Alert Update: Campus Shooter Confirmed Dead; No Other Injuries Reported

Sept. 28, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas — Updated at 3:12 p.m.:

Message from the President:

I am grateful to our campus community for the way it responded to the emergency that took place at Perry-Castañeda Library this morning. The University Police Department and the Austin Police Department responded quickly and professionally. Law enforcement teams from multiple agencies worked together to ensure that the entire campus was safe.

I want to thank our faculty, staff and students for their cooperation and vigilance. Our emergency communications system reached thousands of members of the university community promptly and helped keep the campus informed.

I extend my sympathy to the family, friends and classmates of the young student who took his life. In the days ahead we will attempt to understand his actions and to learn from this tragedy. We invite those who would like counseling services to contact the Counseling and Mental Health Center (for students) or the Employee Assistance Program (for staff and faculty).

I know that this has been a stressful experience for everyone on the campus. I appreciate the cooperation we received from students, faculty, staff and their families in responding to this difficult situation.

Sincerely,

Bill Powers
President

Updated at 1:35 p.m.:

Message from Parking and Transportation Services:

The UT shuttle service away from campus will end at 2:30 p.m. today, Sept. 28. Read more about shuttle departures.

Regular Capital Metro mainline service has resumed normal activity on and around campus.

No inbound UT shuttle service will be available to campus for the remainder of the day. Regular shuttle service will resume on schedule Wednesday morning, Sept. 29.

Updated at 12:06 p.m.:

Message from the President:

As we secure the main campus, continue to follow instructions from the UT Police regarding when you may leave your building. These instructions will be provided through official communications channels.

Once the occupants of a building have been informed they may leave, those students, faculty and staff are free to go home — with the exception of those employees who work in critical services. Classes for today are canceled and will resume tomorrow, Sept. 29. Employees will receive paid emergency leave.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Bill Powers
President

Updated at 9:52 a.m.:

Message from the President:

In the interest of keeping you up to date on the current emergency, I want you to know the campus remains locked down. All students, faculty, staff and visitors should stay indoors and continue to follow instructions (from loudspeakers, e-mail, text messages and uniformed police officers). You will be notified when the situation becomes stable.

The armed suspect is dead. No other injuries have been reported.

All organized classes for today, Sept. 28, are canceled.

Please continue to monitor e-mail and the university's home page for updates.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Bill Powers
President

Call the hot line at 1-866-657-9400 for more information on today's events.

Updated at 9:37 a.m.:

The person involved in this morning's shooting on campus has been confirmed dead on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

No other injuries have been reported.

The university's alert system warned students, faculty and staff to stay in place or off campus. The alert system includes the emergency siren and loud speaker system on campus, emergency text messages and online communications.

For more information, follow the university's Emergency page online at www.utexas.edu/emergency and the university's home page at www.utexas.edu.

102 Comments to "Alert Update: Campus Shooter Confirmed Dead; No Other Injuries Reported"

1.  Maurice Thompson said on Sept. 28, 2010

Im happy that UTA is ready for an emergency like this. I hope that there is not a second shooter at the school.

2.  anh phuong ta said on Sept. 28, 2010

I hope all students and staff remain safe.

3.  Chris said on Sept. 28, 2010

There should be a move for tighter security checks at places like the PCL, but again would that be convenient? That would take away from people's time. Who is the shooter?

4.  Traci Hausmann said on Sept. 28, 2010

How do you get the e-mails and text message alerts! I didn't get anything.

5.  Antonius said on Sept. 28, 2010

Can you send out a mass e-mail that the university is closed and all classes are canceled for the day? Some people do not know to check this site. Thanks.

6.  Marcy said on Sept. 28, 2010

I think that UT did an awesome job letting the students and faculty know instantly of the shooter on campus...good job...thank goodness no others were hurt.

7.  katie said on Sept. 28, 2010

The link on this page says the campus is OPEN!

8.  Andrew Kelling said on Sept. 28, 2010

This is exactly why we need to allow concealed carry on campus, so that if this shooter had decided to open fire, he would've been stopped long before he would have done much damage

9.  Michael said on Sept. 28, 2010

For people still on campus, is there any sort of guess on when they can leave?

