introversion" as originally described in the Jung Lexicon is "A mode of psychological orientation where the movement of energy is toward the inner world." Further, "An introverted consciousness can be well aware of external conditions, but is not motivated by them. "

An introvert may be quite verbal, and enjoy social interactions with others. However, the essence of an introvert is to focus on his or her external life.

Please do your research before submitting comments as "corrections" to those of others.

113.  Robin Choban said on Jan. 23, 2010

Sorry...last comment should read, "However, the essence of an introvert is to focus on his or her INTERNAL life."

A great resource for anyone wanting to learn more about personality type and character traits, such as introversion, extraversion, openness and neuroticism, is Keirsey & Bates' (1984) "Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types." Take the relatively short test to determine which of 16 basic personality types you are (or aren't, if you're one of the rare exceptions), and then read all about it. Very insightful!

114.  Valerie Gamez said on Jan. 24, 2010

I am wondering who wrote this article. Anyone who has ever been interviewed by a journalist knows that most of the important information is left on the cutting room floor and the three least important sentences uttered were taken out of context and published! I will reserve judgment for the article itself.

115.  Peg W said on Jan. 24, 2010

Do people who like both dogs and cats agree that they are neurotic?

116.  Erin said on Jan. 25, 2010

Having had a class at UT with Dr. Gosling I feel slightly biased and want to defend him even though my somewhat neurotic personality and hatred for cats do not coincide with his study findings - I recommend if you feel this article was too brief or lacking in adequate details you head over to CNN to read a much more detailed article on the study.

117.  cdugga said on Jan. 25, 2010

My experience has been that cat people are neurotic. Specifically the few I know seem to interact socially on an obsession with trivia level and don't seem to be responsible financially, and are mostly unaware of their social responsiblities in actions while obsessing on the responsibilites of society to themselves. Kind of catlike now that I think of it.

118.  Kathy said on Jan. 25, 2010

Re: Comment #60, which implies that status as an educator and a member of academia confers legitimacy and proves objects of studies. I, myself, have a doctorate and am a member of academia, and I can tell you that being a professor and an academician ARE NOT de facto indicators of the legitimacy of ANY research. Hang around our "community" and you'll find some real morons--probably myself included.

Re: Comment #63: "What a waste of money! How many students could have received scholarships for the cost of doing this research?" Maybe Purina was the source of funding. Maybe such research supports target marketing to extroverts, who require dog chow, and neurotics, who value cat litter.

By the way, I know a lot of extroverts who are neurotic, as well as neurotics who are conscientious. So, what's in a label? "A rose by any other name...."

119.  Holly said on Jan. 25, 2010

What about people who hate pets in general? ^_^

120.  john said on Jan. 26, 2010

I suggest the professor study the differences between people who classify themselves as either "big dog" or "little dog" types. I have a feeling people who are "little dog" types are hyperactive, nervous, annoying and talk in a high-pitched voice.

121.  Allison said on Jan. 26, 2010

MSNBC now has a video in bold print which states that "Cat lovers are neurotic, new study finds." While others may reserve judgment about this study, the media obviously will not and will choose to seize upon the most loaded word available. And let's face it, neurosis and neurotic are fairly strong words for most people because many will automatically equate it with severe mental illness right off the bat. So therefore, cat lovers must be absolutely nuts and this explains the crazy cat lady. Thanks MSNBC. Perhaps Dr. Gosling would like to head this mess off at the pass?

122.  lightshow said on Jan. 26, 2010

Bucky Katt is my kind of critter. ;<)

123.  Sara said on Jan. 26, 2010

A lot of people commenting don't understand the basics of psychological research. It makes sense to me that this research seems like junk if you don't understand statistics and have not heard of the Big Five. Remember that the findings aren't meant to be applied to individuals. Any individual dog lover might be introverted or cat lover extraverted, but overall dog lovers were more extraverted, etc.

124.  Sunil Thomas said on Jan. 26, 2010

Swell...there go my tax dollars down the drain...hook 'em, horns (scorn)!

Thomas (Ph.D., 2009)

125.  Jan said on Jan. 26, 2010

As an old English major I believe the bard's quote was "Much Ado About Nothing." Not "to do." (Post 33).

