Tower Lighting Delayed in Support of Earth Hour
March 26, 2010
AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin will join the City of Austin in demonstrating its commitment to the environment by delaying the normal lighting of the Tower until 9:30 p.m., March 27. This local show of support is part of a global event, Earth Hour.
The university's Division of Recreational Sports is also participating and delaying lighting of the following facilities:
- Whitaker Fields (Guadalupe and 51st streets)
- Whitaker Tennis Courts (Guadalupe and 51st streets)
- Clark Field (San Jacinto Blvd. and 21st St.)
- Clark Basketball Courts (San Jacinto Blvd. and 21st St.)
- Penick-Allison Tennis Center (1701 Trinity St.)
"By doing something very simple, we make a bold statement regarding our support of sustainable initiatives," said Jim Walker, university director of sustainability. "We invite everyone to do their part during Earth Hour and turn off home lights and power down computers."
For more information, contact: Rhonda Weldon, Univ Op-Communications, 512-471-4472.