10.  William R. Tinsley said on Sept. 28, 2010

Congradulations to the University of Texas alert systems, and all personal involved for keeping students and faculty informed. This is a reminder of the day in age we live in. Had not been for swift action by UTPD, APD, and all other law enforcement, this could have been a whole lot worse. I feel safer as a student, bearing witness to the course of action that officials have taken.

11.  Jennifer Scalora said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am VERY sad to have this happen at our beautiful school. it's like having our home violated. I am relieved that, so far at least, our students, faculty and staff are safe. People have followed directions, good emergency plans were in place, the UT and Austin Police and SWAT have been thorough and cautious.

12.  ana said on Sept. 28, 2010

wow you guys acted fast.... so great

13.  Scott said on Sept. 28, 2010

My prayers go out to all those at UT! Take care!

14.  Angel Juarez said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am right here at the UCC. There around 4 bullets here in front of the door and the police has a dog sniffing around to find more bullets.

Me and Deacon John are the only two people in the whole building and we are okay.

15.  Matt said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am thankful all the students are ok! So many bright young people experiencing such a tragic event, this is truly sad.

16.  Victor Mendiola said on Sept. 28, 2010

From my kid who is a UT alumni and works at the Blanton, he was totally impressed with the warnings that were put out to include, sirens, and blocking off the campus. He called us right away to let us know he was okay. From a parent standpoint, thank you for prompt response to a tragic affair.

17.  Todd Rainer said on Sept. 28, 2010

You guys be safe out there!

18.  Michelle said on Sept. 28, 2010

How ironic, the day we were to have a lecture defending 2nd amendment rights, we have a shooter instead.

19.  A. V said on Sept. 28, 2010

Hi, I know that classes are cancelled, and i just wanted to make sure if tests are cancelled as well? mine is at 7pm so i dont know if the university will be open by then?

20.  Howard said on Sept. 28, 2010

I was surprised to not get a UT emergency text and that KUT didn't mention it on-air until after I had driven past the scene/blockades off Guadalupe on my way to work on north campus. Glad to hear it was handled well on the main campus and everyone is safe!

21.  Allison said on Sept. 28, 2010

As a UT Alum, my heart goes out to the students, faculty, and staff on that campus...I am so sorry for the stress and anxiety you must be feeling. Glad to know the campus responded so quickly...

22.  erin said on Sept. 28, 2010

or IS it ironic?

23.  Jason said on Sept. 28, 2010

CCW carriers could not have done any different in this situation. You may have had a few of them running around looking for where the shots came from resulting in a barrage of gunfire or multiple deaths of renegade (counterstrike-gamers) CCW carriers.

24.  Lijia said on Sept. 28, 2010

The university should do more to prevent such kind of things happen. My friend is in that university.

25.  James said on Sept. 28, 2010

Least everyone's safe. Right?

26.  Laila Francis said on Sept. 28, 2010

As a parent for a UT student I’m thankful that all students, professors and workers are ok.
My daughter called me immediately to let me know she is ok. Great communication system.
May God be with you and protect you all.

27.  Kimball said on Sept. 28, 2010

Yep, looks like the dude was exercising his 2nd amendment right! Problem is this idiot felt that his rights trumped other’s rights to a peaceful life.

28.  Anali said on Sept. 28, 2010

So are all classes still cancelled?

29.  David Fozdar said on Sept. 28, 2010

I'm so glad that the situation was apparently handled very well. I am not at UT anymore, but I hate to see anything like this happen; it actually makes me quite sad.

These kinds of events can happen on any college campus, so this, in no way, reflects the culture or climate at our great school. If anything, UT is a very laid back relaxing place to study, and this is coming from a former Ph.D. student in Mechanical Engineering, not the easiest fields of study to pursue.

Everything will turn out well.