However, 121 posts means this is clearly something!

126.  Josiah said on Jan. 27, 2010

Compelling study! The attributions are perfect! They confirm what I've known all along.

127.  Josiah said on Jan. 27, 2010

Comment #120 - Exactly.

128.  Julie said on Jan. 28, 2010

I spoke with my dog about this. He feels he is a dog person, however he is agreeably neurotic and definately would go to a Stones concert.

129.  Edgar Uribe said on Jan. 28, 2010

OK, first of all, this isn't THE research paper. Second, no single study of this sort has ever been or will ever be 100 percent applicable to anyone you might know, so obviously there are going to be many exceptions. Third, don't complain about the tuition: 1) You are not forced to study here and 2) This is a RESEARCH university. We do a lot of RESEARCH which requires money. Fourth, one cannot assume bias from someone conducting a study unless: 1) You have done your research and happen to know Dr. Gosling very well and 2) You have actually read the paper, which isn't very probable due to the fact that it hasn't been published. Fifth, the traits of dogs or cats have NOTHING to do with the traits of people who associate themselves as "dog people" or "cat people."

I'd also like to mention the fact that I'm a "fish person."

130.  Janna Taylor said on Jan. 28, 2010

Dear Dr. Gosling, your article and all the above comments are great! My husband, Bill, and I have three dogs and seven cats. He loves the Rolling Stones, and I love The Beatles. I am the "crazy cat lady" among our friends. So where does that leave us? Go 'Horns! Thank you. Best regards, Janna Taylor, Houston, Texas

131.  Ileene Marcuse said on Jan. 29, 2010

I own both a cat and a dog. I ADORE all animals. I'm open, friendly and resent being labeled "neurotic." I'm also a pet sitter, and I find there are just as many dog owners who are neurotic. You should have interviewed me.

132.  Ann Ford said on Jan. 29, 2010

I think "study shows dog lovers are more boring and conventional than cat lovers" is a more accurate summation of this thin study than "cat lovers are neurotic."

133.  PJ said on Jan. 29, 2010

Perhaps the controversy is as much in the research as how it is being presented as a headline. Regardless of whether the term is clinical or not, to say cat owners are neurotic in a headline is taking advantage of most people's literal interpretation of the word. Why would Web site editors want to give that impression? Why does the academic community use such a loaded word in the first place? It's so typical of psychobabble.

134.  jwoo said on Jan. 29, 2010

And, UT spent how much money figuring this out?

135.  Molly said on Jan. 30, 2010

This article is an embarrassment to the usually excellent UT home page and certainly must not represent the serious types of studies being funded on this campus. It represents the absolute worst in pop-science reporting: it is so dumbed down that it is meaningless to a reader who thinks about it just for a few seconds. First of all, What on earth does neurotic mean? I believe that term is highly controversial and doesn't even appear in the current version of the DSM. And what does "open" mean, or "conscientious"? How did the study determine whether the subjects possessed these characteristics?

136.  Ken Gant said on Jan. 31, 2010

I think the results clearly indicate that all cat lovers should be permanently imprisoned to prevent their mental illness from further harming society.

137.  Aalia said on Feb. 4, 2010

I hope all of you who took time to comment on this article actually take time to read the research when published.

No one should put down any type of research. Sure some interpretation can be off, but please do not make the 4,000 or so people who put in time for this feel like it is not appreciated. Results that come for all studies can be useful to move ahead.

138.  Ken Crockett said on Feb. 7, 2010

If the good professor had asked, "Do you pick up after your dog," he would not have concluded dog owners are conscientious.

139.  Scooby Doo said on Feb. 8, 2010

Cat folk, being neurotic is not an inherently bad thing, the study is not insulting you. Simmer down and go read up on what the big 5 is before you start getting upset. Also, nowhere in this article does it say "the study determined cat people to be exactly like this without fail...." It only implies that cat people tend to be more neurotic, introverted, etc., than dog people are. At the end of the day judgment should be reserved until you've read the actual research which should clear up any misconceptions. If not, it's OK, you're only a cat person after all.

