University of Texas at Austin One of Two U.S. Sites for Olympic Studies Center

Feb. 28, 2011

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin's H.J. Lutcher Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports has been selected by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to be an Olympic Studies Center (OSC).

It is only the second research facility in the nation to receive that distinction and has been named the Institute for Olympic Studies.

In order to become an OSC, the Stark Center first had to obtain the backing of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC). When that was accomplished, the International Olympic Committee determined that the Stark Center had the staff and holdings to make significant contributions to the study of the Olympic movement.

A determining factor in the IOC's decision was the Stark Center's substantial and long-term study of doping in sport. Center Co-Directors Dr. Terry Todd and Dr. Jan Todd, Assistant Director for Academic Affairs Dr. Thomas Hunt, Dr. Kim Beckwith, associate editor of "Iron Game History" and center associates such as Dr. John Hoberman, professor of Germanic languages, have researched the topic extensively, and it's anticipated that being named an OSC will stimulate further research at The University of Texas at Austin on the Olympic movement.

Cindy Slater, the Stark Center's associate director of library services, served for more than 20 years as manager of library and archives for the U.S. Olympic Committee Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Dr. Terry Todd indicated there are plans to produce future publications on Olympic topics through the Todd book series with UT Press. The first book in that series, released in January, was Thomas Hunt's "Drug Games: The International Olympic Committee and the Politics of Doping."

The Institute for Olympic Studies will generate journal articles, sponsor lectures and hold symposia. A group of faculty, students and staff affiliated with the Stark Center has partnered with members of the 1968 U.S. Olympic team to create an oral history of that year's games. The group has interviewed U.S. Olympic team members Tom Lough, Jim Moore and Doug Russell and has a slate of additional interviews set up through the spring of this year.

"We've wanted for some time to be able to establish a research entity focusing on the Olympic movement," said Dr. Terry Todd. "When the center moved into its new home in 2009, we finally had the staff and space we needed to be able to pool our resources and work with other like-minded entities on campus to make a really significant contribution toward understanding how sports, physical activity and fair play can be better understood."

Founded by scholar-athletes Terry and Jan Todd, the 27,500-square-foot Stark Center is an internationally recognized research facility within the College of Education's Department of Kinesiology and Health Education. It is at the north end of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium and is open to scholars for research purposes, as well as to the public.

For more information, contact: Kay Randall, College of Education, 512 471 6033.

9 Comments to "University of Texas at Austin One of Two U.S. Sites for Olympic Studies Center"

1.  Nick Crimmins said on Feb. 28, 2011

WOW! Major congratulations! This is so awesome.

2.  Casey Lee Robinson said on March 3, 2011

A much deserved honor for the Stark Center. Congrats to you all!

3.  Glenn Taylor said on March 3, 2011

I was living in Mexico City during the 1968 Olympics and attended many of the events. I have many 35 mm slides and some newspaper stories from these games. If you are interested in borrowing this material, pleased let me know. I witnessed Beaman's incredible long jump, Fosbury's intro of the "flop" and the black glove demonstration on the winner's stand.

4.  Jimmy Conner said on March 3, 2011

Congratulations to Terry and Jan. A well deserved honor. I know their efforts and reputations were instrumental in this decision. I would encourage everyone to visit and support this facility

5.  Jake Margo, Jr. said on March 4, 2011

Congrats to the Todds! Their hard work continues to pay dividends. I'm also glad to not have been around during the latest move of the collection. :)

6.  Ron Freeman said on March 5, 2011

Congratulations!

This is a great initiative in the name of the Olympic Spirit.

7.  Caroline Pingatore Holmes said on March 5, 2011

I think this is a great move by the IOC and the USOC as a 68 Olympian I think the University will make this a big success.

8.  Jan Henne said on March 6, 2011

Wow!! Congratulations to all of you involved in having this vision, combined with many many hours of endless work in making your vision become a reality!! As a member of the 1968 Womens Olympic Swimming team I want to personally thank all of you for giving us a home for our various artifacts from those particular Olympics. When you get ready to receive some artifacts, I still have some of my artifacts that I wore there: Opening Day Ceremony Dress, Skirt & Jacket of the Womens Traveling Uniform, my swim suit that I wore when I won the Gold Medal in the 100 mtr. Freestyle & 400 Freestyle & 2 other events that I medaled in, as well as my official Sweats worn throughout all of my races. You may have these when and if you decide that you have any use for them. As for my medals, they have already been promised to my children, who just may decide to let you have them as well, if you decide that you have any use for them. Anyway, just let me know, when you get to that phase of this project that you have
so eagerly undertaken!!
Thanks again to all of you for promoting such an educational, informative, and worthwhile project!!

9.  Doris Brown Heritage said on March 29, 2011

This is great news! Thanks for your communications, Tom.
Thanks to all involved in the process of making this possible and especially to the Todds and the University.
doris brown heritage