30.  Erika said on Sept. 28, 2010

I did my undergrad at UT and was devasted to hear the news. I know that the majority of students practically live at PCL, especially during midterms and finals week. I'm happy to see that UT did a great job in swiftly responding to this tragic event. I am also relieved to hear that no students, faculty or other staff were hurt.

31.  Amena said on Sept. 28, 2010

From down in Aggie Land,
Allot of us heard what happened, and are glad you guys are safe! Terrible irony about the lecture.

32.  Sharon Yeates said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am impressed with how this was handled, but I want to know why they seem to think there is a second shooter.

33.  Debbie Aitken said on Sept. 28, 2010

Good job to UT for planning ahead for the safety of all. I wonder if he was one of those guys having anti-depressants side effects. Either way, I am impresses with UT's safety plan in place. I hope the other colleges follow suit.

34.  Nivi said on Sept. 28, 2010

Sad to know this happened on our campus. It's time to educate young kids at grass root levels, good human and citizenship values...so their life is not gone wasted in anti-social activities like these.

35.  christle j said on Sept. 28, 2010

Be safe all especially my bobo love u

36.  L. Strain said on Sept. 28, 2010

Thank you Lord, thank you UT for protecting our loved ones.

37.  Jesse Windle said on Sept. 28, 2010

In response to Andrew, this is exactly why we DO NOT need conceal and carry on campus. Having others carry weapons makes identifying the shooter much more difficult. It appears that there is only one shooter, but because of conflicting descriptions campus is going to be locked down for the entire day. Imagine if tens or scores of people opened fire in the midst of chaos. How would anyone know who was "good" and who was "bad." In particular, how would UTPD know who they were trying to apprehend? Instead of increasing the rapidity with which a subject could be isolated, giving others guns only prolongs the amount of time everyone is in danger. The reality is that crazy people will always cause problems. The best defense is to treat those with psychological illnesses, not arm an entire campus.

38.  Lindsey said on Sept. 28, 2010

Would a student with a concealed weapon have stopped the shooter? Perhaps. But the average person isn't trained to handle high stress situations like that, and if the campus had been more crowded perhaps could have injured others by accident--or enraged the original shooter into doing more damage. I would much rather have trained professionals handling a firefight with a suicidal man wielding an AK47, especially in a busy public space. Perhaps the person with the license trusts their skill to handle anything and everything. I don't.

39.  Hugo said on Sept. 28, 2010

This is actually why guns should not be allowed on any person on campus or anywhere in this beautiful city. If everybody carried concealed weapons, this city would be like the OK Corral!

40.  Jorge Molina said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am pleased that the corresponding authorities acted rapidly and efficiently. As opposed to Mr. Kelling, I believe this type of violence would have not been, and can not be, subdued by allowing more guns on campus. The damage could had been a lot worst if anyone else would had decided to open fire in a public library. The prompt response by the APD, UTPD, and SWAT demonstrates the futility of armed students on campus.

41.  Edward Lopez said on Sept. 28, 2010

I was very shocked of course by the word this morning on the way to work. I quickly texted some of my former students who now attend UT and warned them not to leave their apartments or dorms. As an alumnus I was very frightened for my fellow college family at the best university in the country. I stayed tuned and up to date with the news and stayed on pins and needles to hear the latest update. Thank you, KVET, for keeping us posted and THANK YOU to all law enforcement and administration at UT for keeping our university family and future alumni safe.

42.  Rae Starry said on Sept. 28, 2010

I'm not sure if this shows that students should be allowed to have weapons or not. The gunman passed students without harming them. What would have happened if one of the student had his concealed weapon and attempted to be a hero? Things would have got messier.

We just have to thank the effective warning system, the police, and the fact that the gunman was not intent on harming anybody, because he could have harmed a lot of us if he wanted to.

43.  Bonnet said on Sept. 28, 2010

To Andrew Kelling...this is a most outrageous and preposterous idea. Almost stupid. That is the reason to NOT have guns at UT. We don't live in "Sin City." We live in a (almost) civilized society.