@121 "head em off at the pass?" I hate that cliche. - Headey Lamar...It's Headley.

140.  peggy appleby said on Feb. 9, 2010

The fact that there are so many really heated, emotional comments in regard to this study draws me to conclude that it is indeed important research. Furthermore, I believe that research that concentrates on human behavior is valuable.

Although I personally love all animals and have had both cats and dogs, I consider myself a "dog person." The results of the study reflect what I've observed (in general) among my friends. What I'd like to find now is a study on snake and bird people! Wouldn't that be interesting!

141.  C. Modisette said on Feb. 10, 2010

Regarding the "extrovert" vs. "open" contrast -- extroverts are more socially active (minglers). Whereas, "open" refers to a person's nature with respect to intimacy. Dog-lovers tend to love-and-go. Whereas cat people tend to love-and-cuddle. Dog-lovers tend to have "alpha-like" personalities. They are drawn to the dog's unconditional love and loyalty that requires little effort to maintain. So, they can go about their daily life, ignoring the animal and return when they feel like it. Cat-lovers tend to be more intimate. Just like complex human relationships, it takes effort and attention to maintain the love of a cat...and cat-lovers are willing to put in that effort...because they respect the feelings of their pet...as they do their human lovers.

142.  Gabe said on Feb. 10, 2010

What about fish people? They have to be a heck of a lot more neurotic than cat people.

143.  Brenda said on Feb. 10, 2010

I would imagine all your comments are also part of this study and how you respond to the scenario, the study may or may not be the example above but your response to it or why would they allow so many comments? Just a thought!

144.  Joan said on Feb. 11, 2010

I have read a sampling of the posts and can conclude that the synopsis presented here as part of the UT Austin news item is controversial. For a more detailed conversation and to truly see S. Gosling's conclusions one must read the entire article which will be published later this year in the journal Anthrozoos. I suspect there will be more sound science in the full article.

145.  Shawn H said on Feb. 12, 2010

So, you can apparently leave comments about "news." I did not know this. I'd like to ask the question: What is the definition of "neurotic" in the context of this study? What sort of criterion would one be classified as such? Nonetheless, interesting that study was not "verifiable" previously.

146.  Dev said on Feb. 14, 2010

There are some incredible innovations being done in the sciences and engineering. Why not showcase them? The utexas.edu main Web site is now becoming like the National Enquirer for research. We had studies on sex labs on why women seek or don't seek sex and now dogs versus cats. Spectacular research on alternative fuels, battery, VLSI (very-large-scale integration), wireless, etc. is being ignored.

147.  Jeff said on Feb. 15, 2010

This is a specious study of species. Is the "neurotic" category self-assessed? Is this not science, this is poetry.

148.  Isaac said on Feb. 18, 2010

Interesting study, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. All animals have different personalities, and therefore someone who is a "cat" person may in fact be attracted to cats that have traits usually given to dogs. It is true that attraction to different things may indicate differences in personalities, bu just dogs versus cats seems too broad and prone to error.

149.  jwoo said on Feb. 19, 2010

What a complete waste of university money and everyone's time.

150.  Catty said on April 27, 2010

What's the difference between a dog owner being more "extroverted" vs. a cat owner being more "open"?

151.  Linda said on May 7, 2010

How many times have you seen such "conscientious" dog owners let there dogs go to the bathroom all over someone's yard and walk on by without cleaning it up!

152.  Catsup said on May 8, 2010

Some of the most neurotic, disagreeable and social people I know are "dog people" but they just don't know they are neurotic or disagreeable! My study shows that dog owners are more self-absorbed and they're usually dealing with other self-absorbed dog owners who don't notice. Which would explain why all the dog people are quite pleased with this "study" and I use the term loosely. How exactly do you conduct an UNBIASED study with three times more dog owners than cat owners?

153.  Wyknot said on May 19, 2010

What percentage are hedgehog people?

154.  Imas Sandrik said on May 20, 2010

I act just like my dog.... Most of the time. I think that dogs relate to their owners. Roxy, my dog, will be crazy if I'm crazy or calm. My friends have cats, and I can't stand them.

