Texas Affirms Commitment to Big 12 Conference

June 15, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin will continue competing in the Big 12 Conference, university officials confirmed today.

The university's commitment was verified by President William Powers Jr. After examining every facet of a 10-member league from competitive, media, branding and economic perspectives, the university determined it is well-served by membership in the Big 12.

Chris Plonsky, William Powers Jr. and DeLoss Dodds
From left, Women's Athletics Director Chris Plonsky, University President William Powers Jr. and Men's Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds at the June 15 media availability about the Big 12 Conference.Photo: Marsha Miller

"We believe this decision is in the best interest of our student-athletes, coaches and university constituencies," Powers said. "We are pleased to continue the traditions we have developed with our partners in the Big 12. We are in this 10-team conference for the long-term."

"Our priority all along has been the continuance of the Big 12 Conference. We have worked diligently with other league members and conference staff to assess the strength and future viability of our institutions," said DeLoss Dodds, men's athletics director. "The Big 12 has served its members well. We move forward with the commitment and confidence of 10 Big 12 universities to ensure the very best academic and athletics opportunities for the student-athletes we support."

"We have been thorough in assessing all of our options," said Chris Plonsky, women's athletics director. "After due diligence and deliberation, we believe we are tremendously well-served by the Big 12 Conference. For one, we cherish the preservation of traditional rivalries. We also have assurances that we may continue working toward our goal of establishing a UT television network-channel that would provide additional exposure for our institution, seeded greatly with programming associated with our 20 men's and women's sports programs."

Powers added that the Big 12 is positioned to succeed in a changing collegiate athletics landscape. The University of Texas System Board of Regents does not need to meet to approve this decision.

The Big 12 will consist of Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

For more information, contact: Nick Voinis, 512-471-2151, and Don Hale, 512-475-6869.

11 Comments to "Texas Affirms Commitment to Big 12 Conference"

1.  THEOLA said on June 15, 2010

RENAME THE CONFERENCE THE "TEXAS TEN", IT WORKS!
;-D

2.  THEOLA said on June 15, 2010

NEVERMIND...THERE ARE STILL OTHER SCHOOLS.

3.  Karen said on June 15, 2010

As a loyal jayhawk, I want to thank Texas for standing tall in support of the Big 12. I especially love the quote "For one, we cherish the preservation of traditional rivalries." I admit I was skeptical when we went from the Big 8 to the Big 12, but Texas has proven to be just the kind of member we are lucky to share a league with.

4.  Tom from Omaha NE said on June 15, 2010

KETV from Omaha NE says:

An unnamed Texas University official said the conference doesn't need Nebraska, calling Husker football "not as competitive" as it was in the 80s and 90s.

And the governor of Missouri, Jay Nixon, said the Big 12 will be stronger without Nebraska and Colorado, the "two weakest programs in the Big 12." Nixon said Nebraska's record dragged down the power rankings of other Big 12 schools.

Texas U you really managed to take over the Big 12, you have the championship game each year, you worked this one to your advantage.

5.  Tom from Omaha NE said on June 15, 2010

We cant wait for October 16th...go huskers

6.  Carlos Leos said on June 15, 2010

Thanks for staying in the Big 12! Also, thank you for keeping in mind our students and athletes and letting the rivalries continue.

7.  Ken Tran said on June 15, 2010

YYEEEESSSSS! This bond will not be broken.

8.  Kris M. Meyer said on June 16, 2010

As a 1980 alumnus of Iowa State University, I want to thank Chancellor Brady Deaton and the MU Athletic Directors for agreeing to keep the Big 12 Conference intact. Even though I have lived in Southern California for the past 25 years, I am a huge fan of the Big 12 and I ALWAYS support every Big 12 team whenever they play any other conference. I’m bitterly disappointed in Colorado leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 10 especially considering I have sent two of my three children to school there paying out-of-state tuition with no scholarship help. I have sent the CU Boulder President and the Athletic Director a very strong letter of protest for their decision to abandon the Big 12.

Thank you and your other Big 12 counterparts for their commitment to the greatest conference in the USA. The Big 12 lives on and praise God for the wisdom of its members.

Kris M. Meyer
Claremont, CA 91711

Iowa State University – Architecture 1980

9.  Gabriel said on June 20, 2010

Since when is everyone in the conference so excited because the schedule got easier? Last I checked, the Big 12 South is still intact and we just added two conference games in football. It's a lot easier to play some division 3 team than two more members in the Big 12. The north teams are the ones who are messed up now. They used to play one another and then one game against the south. Now they have to play Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, OK State, Tech, etc. I think it's just going to show the big gap between the north teams and the south teams.

10.  Kirk Van Praag said on June 23, 2010

This whole issue is a disconnect with what is truly important to The University of Texas at Austin, which is the education of our students, and the support of our employees. I was raised to be a Longhorn, and have supported our teams throughout my life, but the whole enterprise now has become something of a demigod to worship, and we are not the better for it.

11.  Christina said on June 23, 2010

This is the best decision for the student athletes who will have to travel to compete. I cannot imagine how much class they would have missed for a mid-week game in the Pac-10.

I did my undergrad at KU and I'm now a grad student at UT. I am so happy to see these two schools remain in the same conference. Also, has anyone noticed that the two schools without any Big 12 rivalries (Colorado and Nebraska) were the ones to leave? OK by me!