44.  Amber said on Sept. 28, 2010

Andrew(commentor #1), allowing guns on campus is not the solution. You claimed that if people were allowed to carry weapons this wouldn't have happened, where is your logic. The shooter took his on life and by the grace of God no one else was hurt. Would you have felt better by apprehending the shooter with your weapon? Hopefully this event can help unify our community and encourage citizens to be mindful of their surroundings and events going on in others lives. Great job APD, FBI, UT faculty and staff.

45.  Alumnus said on Sept. 28, 2010

So sad to hear this news. My heart goes out to all of you. Stay safe.

46.  Cheryl said on Sept. 28, 2010

Looking for a student named Niquita Lance. Your aunt Pam is a techer and she is with her class now. Please text or call and let us know how you are.

47.  Rosario said on Sept. 28, 2010

Thank you so much to all the law enforcement involved, as well as the staff, faculty and students for the safety of all.
As a UT mom I was extremely concerned from afar.

48.  Rick Lewis said on Sept. 28, 2010

I echo the sentiments of other parents of UT students in saying a big Thank You to the University staff and UT police and other law enforcement for their swift action and especially for keeping everyone informed. My daughter was in Gregory at the time. We're all rattled but OK.

49.  Michele said on Sept. 28, 2010

As an applying student to UT, it is impressive how quickly the response was to keep the staff and students safe. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire UT community and the family and friends of the shooter. We have a friend on campus today and are just glad he is safe.

50.  ronnie said on Sept. 28, 2010

Why did it have to happen good thing for u.t.p.d and a.p.d good job men and women keep up the terrific work

51.  Olivia said on Sept. 28, 2010

I go to school just down the road at Texas State, but I have plenty of friends who go to school at UT. I am so happy that the university was so well prepared that it could act as fast as it did to this event. Thank you so much for keeping my friends safe and I pray that nothing like this ever happens again.

52.  kristen said on Sept. 28, 2010

Thank you UT-police for your professional handling of this terrible situation. It makes it clear that only those who are professionally trained should handle these volatile situations. I urge the first commentor to retract his or her comment regarding repeal of the carrying of concealed weapons on campus. All-out shooting would have been the worst possible scenario. I am so grateful that all of my students and staff are safe.

53.  Tim said on Sept. 28, 2010

This alert needs to replace the feature story.

54.  Bill said on Sept. 28, 2010

Bad week in Austin- First UT loses to UCLA and gets dropped in ranking from #7 to #21, We might have a rough game against OU saturday, and now the shooting.

55.  Tracie Rodriguez said on Sept. 28, 2010

Thank GOD there are no life threatening injuries! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the shooter. I am sure they are devasted. Thank you to the law enforcement for protecting our staff and students. May GOD be with you all!

56.  MS said on Sept. 28, 2010

All of you at UT have plenty of people thinking and praying for your safety up here in Norman.

57.  Ellen said on Sept. 28, 2010

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone at UT. I am thankful to and so proud of our law enforcement entities. Awesome job! I am so thankful that lives were spared today. GOD BLESS you all. I will continue in prayer that all remain safe. I am thankful for the sirens and warnings UT has established. I am thankful that the gunman did not hurt others. That is a miracle! Praise GOD! GOD SPEED!

58.  Scott d'Agrella said on Sept. 28, 2010

This is great to hear University of Texas is one of my top college choices, and it just went to the very top considering that they are able to react to any type of disturbance quickly! Im glad everyone is ok! Stay safe!

59.  Deborah Tovar said on Sept. 28, 2010

It is sad to hear that someone took their life away, my prayers are with his family. I am glad that no one else was hurt. Hope everyone is safe!

60.  Ricardo said on Sept. 28, 2010

Concealed carry on campus? Really? Although I agree this could have stopped him before it could just provide the tools for someone else to start shooting at people.

61.  pam said on Sept. 28, 2010

Impressive as a parent of a recent grad...thank you to all who were involved!