155.  Milica said on July 20, 2010

"...those who define themselves as "dog people" are more extraverted, more agreeable and more conscientious than self-described "cat people..." It's NOT true ! I don't agree with this ! This guy just hate cats, that's all... :P

156.  gissele said on July 31, 2010

If this research is true, then why are lonely old women usually called cat ladies (lonely implying in a sense that she is not extraverted)? And have you ever met an outgoing athlete who had a cat? No, they are usually dog people. I'm personally more introverted and am a cat person.

157.  marie said on Aug. 3, 2010

I have two cats and my neighbor she has a dog...I can honestly say that there is not one difference in our personalities because I have a cat and she has a dog. A person's personality is not based on what type of pet you own, it depends on yourself...note to self...you did have a personality when you didn't have a pet and it didn't change when you got one, so how do cats or dogs determine the way you are or your personality.

158.  You guys are silly said on Aug. 10, 2010

1. For all who think that anyone was PAID to conduct this study...you are wrong. Your tuition dollars are not being "wasted" on this research. It is a survey study that was conducted over the Internet. It didn't cost anybody anything...other than those who collected the data and wrote up the study.

2. Those of you who are trying to correct misspellings are being ridiculous. Not only is extravert the proper term in Big Five personality research, but this isn't even the actual journal article. So if there were any misspellings, it had nothing to do with the authors of this paper.

3. This research is based on CORRELATIONS. This means that there is a relationship between certain pet person types and certain Big Five personality traits. That doesn’t mean that just because you or your neighbor or your friend doesn’t fit the profile, that the research is completely unfounded. Anecdotal evidence is not scientific.

4. Those who are complaining about more detail, complaining about the definitions of the Big Five, criticizing the use of the word “neurotic," etc., just stop. If you read the actual publication, you would get more than enough detail and clarification. Also the terms Extraversion, Agreeable, Openness, Conscientious and Neuroticism have been used in thousands of studies as this Five Factor model is the primary source of personality measurement in the field.

5. Basically, this article was used to stir interest in this research. It was dumbed down and summarized for those who (justly so) don’t want to do all the background research and read the entire published journal article. This UT article really wasn’t written to instigate scientific criticism (as none of you have seen the published methods or results).

159.  Lee Bowers said on Aug. 12, 2010

I would like to hear about the personality traits of the 28 percent who are both dog and cat people. Do they display all the traits listed? Can they be introverted AND extroverted?

160.  trevor bienvenu said on Aug. 14, 2010

having cats or dogs does not change your pesonallity

161.  Scott S said on Aug. 17, 2010

Comment #9 -agreed! I'm guessing the author of this paper is a "dog person". Why use subjective, stigmatic, language to describe "cat people"?

162.  SA said on Sept. 10, 2010

Please tell me that you are studying the comments.

163.  Pete said on Sept. 15, 2010

I don't see any conclusive evidence from this study. I do know that any person given enough time with either a cat or dog will get accustomed to the way they are and adapt to take care of them -- that is human nature. In a way humans get trained by their pets in their behavior and nature. I have a dog and have been trained by him for the past 13 years. Maybe I will get a cat next and get trained by him/her.

164.  James said on Sept. 28, 2010

I always thought there was a difference between the personalities of cat and dog people. I never considered myself an extrovert, but I am definitely a dog person.

I agree with Pete. We are trained by our pets as much as we train them. We like to think that we are just adjusting to meet our pet's needs. However, those changes form habits, which is training.

165.  Lincoln said on Oct. 19, 2010

Agree with James - dogs DO train their owners, I've seen it for years. A happy, outgoing dog will make the owner smile a little more. Would the study conclude that dogs are the extroverts and the owners follow the dogs' lead? My years of training German Shepherds can give a lot of examples.

Lincoln Kern

166.  Asha said on Nov. 16, 2010

The type of pet a person is attracted to is a great indicator not dictator of that person's personality. People who are extroverted tend to only be concerned about their needs and their feelings under the guise of affection and guilt trips. They very much want to be on top as opposed to co-habitating peacefully. They very much want to viciously attack those who are not a part of the wolf pack or doggie lynch mob I should say. Introverted people are not here to frolic and play catch all the time. We are here to create innovate and inform. We are real people who send beautiful inspirations through movies, books, songs, paintings, clothing, technology. Yea! Cat people! Asha

167.  ade kurniawan said on Aug. 4, 2011

I like cat and dog, but I'd prefer cat (because I'm moslem)
I also make a blog about cat characteristics at http://catcharacteristics.blogspot.com .