62.  Jessica said on Sept. 28, 2010

I graduated May 2000 and am now beginning a MFA at Southern Utah University. It's so strange to look back on a time when campuses were just realizing the necessity of emergency measures for school shootings and to consider now how they are not only common but rehearsed and used. I'm certainly glad we have them and the incredible staff and response teams who risk their lives daily to develop and enforce them. Thank you to the responders and your fast actions; you have prevented a tragedy from becoming much worse than it is.

63.  Phillip Hooker said on Sept. 28, 2010

Not no, but heck no, students or faculty should not be able to carry concealed firearms on campus! Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in carrying concealed firearms, but a university campus isn't the place for it. Law enforcement personnel are the only ones who should carry firearms on campus and are trained to handle situations where they may be needed; students and faculty are not.

64.  Lee West said on Sept. 28, 2010

Any report on the identity of the deceased?

65.  Kaye Jacobson said on Sept. 28, 2010

My brother was a student at UT when Charles Whitman went on his killing spree. What a horrible day that was as families waited to find out about loved ones. Thank the good Lord this ended without death or injury. Thank you to all who were on the front lines of protection this day. God bless all.

66.  Amy said on Sept. 28, 2010

You have the Aggie family praying for you all today. Thank goodness no one else was hurt. Great job to those who protect and serve. Stay safe, UT!

67.  John-Davis Rutkauskas said on Sept. 28, 2010

Thanks to the UTPD and university administration, a much more serious crisis was averted--very fortunate.

68.  Dan said on Sept. 28, 2010

Well, no injuries except the death of the shooter, so that turned out about as well as possible.

69.  Ashley Avila said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am glad to hear that UTPD and APD handled the situation quickly and were able to keep everyone safe. My prayers go out to everyone on campus and to the shooters family. God bless!

70.  Mark Petersen said on Sept. 28, 2010

My daughter called me minutes after the emergency alert system was activated to tell me what was happening. As a proud alumnus, I am thankful for the quick and organized response by the administration to protect our daughter and the entire campus.

71.  Tymekia said on Sept. 28, 2010

Does anyone know who the shooter was? Who or what was he after and why he killed himself?

72.  George Tsaganis said on Sept. 28, 2010

Tragic event with good teachings on how to be prepared. Congratulations to all involved and best sympathies to the victim's relatives.

73.  objectiveobserver said on Sept. 28, 2010

Yes, very impressive response.

74.  sharon said on Sept. 28, 2010

I have to say that no one needs to be stupid enough to go on a shooting rampage...either for money that they don't have or whatever...it's not right to use a gun on anyone including themselves. You got some problems, go talk to someone, don't revert to a gun.

75.  Noah Kalish said on Sept. 28, 2010

I don't know if I'll feel safe on campus until CHL holders are allowed to carry. As it stands now, should someone else decide to do this, my safety is based on the police response time. I would much rather know that I am part of a defended student body rather than a sheep hoping the shepherd arrives before the wolves eat me.

76.  Jonathan Amlong said on Sept. 28, 2010

First off, thank you to the UT police! Nice job. That being said this guy could have killed tons of people if that had been his plan. Please, please, please consider a concealed carry law for students. Strict certification and training, of course, and a thorough background check. Let's lead the way for other universities to implement concealed carry laws. "What starts here changes the world!"

77.  Ruthie Hoover said on Sept. 28, 2010

Once I found out what was currently going on at UT this morning, I immediately grabbed the phone and my son who attends the school answered and was on campus. I could hear the loud sirens in the background and it made me sick. Finally, he began walking away from campus and his girlfriend picked him up. What a relief to hear that he was back at his apartment. I am so thankful that everyone is safe, and I am thinking of the gunman's family during this difficult time. Thanks to the Austin Police Department, FBI and the UT staff. Good job keeping our children safe and out of harm's way.

78.  scott said on Sept. 28, 2010

It's going to be a creepy floor now.

79.  Karrie said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am going to pray for everybody at UT...and nice job UT police. You guys acted fast.

80.  Marnie Bethel said on Sept. 28, 2010

UT did a great job informing everyone...kudos to our staff, police and faculty. Be safe, all.

81.  Joshua Byus said on Sept. 28, 2010

First, I am happy that no one other than the shooter himself was harmed. Second, I feel that all police and UT handled the situation in a timely, informative and secure manner. Now I would like to address the concealed carry law for students, or anyone who enters the UT campus. How many of you would stand up and actually do anything, if there was a shooter and you were licensed to carry a concealed handgun? Will you be trained to handle a masked gunman such as a police officer or trained professional would? What if you aren't the best shot and shoot an innocent bystander? Don't you think that you would merely aggravate the situation and lead to lethal, or more lethal, consequences? What if there was no threat, yet you carried a gun, and it accidentally discharged in a public setting? How many idiots do you think would whip out their gun to show a friend and cause a panic amongst other students? Or how about if a person has a license to carry a concealed weapon and has a nervous breakdown (or any mental lapse) and decides to take out his gun and shoot into a crowd of people? Any scenario is possible. The risks of allowing such a thing on a campus of 50,000+ students/faculty/staff are too great.

82.  Theresa Robinson said on Sept. 28, 2010

As an out-of-state parent of a UT student, I am grateful that this emergency was handled quickly and effectively to keep our children out of harm's way as much as possible. My only concern was that my son did not notify me, and I only heard of the events via Facebook. Can parents be notified of these situations so we can reach out and be sure our children are OK?

83.  Michael Rhodes-Devey said on Sept. 28, 2010

Many thanks to UTPD for how they handled the situation.

From the Statesman this afternoon: "With students pointing the way, officers chased the shooter, who ran into the Perry-Castaneda Library and up the stairs to the sixth floor. That’s where he appeared to have shot himself, Acevedo said."

84.  Ed said on Sept. 28, 2010

This is exactly why we need to ban firearms similar to every other non-third-world country. It is just too easy for lunatics to buy/find/use guns when they lose their marbles. If you think allowing firearms is a good idea or is a right, how about citizens having their own personal nukes? Freedom, right?

85.  Joe said on Sept. 28, 2010

Today is a sad day, not only because of what happened but also because of the fact that it could have been prevented. Wasn't last week Suicide Prevention Week? We should all start becoming more conscious of our surroundings. I'm glad nobody else was hurt, though, and the authorities and the school did have an amazing response.

86.  Barbara Griego said on Sept. 28, 2010

I used to live in Austin and have a good friend who works on campus at UT. I work for the Emergency Preparedness and Safety Coordinator on my campus and we are constantly concerned about safety in these types of situations. Unfortunately many staff, faculty and students are in denial that this could happen on their campus. The best way to handle this situation is to be prepared for it. Sign up for the emergency text alerts and get yourself to training on how to react in these types of situations. As tragic as some of the events in history's past have been, a lot has been learned on how to react and even prevent these things from happening. Don't be an innocent victim ... be a prepared and educated citizen.

87.  Audry Skiles said on Sept. 28, 2010

Colton Tooley

88.  Karen said on Sept. 28, 2010

I just want to thank God for protecting everyone today at UT. Thanks to all who were praying! I believe prayer is powerful and I know there were countless prayers being said today. As a parent when something like this happens you feel so helpless knowing you are hours away and can't do anything. Our family is very grateful to the UT Police Department and all the other law enforcement personnel that were looking out for our kids and staff today. We can't say thank you enough and God Bless you for what you do daily.

89.  Thuy Trang Dao said on Sept. 28, 2010

This morning was bad for me, but thank God nobody was injured by gunshot.

Leaving home early for CH369 test this morning, but I got stuck behind a "stop sign" school bus for 10 minutes, stuck on I-35 for about 40 minutes because of a truck accident, ran to class late by 10 minutes and couldn't finish test. Stuck in classroom because of lock down and had no phone signal to contact my husband.

I felt relieved when I heard the shooter was dead and he didn't shoot anybody at my UT.

90.  RGeurtz said on Sept. 28, 2010

Great job at managing a fast-changing and dangerous situation! I am very impressed! Loved getting the e-mails, etc.