168.  Kittymamma said on Aug. 16, 2011

I agree with the doctor, but for some different reasons. I find that because cats require less care and attention than dogs, owners may tend to be less of a care-giver than a dog owner. Cats are very independent, and although they will shower you will love at times, those times are at their choosing. They certainly are more quiet animals, and people who enjoy solitude, peace, good music, books, as opposed to jogging, active sports, will also find themselves among the cat lovers. Although I have had dogs, it was always for my children growing up, but now, as a senior, I love my two cats, and find them beautiful companions.

169.  Sarah said on Sept. 15, 2011

I think the guy who carried out this study was a dog

170.  Topwebsitez said on Sept. 16, 2011

"Extravert" is the term used by psychologists..

171.  Maddy said on Sept. 17, 2011

Uh, Elizabeth Hythecker, if you knew anything about the psychology field, you would know that the term "Neurotic" is used here due to the test being based on the Big Five Personality Traits (as evidenced by their counterparts Openness, Agreeableness, Extraversion, and Conscientiousness). And had you studied the infamous Big Five for even five minutes, you'd know that the study was certainly NOT suggesting "cat people" are pyromaniacs by any means.

Do some *light* research on the matter before making unfounded and ridiculous assumptions.

172.  Maddy said on Sept. 17, 2011

Asha -

"The type of pet a person is attracted to is a great indicator not dictator of that person's personality."

You hit the nail on the head with that first statement, and then went downhill from there. But at least you didn't even try to hide you bias. Your outlandish claims remain unfounded, and are even more undermined by your admittance to your bias.

Tell me, how can you be so sure of what "dog people" are actually concerned with and what they want when you AREN'T one *and* have not so much as carried out a study. Alas, this comment must just be your "Cat person neurosis" acting up ;)

173.  Cody said on Sept. 19, 2011

Dear Asha,
Please tell me you do realize that by posting what you did on Novemember 16,2010 you actually invalidated your point. You said it was the extroverted people who can't co-habitat well you do realize with all the venom you put into your response you proved introverted people can have just as much venom. Just something to think about. But have a great day.

Love,
An extrovert

174.  Ciderpop said on Oct. 7, 2011

Not sure I go with this. I love dogs but have had cats because of work commitments. I am now a cat person but I know many friends who choose cats over dogs purely because of time restrictions.

175.  David said on Oct. 23, 2011

176.  Kevin said on Oct. 24, 2011

What if you adore both? This is just another way to drive a wedge between people by the educated idiot so called Mental Health community so they can sell more pseudo therapy. People on this planet are insane from no fault of animals!

177.  Ronda Harris said on Nov. 12, 2011

One cannot assume so much is true about either personality type with only one research study. I happen to be a cat person, and I am not neurotic. However, I am conscientious, and I can spell extroverted.
Ronda Harris (M.A. Tenn. Tech. Univ. Class of 2010

178.  Bubbles said on Nov. 18, 2011

I have long held that cat people tend to be more adventurous and less rigid than dog people. It's just something I've noticed over the years. In fact, if a person says they hate cats (and worse, if they say they hate all animals) I know I'll have little in common with them. Dog lovers, or rather, cat haters, tend to be more traditional and rigid, not like me at all. (By the way, you should read Sam Gosling's book, Snoop, before getting too uptight about the word 'neurotic'.) For the record I love cats but also love dogs - our new American Bulldog puppy arrives today (woohoo), but I yet to inform the cat.. For the record, according to Sam Gosling I am unusually 'Open' and I love that.....read the book. Very interesting.

179.  A.J. said on Dec. 6, 2011

WOOF WOOF!

180.  Mocca said on March 2, 2012

I'd have to disagree with the results as far as my own personality goes. I love both but I'm more of a cat person than a dog. And I definitely am an extrovert and agreeable person. But of course the results can not possibly describe every person.