91.  Christina said on Sept. 28, 2010

I would like to thank UT for preparing in advance for an event like this. The university offers safety training for staff, plus they post fliers that explain what to do in the case of armed or disruptive individuals. Between the e-mail system, texts, siren and emergency link on their main Web page, it was possible to keep informed as the situation developed. The university and the police did a wonderful job today.

92.  Thomas M. Hunt said on Sept. 28, 2010

As a faculty member, I want to express my deepest appreciation to those who put together UT's crisis response plan. Given the size and complexity of our campus, your effort in designing an incredibly effective set of procedures will long be remembered. Although the risk of violence can never be entirely eliminated, you have provided a wonderful service to this institution. Again - and on behalf of my students especially - thank you.

93.  utbevo said on Sept. 28, 2010

Pray for the shooter's family.

94.  BCA said on Sept. 28, 2010

The fact that the shooter walked a good distance through campus firing random shots but not killing anyone shouldn't provide much comfort - especially to those who do not favor concealed carry on campus. If this shooter was intent on killing others, it seems he easily could have done so. Being licensed to carry a concealed weapon myself, I can tell you there is lengthy firearm, legal, emotional, and situational training one completes before being licensed to carry. Further, there are many stringent requirements to obtain a CHL and complete background checks are done. Carrying a concealed weapon is a very serious responsibility. Students who oppose concealed weapons on campus might feel differently had (a) others in this incident been killed by this shooter - like at Virginia Tech - and (b) a concealed carry licensee had stopped a shooter intent on killing innocent students, therefore saving them. That scenario is entirely plausible. Remember, police don't prevent many crimes, they mostly investigate crimes that have already been committed. How many times have people said, "Where's a policeman when you need one"?

95.  CEC said on Sept. 28, 2010

UT and the law enforcement did an excellent job. I am so glad all turned out well.

96.  concerned parent said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am relieved to know that all students/staff/faculty are safe; grateful to the university, university police and Austin police for their prompt response and keeping everyone safe; angry that something like this can happen on a college campus; and thankful that concealed weapons did not complicate the threat or investigations (I fear it's only a matter of time when they will).

97.  Jaclyn said on Sept. 28, 2010

I used to be a student at this wonderful university during the whole 9/11 times...I just want to say I am very impressed with how you guys handle emergency situations. Every time something wacky happened, you were on top of it both efficiently and with great professionalism. GREAT job!

98.  Chris said on Sept. 28, 2010

Did anyone know the guy? Why do you think he would have done this? Speak up please.

99.  Jason said on Sept. 28, 2010

THANK GOD no one was killed except the shooter. It's easy to assess whether or not CHL holders should be permitted to carry weapons in hindsight. At VTech you'd say yes, here, you'd say no. In this situation, the school did a great job but the shooter was probably either conflicted and uncertain on attempting to methodically kill a mass number of people, or was untrained/unskilled with firearms. No matter how good security is, a well planned shooting by someone who is skilled with firearms is going to kill/injure a lot of people. To believe otherwise is naive. The idea that CHL holders are going to be running around shooting at each other is also naive. An intelligent, responsible CHL holder would be calm and wait for the opportunity to use his weapon on a person only when it became obvious he/she was in fact the shooter. We could require training for these situations so that CHL holders would know to take this kind of action. In the end though, again, THANK GOD no one was killed except the shooter.

100.  Columbia Mishra said on Sept. 28, 2010

I am happy that people are safe but sad at the occurrence of such a event on campus...these events are traumatic for the ones witnessing and makes us think what can be done to prevent any of these from happening again. Life can be stressful but inner peace and consideration for others may be practiced by us all so that nothing like this happens again in our campus or elsewhere. Hope everybody involved mentally recovers quickly.

101.  kerry said on Sept. 30, 2010

to andrew kelling: stop and think. if untrained immature individuals had the right to open carry fire arms on campus i shudder to think of the mayham that would result. let the law enforcement officials do thier jobs with this. the event turned out a best as it could. no one was hurt.

102.  Theresa said on Sept. 30, 2010

Thank you for your swift response. As a mother of a student I feel my son is in a school that is serious about protecting their students and staff.